2023-2024 Coaching Carousel | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023-2024 Coaching Carousel

This is pure rumor but an Ohio State yokel who I work with was telling me today that DJ Durkin is trading his job at A&M for OSU. Not sure that this is remotely accurate but Durkin leaving A&M seems logical.

This is pure rumor but an Ohio State yokel who I work with was telling me today that DJ Durkin is trading his job at A&M for OSU. Not sure that this is remotely accurate but Durkin leaving A&M seems logical.
Did Knowles take a new job? Thought Knowles might get Duke job but it looks like Diaz? Maybe Knowles to PSU? I guess OSU could fire him but haven't seen that. Knowles is a bit of a fraud to me

Last edited:
Did Knowles take a new job? Thought Knowles might get Duke job but it looks like Diaz? Maybe Knowles to PSU? I guess OSU could fire him but haven't seen that. Knowles is a bit of a fraud to me

He thinks Knowles to Duke is going to definitely happen. All of this could obviously happen but I’m not sure any of it is likely.

They put down the wrong photo for Fran.
I rethought my pick, who wasn't in the photo anyways and that is New Mexico with Bronco. He is a legit P5 coach with a lot of success. He will recruit like crazy from Texas and everywhere in the mountain west, especially Cali. He has the contacts. The MWC will be the strongest G5 and the winner of that conference will most likely get a playoff spot and I think that's why he took the job. He would probably get a huge bonus if they make the playoffs.

Duke will be a perennial basement program with a guy who couldn’t win at Miami.

Good for us even tho we don’t play them much.
I think he is an ok coach for a public school. Not a good fit for a private school. Too many challenges. He could be a 7-5 guy at schools like Pitt, Louisville, VA Tech, UVA, NC State, UNC, GA Tech. But not at BC, Duke, Wake.

I think he is an ok coach for a public school. Not a good fit for a private school. Too many challenges. He could be a 7-5 guy at schools like Pitt, Louisville, VA Tech, UVA, NC State, UNC, GA Tech. But not at BC, Duke, Wake.
Agree but I think the last 2 Duke coaches were way better than he is. Cutcliffe was there forever (and somehow is only 69 I thought he had to be close to 80) but was still a very good coach and Elko is red hot property. It’s an enormous step down if they wanted someone with ACC HC experience Dino would have been a better choice.

Duke will be a perennial basement program with a guy who couldn’t win at Miami.

Good for us even tho we don’t play them much.

well I'll be curious to watch. He was in my top 2 or 3 guys to coach here.

Last edited:
I’m always interested to see if/how coaches lessen and grow after getting fired as a HC. Some do well (Pete Carroll), others not so much (Josh McDaniels). Diaz is still young and has time to learn and grow. Dino… not so much.