2022 USMNT Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

Sloppy passing on both sides. I think partly the cold and it’s turf. We had bad marking on the goal but have given pretty good pressure. Very physical and a bit chippy out there. We are the aggressor out there. Great save by Canadian goalie.

Sloppy passing on both sides. I think partly the cold and it’s turf. We had bad marking on the goal but have given pretty good pressure. Very physical and a bit chippy out there. We are the aggressor out there. Great save by Canadian goalie.

Much harder ball when it's cold for sure. Passes are short or long and probably will be all game.

Can’t wait to sub till the 80 minute like we did last Canada match.

I mean Pulisic is being wasted this match and McKennie, Adams and Musah will get tired.

I hate how much starting out of the back we are doing. It will bite us.
Pulisic has to find his space. He is either getting hacked or not making smart decisions. He needs to make runs and give space. He wants the ball so bad he is coming back and spacing is bad. When he gets it he wants to take team on. He made 1 really good run and Weston missed the pass that would have been a shot on goal for sure

Pulisic has to find his space. He is either getting hacked or not making smart decisions. He needs to make runs and give space. He wants the ball so bad he is coming back and spacing is bad. When he gets it he wants to take team on. He made 1 really good run and Weston missed the pass that would have been a shot on goal for sure

Yeah he honestly isn't even a great selection for this matchup. Narrow pitch really limits what he can do let alone not being in great form.

We don’t have a shot on target except the corner and Gregg won’t make changes yet.

PUT ON PEPI already.

There isn’t a single question about today’s game that Jordan Morris is the answer to
When that dude took MLS money over challenging himself in Europe. I wasn’t high on his future.

Berhalter with the Jim Boeheim hockey line substitution:

Hope Adams is okay.

Once again will be questions to answer after this one. I would like to see non concacaf nation officials be considered at some point too. This was a joke of a match. Hockey qualifier.

This team couldn’t score if they had 5 games… pathetic. There is zero plan or strategy moving forward.

This team couldn’t score if they had 5 games… pathetic. There is zero plan or strategy moving forward.
Let’s wait 65 minutes to sub and do a hockey line change.

When Canada subs there guys help.
And don’t even bring up Jordan Morris and Zardes at striker.

Congrats Canada the advantage in managers is miles apart.

USA is a mess on the road.

Congrats Canada the advantage in managers is miles apart.

USA is a mess on the road.
How does this loss affect our qualification status for the WC? What percentage are we through the process right now? Early?

How does this loss affect our qualification status for the WC? What percentage are we through the process right now? Early?
We are going to make it.
Canada is good a top the table.

We need to beat Honduras, Panama at home.
Costa Rica and Mexico pray for 1 point on the road.

I think we will make it but our manager just blows.

Just wait until Panama and Mexico take three tonight, and we somehow get a draw Wednesday

Adams getting the arm band tells me Pulisic is only going 60.

I can’t believe Adams can go 180 in 4 days.
He can’t play Wednesday. I like we are being aggressive with these selections. We need a draw atleast.

Yeah, he overplays Adams in particular. Zardes is never going to get you a goal as a starter, but can be an impact sub. Wish he had held a couple of these guys back for Game 3 of this window.

You are correct that Berhalter's system of pressing and playing from the back will not beat better competition but I do agree with the approach. We need to learn how to play on the front foot, especially in Concacaf, something we have almost never done in our history as, until this group of players, we have never had the talent to do so. If we get to Qatar, the approach will have to be modified against teams with more talent that us. A bunker and counter team, IMO, cannot be a top-level team in modern football. You have to be able to take the game to your opponent. We are not there yet but need to keep grinding to get there.

I agree with you; the modern approach to the game requires us to play from the back, although we can be a bit more direct doing so. And until some of our players get better at playing this way (especially in the defense and defensive midfield), I think the way to beat better teams is using 3 at the back to be more solid, so we can push the wingbacks a bit higher up the field and create width for the attack. 3-4-3 requires a true target man at the 9, which is like saying the SU football team needs defensive linemen - it's been going on forever.

With a 3-5-2, you can have two somewhat-lesser attackers, individually, but they can combine off of each other (think Pulisic and Pepi, or even Pulisic and Reyna, since they both like coming inside ...), and it still gives us 3 in midfield, where most games are won and lost, and we can keep MMA on the field. I think Robinson and Dest might be more dangerous as wingbacks, too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom