2022 Yankees Season | Page 239 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Yankees Season

The Yanks got it handed to them. Cannot stay mired in the "sign an over the hill old guy for a lot of $$$" (Donaldson) type of guy and then wonder why they don't play up to par. Then we have the problem of their big contract.

Cashman got played this off season big time.

1 WS in two decades is not acceptable. Heck, we cannot even reach the WS any longer, much less win one. If the team were to take a step back and rebuild, then I'd be totally ok with a "lost" season if it got us closer to the final goal.
I'm not sure ownership, nor the fan base, has the stomach for a rebuild. And there's no guarantee going that route would ultimately bring greater postseason success.

I'm not sure ownership, nor the fan base, has the stomach for a rebuild. And there's no guarantee going that route would ultimately bring greater postseason success.
Agreed. However, I don't see how the recipe that we've used for the last decade will likely lead to a WS. We barely got out of the divisional, even with a player having an all world type of season.

Agreed. However, I don't see how the recipe that we've used for the last decade will likely lead to a WS. We barely got out of the divisional, even with a player having an all world type of season.
Oh, I get the frustration. But that was hardly the circular lineup envisioned when they reached the postseason. Too many weak and/or slumping hitters going up against teams with strong pitching depth isn't a good recipe.

There is no magic formula for postseason success. I won’t keep repeating myself about the randomness of the baseball postseason. The best a team can do to maximize its probability of winning a World Series is to win enough regular seasons games to win the division and be one of the top two seeds to earn a bye. The Yankees accomplished that. I don’t see the need to blow things up. There is obviously an opportunity to improve the roster.

There is no magic formula for postseason success. I won’t keep repeating myself about the randomness of the baseball postseason. The best a team can do to maximize its probability of winning a World Series is to win enough regular seasons games to win the division and be one of the top two seeds to earn a bye. The Yankees accomplished that. I don’t see the need to blow things up. There is obviously an opportunity to improve the roster.
I think the randomness of the postseason is a real thing (obviously look at the Phillies) but it looks a little less random with the Yanks. Ten consecutive trips to the postseason and no visits to the world series with the culprits consistently being an inability to manufacture runs and a lineup with a very high strikeout rate. I know that Benintendi and DJL probably would have helped to address the issue but it seems to be the same problem every postseason.

I think the randomness of the postseason is a real thing (obviously look at the Phillies) but it looks a little less random with the Yanks. Ten consecutive trips to the postseason and no visits to the world series with the culprits consistently being an inability to manufacture runs and a lineup with a very high strikeout rate. I know that Benintendi and DJL probably would have helped to address the issue but it seems to be the same problem every postseason.
Yeah, they would have made a huge difference. I also think the young guys will make a difference in the coming years. I think with Bader, Benintendi, DJ and a few others, there are guys that balance out the lineup.

Randomness is definitely a thing. However
1) The Astros seem to trump randomness, reaching the WS so many years.
2) The sweep demonstrates a solid beat down

I think that a moderate blow up is in order.
Ditch:
  1. Stanton
  2. Donaldson
  3. Hicks
  4. Cashman
  5. IKF
To start. They all have to go.

Yeah, they would have made a huge difference. I also think the young guys will make a difference in the coming years. I think with Bader, Benintendi, DJ and a few others, there are guys that balance out the lineup.
Injuries are bound to happen. We still had our big players. It's not like Cole, Holmes, or Judge were hurt. All in all, I think that we were pretty healthy.

Ditch:
  1. Stanton
  2. Donaldson
  3. Hicks
  4. Cashman
  5. IKF
Who is taking any of those guys at their price?

Ditch:
  1. Stanton
  2. Donaldson
  3. Hicks
  4. Cashman
  5. IKF
What do you propose to do with Stanton? Give him away? Eat his salary?

Injuries are bound to happen. We still had our big players. It's not like Cole, Holmes, or Judge were hurt. All in all, I think that we were pretty healthy.
The starting lineup was a shell of what it was in the first half, with few good options to shake things up. By the end, they were rolling out vastly different lineups every night out of desperation.

It helps to get hot at the right time like the Phillies.

DJ and Benintendi would have helped, as would King (he was as big a loss as anyone), but at the end of the day the Astros are just built better. They lose Correa and plug in a 25 year old rookie who thrives in the postseason. Their 8 hitter and bullpen and are unstoppable. And none of that is to mention the better hitters in the lineup and the starting rotation.

Astros aren't random. Really curious to see what happens when they face that red hot Phillies lineup.

Only 9 strikeouts last night. We improved big time over the course of the series.

Only 9 strikeouts last night. We improved big time over the course of the series.
At the rate of 2 less per game they would have been at -0- in game 2 of the World Series. Or is this one of those asymptotes?

I don't think there's anything random about continuously getting dominated by the Astros. They always have better pitching and aren't nearly as reliant on home runs.

I don't think there's anything random about continuously getting dominated by the Astros. They always have better pitching and aren't nearly as reliant on home runs.
Agreed.

Who is taking any of those guys at their price?
We'd have to eat a chunk/all of their salary, yes. Depending on what we'd get for Stanton, maybe we keep him still. However, Hicks and Donaldson are worthless. I'd rather see the youngsters who will improve get PT.

To me, this just goes to show how careful you need to be when signing anyone over 30 to a reasonably long time, high $$$ contract. It seems to come back to bite you more often than not. Cashman has failed at this.

Last edited:
The starting lineup was a shell of what it was in the first half, with few good options to shake things up. By the end, they were rolling out vastly different lineups every night out of desperation.
But--

They lost 5 of 7 regular season games to the Astros when they had a full lineup.

There is a big gap between the 'Stros and the Yanks (or the rest of the AL, for that matter).

Ditch:
  1. Stanton
  2. Donaldson
  3. Hicks
  4. Cashman
  5. IKF
Good luck with ditching the 5 you mentioned. Stanton has a full no trade clause and is owed $160mm. Donaldson has a 5 team no trade clause and is owed $27mm if you flat out release him. He also comes of as sort of a so I don't think many teams will be interested in taking that phone call. Hicks is owed $30mm good luck moving him. IKF is arb eligible still and estimated to cost $6mm and he did put up some value with roughly 3 WAR and he does not K as much as the rest of the lineup so I'm not sure he is the problem. Cashman would be hired in a nano second if he were fired. Who is going to replace Cashman that the Steinbrenner family is going to trust?

Good luck with ditching the 5 you mentioned. Stanton has a full no trade clause and is owed $160mm. Donaldson has a 5 team no trade clause and is owed $27mm if you flat out release him. He also comes of as sort of a so I don't think many teams will be interested in taking that phone call. Hicks is owed $30mm good luck moving him. IKF is arb eligible still and estimated to cost $6mm and he did put up some value with roughly 3 WAR and he does not K as much as the rest of the lineup so I'm not sure he is the problem. Cashman would be hired in a nano second if he were fired. Who is going to replace Cashman that the Steinbrenner family is going to trust?
Agreed on all those contracts. However, what does the fact that the Yanks have so many immovable contracts say about Cashman's job, with not even an WS appearance to show for it?

Frankly, I'd be ok cutting and eating all of Hick's contract.

Baseball playoffs are so random. The Phillies DID get hot at just the right time. A lot of veteran sluggers plus a real nice 1-2 to top the rotation. They were nothing special during the regular season, and I don't think they're really built for the long haul. I say that as a fan.

But I'm fine with that when we get a season like this. It's like the Iggs' Super Bowl win. Don't think we were the best team that year either. But it doesn't matter though. It happened, and we all celebrated.

Ditch:
  1. Stanton
  2. Donaldson
  3. Hicks
  4. Cashman
  5. IKF
I think the Astros are better than the Yankees. I just don't think there is a magical formula to succeed in the postseason. The contact > power arguments aren't supported by data. High contact and three-true-outcome teams have had about the same levels of success in recent years. For example, the Phillies have a K% nearly identical to the Yankees. All you can do is fill your roster with good players, win a lot of regular season games, and hope your players don't slump in the postseason. It helps to be the best team, but it does not guarantee success.

Last edited:
We'd have to eat a chunk/all of their salary, yes. Depending on what we'd get for Stanton, maybe we keep him still. However, Hicks and Donaldson are worthless. I'd rather see the youngsters who will improve get PT.

To me, this just goes to show how careful you need to be when signing anyone over 30 to a reasonably long time, high $$$ contract. It seems to come back to bite you more often than not. Cashman has failed at this.
Judge 10 year 500 million would end when he is what 40?

Judge 10 year 500 million would end when he is what 40?
He's not getting that number of years at 50 million from the Yankees or any other team. Five or six years, yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom