2022 Winter Olympics: Beijing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Winter Olympics: Beijing

Between another Asian city Olympics where coverage schedules are out of whack because of time differences, odd penalty/DQs giving China gold medals, CoVid19 again, Baggy pants gate in ski jump, failed Russian drug test and then the rumored crappy conditions and inedible food in the Oly. village- gotta say this year's Olympics are an embarrassment.

Oh and then let's add every single ounce of snow is man made.

Between another Asian city Olympics where coverage schedules are out of whack because of time differences, odd penalty/DQs giving China gold medals, CoVid19 again, Baggy pants gate in ski jump, failed Russian drug test and then the rumored crappy conditions and inedible food in the Oly. village- gotta say this year's Olympics are an embarrassment.

Oh and then let's add every single ounce of snow is man made.

I cannot recall the last time I watched even 5 minutes of Olympic coverage. Probably as a kid decades ago. Other than retired folks does it have any relevance any more?

I cannot recall the last time I watched even 5 minutes of Olympic coverage. Probably as a kid decades ago. Other than retired folks does it have any relevance any more?

I watched the summer Olympics the past couple cycles but winter I've tried and got past day 2 and stopped.

I’m under 40 and I watch. I’ve watched sports that I normally never do every day since the opening ceremonies. It’s really just an every 4 year thing for me. I do that for the World Cup too. I have no interest in soccer but I end up watching it. Even the women’s. It’s something to do with getting all the countries together every 4 years and rooting for America for me. It almost feels like a duty for me. If it was every year then I doubt I would though

I think that not having fans kills the atmosphere and also, like Orangezoo said, having the host cities with 13 hour time differences or whatever makes watching things less exciting because a lot are taped the night before. But I am an insomniac so I’ve seen some events live really late at night/early morning so far

We watch. My wife because she enjoys watching figure skating and me because many of the events are novel, but not interesting enough to “follow” or watch more than every few years. There is also that feeling of patriotism in rooting for the American against the rest of the world in whatever the event is.

I wouldn’t choose them over a Cuse game or an NBA game involving a team I’m interested in or probably any NFL game.

2024 Paris
2026 Milan
2028 Los Angeles

Should make it much more watchable with the time difference alone. Three in a row in Asia is rough for us on the other side of the world. I tried to stay up to watch Nathan Chen last night and he didn’t skate til 12:30am Eastern time. NBC was hyping him up since 8pm.

With Covid stopping family members from going, I feel bad for them having to have cameras in their homes to catch a reaction while trying to watch their loved ones compete at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Maybe it's just me, but can NBC stop all the fawning over Mikaela Shiffrin? I get she fell and was disappointed. I get she's a huge star. But the ****fest going on during the Super-G tonight just because she SKIIED AGAIN!!! OMG - that's never happened!!! :rolleyes:

/rant

I’m under 40 and I watch. I’ve watched sports that I normally never do every day since the opening ceremonies. It’s really just an every 4 year thing for me. I do that for the World Cup too. I have no interest in soccer but I end up watching it. Even the women’s. It’s something to do with getting all the countries together every 4 years and rooting for America for me. It almost feels like a duty for me. If it was every year then I doubt I would though

I think that not having fans kills the atmosphere and also, like Orangezoo said, having the host cities with 13 hour time differences or whatever makes watching things less exciting because a lot are taped the night before. But I am an insomniac so I’ve seen some events live really late at night/early morning so far
not retired, but Dont think I have missed anything since maybe the early 70s as a kid and much less on then anyway.

I love the Xcountry/curling stuff and hockey/speed skating but I pretty much watch everything and my wife is all about the figure skating.

most of us here couldnt get down these mountains walking let alone skiing.

I do think they have thrown a bit too many ski sports into it making up some things for the xgames people but it draws kids in so im ok with it..

I dvr almost all of it anyway.. then I watch things faster if i have no interest or US has nothing at in it.

not retired, but Dont think I have missed anything since maybe the early 70s as a kid and much less on then anyway.

I love the Xcountry/curling stuff and hockey/speed skating but I pretty much watch everything and my wife is all about the figure skating.

most of us here couldnt get down these mountains walking let alone skiing.

I do think they have thrown a bit too many ski sports into it making up some things for the xgames people but it draws kids in so im ok with it..

I dvr almost all of it anyway.. then I watch things faster if i have no interest or US has nothing at in it.

Use to really enjoy the speed skating when the U.S. had regular threats. Seems we have fallen off a cliff on that sport.

Maybe it's just me, but can NBC stop all the fawning over Mikaela Shiffrin? I get she fell and was disappointed. I get she's a huge star. But the ****fest going on during the Super-G tonight just because she SKIIED AGAIN!!! OMG - that's never happened!!! :rolleyes:

/rant
Not that this matters much, but Shiffrin is the main reason we're watching, and have been for every olympics she's been in. We've always watched the Olympics and especially for CO participants (as well as NY). Her dad's passing and story has added to that. We have a favorite bar/restaurant in Edwards (where she's from and lives), that we go to often, and spend a lot of time in that area (adjoins Vail). Just a different perspective.

US and czech republic were 1-1 in womens hockey quarters...despite us out shooting them like 50-6. US won 4-1 but it should have been 10-1

Use to really enjoy the speed skating when the U.S. had regular threats. Seems we have fallen off a cliff on that sport.
If memory serves, we were a non factor in speed skating for a long time. Eric Heiden and his sister just decided they were going to be great and somehow made it happen. I think there was some buzz generated by them but it didn't last long.

Speed skating is a big deal in Europe. A major sport. Speed skaters are rock stars in The Netherlands.

That will never happen here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom