2022 USMNT Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

I would think Striker would be the easiest thing for an athletic kid in the US to become a dominant player at.. be physical, control the ball for short bursts and get into space. too bad we struggle at getting our best athletes into the sport to start with.

Playing striker is like being a big man in basketball on the offensive end.

OK, Berhalter qualifies for Qatar, and they go out in the group stage.

Berhalter clearly can't be retained. Who are the European candidates? What characteristics would we like them to have to fit our style of play?

Some discussion, for fun.

Point 1 - English speaking - yes or no? I think "yes", not that it has to be their first language, but they have to (a) get their ideas across on the pitch, and ((b) have to be able to deal with the media in a convincing fashion.

Point 2 - Should they know MLS? It's our feeding ground for the national team, and even if you point to all the European based players these days, a lot of them were discovered by Euro teams' connections to academies in the US.

Point 3 - How unique is CONCACAF qualifying? It seems biased as hell to me, full of crappy fields and unfair gamesmanship. Do the nasty parts of European rivalries prepare coaches for an away game where bags of piss are being thrown at your players on the corners? Are any South American leagues like that? I would guess "yes". So maybe somebody with CONMEBOL experience could anticipate the worst that we encounter in qualifying.

Point 4 - As a national team, we have moved beyond the bunker and counter style of play we played out of necessity from 1994 to 2018. It's a different game now. Even Mourinho can't win (at least in England) with that style of football anymore. Bob Bradley or Bruce Arena are of that school, so don't even mention them.

So who fits that profile? Who might be interested in a couple years' time? Who might fit? A list of names, and some random thoughts. Feel free to add your own.

EDDIE HOWE - English speaking, plays expansive football, still able to compete at a relatively high level in the Premier League with decidedly less talented teams. Might be available, might make a good choice for several years, like Roberto Martinez was for Belgium. Similar profile: Graham Potter, Brighton, although I think if Newcastle doesn't avoid the drop, Eddie Howe may be available, while Potter may be looking for better Premier League jobs.

ANTONIO CONTE - Say what you want about his temper, he wouldn't be able to argue with the front office about their lack of investment in the squad! LOL Tactically, this guy is in the top 5 in the world, and has already managed his beloved Italia. I could see him making the US tight at the back, and teaching the midfield and attack the proper rotations, etc. Where to be there, when to arrive. He's great at that stuff. Chelsea players used to get bored with the repetition in practice, but for a national team, where he sees them less often, his structure approach is amazing. Just look at how Italy did under him. He knows the 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 better than anybody, probably in history, and look how he transformed the Premier League in just a season from a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 league to everyone suddenly experimenting with 3 in the back. Brilliant coach. We could challenge with him, IMO.

JULIAN NAGELSMAN / JESSE MARSCH - Nagelsman might be available in a couple years (Marsch perhaps sooner, if he doesn't turn thing around ...). Coaches in a similar style, both young and upcoming. I know you mostly think these kinds of coaches are out of reach. But let's just say one of them takes the job and then wins the WORLD CUP WITH AMERiCA. You don't think that guy can write his own ticket for the rest of his career? And what's the downside? Nobody expects us to win, even on home soil? I think it comes down to how much our European talent continues to impress a global audience. I think the overall respect for MLS is growing, as it becomes more international. As the financial rules loosen (as they sell more promising players to Europe ...), the quality of players will continue to improve, and the qualify of our player pool.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Judgment free zone. We're not all football experts here, we're just fans with opinions.
Pie in the sky?

Conte, without hesitation.

Pie in the sky?

Conte, without hesitation.

Another article critical of Berhalter for making the USMNT play too mechanically, too concerned with offensive shape, rather than attacking open space after a turnover generated by the press.

The previous article I just linked on the Canada game demonstrated how attacking players are too tentative going forward. They need a little more reckless abandon in attack, and a little less of the counting of your dance steps, "one and two and three and four".

considering how so many of the goals we give up is because we have bad form on the backend while attacking not sure its a bad thing.. the way we finish is going forward gonna result in more goals than we allow with our mistakes?

considering how so many of the goals we give up is because we have bad form on the backend while attacking not sure its a bad thing.. the way we finish is going forward gonna result in more goals than we allow with our mistakes?

We're not terrible at the back; we're giving up only 0.7 per game. Anything under 1.0 is acceptable, and below 0.5 is exceptional. So our defense is pretty good, but granted this is not elite competition in CONCACAF, just unique competition. It is it's own animal. Sort of a step above semi-pro sandlot futbol.

Going forward is the problem right now. We're only scoring 1.3 goals per game. That means that if you're going to win, you have to usually pitch a shutout, and you can't count on doing that every single game to win 1-0. It's too hard to sustain, and mistakes on set pieces, an error at the back, etc., those things happen.

We need better offense because we have players of that skill, without opening up the defense too much in the process, like Lampard did in his time at Chelsea. Berhalter is kind of like Tuchel, but nowhere near his class tactically. But he has an idea of how he wants to play, is perhaps a bit too rigid, and neither of their offenses have really clicked comparable to the talent level.

There's maybe two or three guys who bring intensity every damn match

But you have to admit, the last couple years have been really weird for all of them as young professionals. Quarantine and no spectators, then some spectators, then new shut downs.

Schedules have been compressed to keep all the competitions going, and meanwhile a lot of these guys haven't had more than a week or two off in over 2 years. Something's gotta give, and I think it's intensity in performance.

They hardly play 3 times a week at the big clubs (or, I should say, they rarely used to). But that's what they're doing in these qualifiers, which used to a break from the intensity of your club team. I'm glad Berhalter scouted about 100 guys for our national team. Now he's gotta start USING them, and he has to play more on the forward foot, more aggressive offensively.

That's a pretty rough comment. These are still young guys.
It is a rough comment but I do wonder if he has a point and it's one Ive been wondering myself as far as in regards to playing in the CONCACAF environment. Do we miss a guy like Gomez who was playing in Mexico or even Donovan who had experience growing up in SD with that style of play? Is it why Pepi has been excelling?

So if the US wins and gets to 21

Dont we really want a Mex win as well?

US 21
Mex 21
Pan 17

If we beat Pan they max out at 23 and we have 24
If we lose to Pan we still are ahead of them and control our destiny
if we tie us 22 and they have 18 and they need to sweep to have a chance.

Better than
US 21
Mex 19
Pan 18

or
US 21
Pan 20
Mex 18

we beat panama and have 24 and they can still get to 24
We lose to pan and we are tied at 21 with choas all over

CR game is still gonna be a pain. Would help to see Jam win a game..

So if the US wins and gets to 21

Dont we really want a Mex win as well?

US 21
Mex 21
Pan 17

If we beat Pan they max out at 23 and we have 24
If we lose to Pan we still are ahead of them and control our destiny
if we tie us 22 and they have 18 and they need to sweep to have a chance.

Better than
US 21
Mex 19
Pan 18

or
US 21
Pan 20
Mex 18

we beat panama and have 24 and they can still get to 24
We lose to pan and we are tied at 21 with choas all over

CR game is still gonna be a pain. Would help to see Jam win a game..

I know we haven’t won down there in something like 8 tries, but their stars are getting old. They could rise up and beat us, like their recent surprise victory over Panama, pretty sure it was (not looking it up). That’s a key game but I think we can get a result there.

Jordan Morris starting a must win WCQ.
What the bleep.

Weston McKennie you are a beast starting 3 games in 6 days.

Morris will likely shut up me and score tonight but roster selection is so bad.

My guy Luca de la Torre starting. Very exciting, hope he takes his chance. He's a great passer and can progress the ball. It's an abomination that this game is being played in St. Paul. Even after the 2018 qualifying debacle, most of the Federation got off scot-free. IMO the USSF still does not do enough to grow the sport in this country. They only look to secure their pockets.

I wasn’t very excited about Accosta but he has looked really good with set pieces and that set up to Weah.

I won't complain (but will)

2-0 feels like.it should have been 3-0 or 4-0 at half.

They need a game where they purge emotions out and just bang home goal after goal.

I won't complain (but will)

2-0 feels like.it should have been 3-0 or 4-0 at half.

They need a game where they purge emotions out and just bang home goal after goal.
I mean sure but Weah had 2 solid chances. One the keep barley got a hand on it and the other he was so close to the keeper. He sorta blew that one

16 years ago I had a day of job interviews for a Corporate Finance gig at Target’s HQ in downtown Minneapolis.

It was late November and frigid. As tough as CNY winters are, I’d take 10 feet of snow a year over the bone chilling frozen temps of MN.

I can’t imagine playing a soccer game outdoors in early February…in Minnesota.

Miserable.

Glad they’re winning!

Morris out and Pulisic slots it home.

Why start a dude with 2 ACL injuries in his past at striker!?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom