2022 USMNT Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

So against Canada do we come out aggressive and attacking or will we sit back and play stall ball D?

Canada is going to push the pace and be aggressive all game, we might as well trust the back line and keeper to do their jobs and come out aggressive and push the pace ourselves.

I hope Berhalter learned his lesson with playing for the tie in that first window when we started with a draw at home, then went on the road against an inferior opponent and drew again. When you play for a draw, you often lose to a lucky goal. You have to go out and play and show your opponent some respect, but not too much.

looking at the can-hond match.. Hond really had the better of play.. more possession, more shots, more corners. That own goal really turned the tide and Canada didnt do much except for one long breakout pass goal. Do we really want to sit back and change our tactics when the weakness of our team is mistakes in the back end.

When I look at Berhalter I am looking for a progression from Klinnsman. Arena doesn't count to me. Klinsmann opened the door for the European talent splash. That was for sure a big move. He also started the effort to essentially experiment anytime he could.

Greg is a good coach for rallying the troops. They like him and his message comes across. His lineup selections, and Klinnsman like experimentation don't make sense to me at times. I think as a whole that piece of his approach has limited our forward progression.

I do think he is improving in his role marginally but still struggles, especially in getting the right 11 on the pitch the first 45. So many sluggish starts vs much weaker opponents. That approach results in a razor thin margin of error. ES came 18 inches away from a huge goal against the run of play.

The other thing that is hard to place is that Berhalter is not getting what we need out of the Reyna and Pulisics of the roster. Even Mckennie has been mixed results. Some of that is the wrong lineup combos, some appears to be that while liked, his command of the squad is not what it needs to be to maximize the talent finding the right mix and getting them to buy into what he needs them to do. It's often a weird situation when your NTC is lobbying or pushing you to a better club situation. It's not clear with Greg's approach around this. For certain he hasn't helped anyone's case that I have seen. Not to mention the injuries that have occurred in WCQ and cup games that arguably can come back to matchups and lineup choices.

All that said Greg has been good for us in some ways but is still a stepping stone. My concern is he won't be able to harness and guide the talent we have in Qatar and we go home after group. The Asia and African nations can bite you with a single goal. They will finish better than most of concacaf. Going down 1-0 then trying to unlock 11 behind the ball is still a major worry for me from what I have seen.

So color me lukewarm vs completely cynical here.

Last edited:
When I look at Berhalter I am looking for a progression from Klinnsman. Arena doesn't count to me. Klinsmann opened the door for the European talent splash. That was for sure a big move. He also started the effort to essentially experiment anytime he could.

Greg is a good coach for rallying the troops. They like him and his message comes across. His lineup selections, and Klinnsman like experimentation don't make sense to me at times. I think as a whole that piece of his approach has limited our forward progression.

I do think he is improving in his role marginally but still struggles, especially in getting the right 11 on the pitch the first 45. So many sluggish starts vs much weaker opponents. That approach results in a razor thin margin of error. ES came 18 inches away from a huge goal against the run of play.

The other thing that is hard to place is that Berhalter is not getting what we need out of the Reyna and Pulisics of the roster. Even Mckennie has been mixed results. Some of that is the wrong lineup combos, some appears to be that while liked, his command of the squad is not what it needs to be to maximize the talent finding the right mix and getting them to buy into what he needs them to do. It's often a weird situation when your NTC is lobbying or pushing you to a better club situation. It's not clear with Greg's approach around this. For certain he hasn't helped anyone's case that I have seen. Not to mention the injuries that have occurred in WCQ and cup games that arguably can come back to matchups and lineup choices.

All that said Greg has been good for us in some ways but is still a stepping stone. My concern is he won't be able to harness and guide the talent we have in Qatar and we go home after group. The Asia and African nations can bite you with a single goal. They will finish better than most of concacaf. Going down 1-0 then trying to unlock 11 behind the ball is still a major worry for me from what I have seen.

This is a good nuanced view. I agree almost completely.
I think he is going to get the team to Qatar, and then there are going to be a disappointing result or two that costs us, and then we will be looking (I hope) for a European coach (although with some national team experience) to guide us into 2026.

I hope Berhalter learned his lesson with playing for the tie in that first window when we started with a draw at home, then went on the road against an inferior opponent and drew again. When you play for a draw, you often lose to a lucky goal. You have to go out and play and show your opponent some respect, but not too much.
But how many of the top 10 (field players) do you bring back for Canada and then not have them for Honduras?

I don't think a line-up of mostly 12-22, which is what I would do, can take the game to Canada.

Hence, my advocating playing for a point.

the unknown is how did Canada roll last game with their roster. did they play their A guys?
we played had an easy recovery and a short flight.. canada played, had a long flight and a longer recovery start.

But how many of the top 10 (field players) do you bring back for Canada and then not have them for Honduras?

I don't think a line-up of mostly 12-22, which is what I would do, can take the game to Canada.

Hence, my advocating playing for a point.

If McKennie hadn't twisted an ankle at the end, I would've played him or Adams for 60 minutes vs. Canada, maybe start Acosta for this one. Some rotation, but I think guys like Pulisic, who hasn't been playing much for their clubs, could play 90-60-75 in the 3 games. I think you could look at some of their key guys like that - not a full rest, but managing their minutes.

I give Berhalter really high marks for rebuilding the entire program after the debacle of 2018.

And he seems to have created tight cohesion within the locker room.

I think, as he has figured out his team, there is less experimentation in terms of formations and positions than there was earlier in qualifying and back into the summer although this last game was a problem).

Having said all of the above, I agree completely with your concerns and the reasons for those concerns.

He is not a next level coach, at this time, and I have my doubts as to whether he can become a next level coach.

The key to coaching is putting your optimal eleven on the pitch, not necessarily your best eleven, and then making sure each player's role on the field contributes to that optimality. I think he is struggling in this area.

Let me give you an example which, I believe, 100% support your point:

The big problem in the first El Salvador game was spacing upfront. Reyna was deployed as a winger but kept cutting inside to the point that he and Pepi were on top of each other. Aaronson, who in this game was deployed as the third leg of the midfield trident, was also consistently invading that same space. 3 guys in the same area is no bueno. McKennie also kept rushing into that same space.

What was fixed? Well, Weah was the right wing for this game, instead of Reyna, and he thrives in that role - both staying advanced and providing width. McKennie's spacing with Weah was much better and the trident of the two of them and Dest was very effective. No coincidence that most of the danger came down the right-hand side.

What stayed broken? Well, Pulisic took on the role of Reyna in this game, continually cutting into the middle of the field (which was packed with el Salvadoreans, btw). This created poor spacing between him and Musah (and took away the vertical thrusts down the channel that make Musah so effective) and also took away the width on the left side of the field.

What did Berhalter completely screw up? Ferreira's role in the game was more akin to a false 9 (To be clear, I did not realize this. I had to read it.) his dropping back into the midfield was by design (my assumption was that he was hunting the game) in order to help with possession. It is really hard to play the role of a false nine effectively and it is really hard to play with a false nine. Looking at teams that have had success with a false nine is looking at a who's who of great teams. Looking at a roster of successful false nines includes Messi, Benzema, Totti...We give you Ferreira??? While the idea was tactically sound, we just don't have the personnel, nor the soccer IQ, to execute it.

Much like the Honduras game with the formation change and putting Adams at RB, this was, IMHO, pure over-think.

Greg, you are not Guardiola and you do not have Lionel Messi, Xavi and Iniesta on your roster. This is also Concacaf, not Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. KISS and execute.

I give Berhalter really high marks for rebuilding the entire program after the debacle of 2018.

And he seems to have created tight cohesion within the locker room.

I think, as he has figured out his team, there is less experimentation in terms of formations and positions than there was earlier in qualifying and back into the summer although this last game was a problem).

Having said all of the above, I agree completely with your concerns and the reasons for those concerns.

He is not a next level coach, at this time, and I have my doubts as to whether he can become a next level coach.

The key to coaching is putting your optimal eleven on the pitch, not necessarily your best eleven, and then making sure each player's role on the field contributes to that optimality. I think he is struggling in this area.

Let me give you an example which, I believe, 100% support your point:

The big problem in the first El Salvador game was spacing upfront. Reyna was deployed as a winger but kept cutting inside to the point that he and Pepi were on top of each other. Aaronson, who in this game was deployed as the third leg of the midfield trident, was also consistently invading that same space. 3 guys in the same area is no bueno. McKennie also kept rushing into that same space.

