2022 World Cup | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

45 more mins. A point is just fine here. Then find 3 against Iran. Doesn't threaten England winning the group given their goal differential advantage.

We were clearly better in midfield. Pulisic was much better with the set pieces. Too bad his shot didn't go in. It would have been a historic result.

Fair. But far better talent than the US yet going into a shell is classic Southgate not really playing to win rather not to lose. US is solid but lack finishing in the final third, still should easily beat Iran.

I don't think this England team is that great, to be honest.
I think McGuire is still shaky potatoes in the back, and so is Stones. Their fullbacks are very good, though, and they are deep there.

Bellingham is talented in midfield, but Rice wasn't that great against our guys, and Mount was invisible for much of the game, apart from the one shot.

England has attacking talent, but they are weak in the middle of defense and in the middle of the field. They needed Henderson for his toughness and work rate at the end.

I think Southgate has frankly over-achieved with this team.

I think McGuire is still shaky potatoes in the back, and so is Stones. Their fullbacks are very good, though, and they are deep there.

Bellingham is talented in midfield, but Rice wasn't that great against our guys, and Mount was invisible for much of the game, apart from the one shot.

England has attacking talent, but they are weak in the middle of defense and in the middle of the field. They needed Henderson for his toughness and work rate at the end.

Don't forget the impact the Wales result had. Wales gives everyone fits because of their organized defensive shape. The pressure to get a win today was massively reduced when Iran shocked Wales in ET.

Wales will be forced to come out aggressive to get 3 pts. That plays right into England's hands. They took a few chances and had some close calls but overall relented the midfield to avoid a higher chance of getting beat on a counter. If you rewatch some of the game you can see it more clearly vs live.

Still there isn’t one player on US/Wales/Iran that makes Englands starting 11. This is a group on paper that they should have 9 points, easily. Let alone, they were a bit lucky to have finished tied today.

Phenomenal effort and result.

Nuke Iran and we’re through.

Git er done!

If US wins and Wales beats England, the the Brits are out? Is head to head the first tiebreaker or goal differential?

If US wins and Wales beats England, the the Brits are out? Is head to head the first tiebreaker or goal differential?
Group goal differential is the tie-breaker.

1669422448151.png

Right now, Wales would have to beat England (I think) 4-0 (or beat them by 4 goals) to overcome the current goal differential (England 4, Wales -2).

Experts - let me know if I screwed that up.

Group goal differential is the tie-breaker.

View attachment 222485

Right now, Wales would have to beat England (I think) 4-0 (or beat them by 4 goals) to overcome the current goal differential (England 4, Wales -2).

Experts - let me know if I screwed that up.
If Wales wins by 3 goals, they’d be tied at +1 differential. Usually total goals is the second tie-break, but I’m mot 100% sure. If it is, England would prevail due to the 6 they put up on IRI.

Still there isn’t one player on US/Wales/Iran that makes Englands starting 11. This is a group on paper that they should have 9 points, easily. Let alone, they were a bit lucky to have finished tied today.

I didn't want to give a knee-jerk answered, so I waited after I read this the first time. I would definitely take Tyler Adams over Declan Rice as my holding midfielder, and frankly, Raheem Sterling hasn't played well in almost 3 months. I would pick Pulisic over him based on current form. Tim Ream has been more consistent than Harry McGuire. Is Tim Weah doing any worse than Saka?

I didn't want to give a knee-jerk answered, so I waited after I read this the first time. I would definitely take Tyler Adams over Declan Rice as my holding midfielder, and frankly, Raheem Sterling hasn't played well in almost 3 months. I would pick Pulisic over him based on current form. Tim Ream has been more consistent than Harry McGuire. Is Tim Weah doing any worse than Saka?
Adams was the first name I thought of as well. He has been more impressive every time I’ve watched him. He was tremendous vs England.

Adams was the first name I thought of as well. He has been more impressive every time I’ve watched him. He was tremendous vs England.

He's been playing great for Leeds, too. So has Aaronson. I hope Aaronson starts at center forward against Iran, with Weah and Pulisic on the wings.

He's been playing great for Leeds, too. So has Aaronson. I hope Aaronson starts at center forward against Iran, with Weah and Pulisic on the wings.
Aaronson always strikes me as slightly awkward and generally dangerous.

Aaronson always strikes me as slightly awkward and generally dangerous.

When Aaronson played for Leeds against Chelsea early in the season, he pressured our goalie into a turnover right in his 6 yard box, which Aaronson tucked in for the goal. He can run forever, and is a menace in the press.

My wife is thrilled to see Australia basically controls its own destiny now. I’m sure they’ll be underdogs against Denmark but a draw or better should put Australia through to the knockouts.

Yeah, our family has been following Leeds all season. It’s been great to watch Adams, Aaronson and Marsh have some success. One son has an Adams Leeds jersey, I’ve got an Aaronson USA jersey. Don’t know that I have seen Aaronson as a false 9, but Chelsea has played Pulisic there a time or two. A bunch of commentators have been calling for that sort of lineup, but I’m not sure it fits Gregg’s plans.

so with a game to go in many brackets you can see some crazy things happen.

A) Netherlands can get knocked out
b) England can get knocked out
c) Argentina can get knocked out
E) Germany can get knocked out
f) Belgium losing today will be in trouble

many of the top 10-15 teams can go home early with a bad last game result.

Who says soccer isn’t a contact sport ?

Attachments

• 0C6F186F-A55B-4A1C-8D26-FC3362497D09.jpeg
    0C6F186F-A55B-4A1C-8D26-FC3362497D09.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online