What was fixed? Well, Weah was the right wing for this game, instead of Reyna, and he thrives in that role - both staying advanced and providing width. McKennie's spacing with Weah was much better and the trident of the two of them and Dest was very effective. No coincidence that most of the danger came down the right-hand side.

What stayed broken? Well, Pulisic took on the role of Reyna in this game, continually cutting into the middle of the field (which was packed with el Salvadoreans, btw). This created poor spacing between him and Musah (and took away the vertical thrusts down the channel that make Musah so effective) and also took away the width on the left side of the field.

What did Berhalter completely screw up? Ferreira's role in the game was more akin to a false 9 (To be clear, I did not realize this. I had to read it.) his dropping back into the midfield was by design (my assumption was that he was hunting the game) in order to help with possession. It is really hard to play the role of a false nine effectively and it is really hard to play with a false nine. Looking at teams that have had success with a false nine is looking at a who's who of great teams. Looking at a roster of successful false nines includes Messi, Benzema, Totti...We give you Ferreira??? While the idea was tactically sound, we just don't have the personnel, nor the soccer IQ, to execute it.

Much like the Honduras game with the formation change and putting Adams at RB, this was, IMHO, pure over-think.

Greg, you are not Guardiola and you do not have Lionel Messi, Xavi and Iniesta on your roster. This is also Concacaf, not Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. KISS and execute.

Yep spot on. One of the problems with both American players and coaches is that they are still learning how to appropriately both understand and execute appropriate spacing. With many still not growing up around the game and a universally football culture- its still a matter of the mind getting in the way of the execution. We for sure have more guys than ever with natural instincts and understanding of spacing and where, when and how relative to possession based football. The same goes for 1 v 1 instincts and touch on the ball.

The big thing though and it's something you can analyze in our understanding of the game the way its supposed to be played is that we have to get over that hump of learning vs instinct that brings together players and coaching to that next level.

A good analogy for those non footballers who read this thread is basketball in this country. It's a sport many of us have played. I myself was too small and never would have gone anywhere but still have plenty of game in a standard pick up game. You watch a pickup game and you see guys who understand where to make a cut, setting different types of screens, taking their man 1 v 1. You see a PG getting people organized or switching things up. This all in a pickup game of nobodies. When you get to the highest level - it becomes about the size, speed and skill margins. The other stuff, the spacing, general understanding of concepts has been there since grade school. This is what football centric cultures have that we don't yet. We are getting there and do need that next level coach who can bring that with good leadership as well to the growing list of true instinctually and athletically gifted American footballers.

Berhalter insists on attempting tactics that don't fit the team, plays against players strengths, and wants to operate in an overly specific way that makes our best players worse. The team looks better when he rolls out a more vanilla gameplan.
Results this summer were excellent, but the performances sucked! How many 1-0 games did we win at the Gold Cup where we were thoroughly outplayed?
What cpold possibly justify Berhalter's insistence on starting Paul Arriola for 3 consecutive crucial qualifiers over Timothy Weah.
It can’t be said enough Berhalter should thank Tyler Adams like no other player. While Pulisic is our best player Berhalter’s system relies on Adams.
Starting Ferreria this past match just a terrible selection.

Berhalter’s system of pressing and playing from the back doesn’t fit the talent we have when we play good competition. Our back 4 is sloppy with the ball and when they get pressure have given up turnovers and goals.

Berhalter has beaten Mexico the last 3 times I give him that but the talent this team has never been higher and we constantly play down the competition. He will finish this cycle. I hope we do well at the WC and make a move for a manager that can unleash this talent.

I play Musah at 6,Reyna at 7, McKennie at 8, Pulisic at 9 and then play your top 2 options from the attacking grab bag. Personally i like rotating Pefok, Pepi, and Dike at 10.
Put Weah in the rotation.

We have talent. The manager we chose was hired because his brother was part of the process.
I very much appreciate this response. It is the first time, IMO, that you have given the reasoning behind your thinking in this thread and, whether I agree with it, or not, I respect that.

You nail it with your first two sentences. if you read some of my posts below, you will see me providing examples which dovetail with your thinking.

I discount the summer. The Gold Cup was played with the B and C teams and the goal should have been to find players to round out the roster (mission accomplished in that regard). No B & C team is going to dominate the competition.

I agree with you that Adams is, currently, our most indispensable player. I also agree with you about the Ferreira decision (highlighted in another post).

Your statement about Arriola is not accurate. he has only started one qualifier that Weah did not start (the 2-0 win over Jamaica). And Weah has started every game since that game. I think Berhalter, to his credit, has clearly recognized his value to the team, both as one of the best 11 as well as one of the optimal 11.

You are correct that Berhalter's system of pressing and playing from the back will not beat better competition but I do agree with the approach. We need to learn how to play on the front foot, especially in Concacaf, something we have almost never done in our history as, until this group of players, we have never had the talent to do so. If we get to Qatar, the approach will have to be modified against teams with more talent that us. A bunker and counter team, IMO, cannot be a top-level team in modern football. You have to be able to take the game to your opponent. We are not there yet but need to keep grinding to get there.

I will say as nicely as I can that your lack of in-depth soccer knowledge is highlighted in your sentence about who should play where. To be clear, I am not denigrating you in any fashion. You do not have to be Jonathan Wilson to have a valid opinion and if a lack of in-depth understanding means you miss a nuance, well, that happens to all of us (I completely missed Ferreira playing as a false 9 against El Salvador and I've been watching, playing and coaching this sport for over 40 years.)

Adams is the 6. Period.

Reyna, in his lone appearance, did play the wing. He is not suited to playing that position. This is something Berhalter will have to figure out when Reyna is healthy again. Reyna is more suited to play centrally but having him do so in a 4-3-3 takes either Mckennie or Musah off the field. That is not a trade I would make.

McKennie is the 8.

Pulisic is not a 9.

Pefok, Pepi and Dike are not 10s. They play the 9. If we were to play with a 10 (we currently do not in our 4-3-3), I could see either Pulisic (probably not ideal) or Reyna (better option) in that role. Given the roles that players have on the field, Pulisic is probably the closest to a number 10 even though he is technically a winger.

Last edited:
Let’s get it, boys!
There is a reason they call it "American" football in other countries.

I will watch the conference championships live and DVR the US-Canada game - and I am as big a USMNT fan as anyone.

I will watch the conference championships live and DVR the US-Canada game - and I am as big a USMNT fan as anyone.
i would dvr it too but isnt it streaming only today?

I’m going USMNT on the big tv and the championship round on my iPad. I’ve been way too invested in this WC Qualifying tourney and really love this team.

Last edited:
Spanish channels...
i live in the Syracuse northern suburbs. Spectrum customer. My guide says NBC Universo is showing the US-Canada game. Pregame starts at 2:30 pm. Channel is 898. And yes, Forza is correct. El Telecast es en Espanol.

If you happen to be a subscriber to 247, you get Paramont Plus for ‘free’. I am going that route, with NBC Universo as my backup plan.

i get paramount on directv but they dont have a game, paramount plus is streaming only so I will just watch it after it ends since I wont be home in time to watch it start.

Wasn’t a convincing result for Canada against Honduras. Keeper made some big stops. Would settle for a point today.

Let’s get it, boys!
Here is my gripe, tell me if I’m just old and not understanding. I have direct tv with the sports package. Paramount has the game. I went to the paramount channel and low and behold fing Grease is on at that time. John Travolta is an ok actor ONJ is pretty atractive for sure. Some catchy songs. The only way I can watch this game is to buy paramount to stream or watch it on one of two Spanish speaking channels. Am I missing something? WT actual F. Annoyed as hell

Here is my gripe, tell me if I’m just old and not understanding. I have direct tv with the sports package. Paramount has the game. I went to the paramount channel and low and behold fing Grease is on at that time. John Travolta is an ok actor ONJ is pretty atractive for sure. Some catchy songs. The only way I can watch this game is to buy paramount to stream or watch it on one of two Spanish speaking channels. Am I missing something? WT actual F. Annoyed as hell
Agreed. These games should be on NBC or if they won't show it, TruTV / USA Network, something, somewhere where people can easily watch as well as streaming options.

It definitely sucks that they put it on a streaming service but they also know they’re up against NFL playoff games so putting it behind a paywall to make some money makes sense unfortunately.

Adams getting the arm band tells me Pulisic is only going 60.

I can’t believe Adams can go 180 in 4 days.
He can’t play Wednesday. I like we are being aggressive with these selections. We need a draw atleast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom