2023-2024 Minutes Distribution | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023-2024 Minutes Distribution

I have no idea how things will shake out, but I think I am more bullish on QC than most. He is a big energy guy which should play well with HCAA's projected faster pace offense and defense. But we will see.

I am with you. He is a kid with many skills and plays aggressively. His shot ( practice film disclaimer) looks better and the same every time it goes up vs being inconsistent. Also kid doesn't like for confidence either.

Also all these guys obviously love the game of basketball but I gather Q is a true hoops junkie and just is on a different level with his love for it.

I have no idea how things will shake out, but I think I am more bullish on QC than most. He is a big energy guy which should play well with HCAA's projected faster pace offense and defense. But we will see.
The concern here is he and Westry are similar players so it will be interesting to see how the minutes shake out. If Westry is brought along slowly QC might get more of an opportunity.

The concern here is he and Westry are similar players so it will be interesting to see how the minutes shake out. If Westry is brought along slowly QC might get more of an opportunity.
Yup. Or we go small. Judah and JJ. Both listed at 6'4". QC and CW. Both listed at 6'6". And then pick who you want in the middle. 7'4", or 6'9 or 6'8 with Benny or Maliq. Make it a track meet and run the opposition out of the gym.

If one or both of Westry and Copeland prove to be competent shooters, they can definitely play together.

I am with you. He is a kid with many skills and plays aggressively. His shot ( practice film disclaimer) looks better and the same every time it goes up vs being inconsistent. Also kid doesn't like for confidence either.

Also all these guys obviously love the game of basketball but I gather Q is a true hoops junkie and just is on a different level with his love for it.
Could see Q have trouble cracking the lineup but agree on the confidence/hoops junkie piece. Had a great attitude despite a lot of time on the bench last year and of the three frosh wing-ish players (Taylor/Bell/Q), Q feels the most like a basketball player. Totally random assessment, but Bell feels like a shooter with some solid athleticism, Taylor is a kid who has a pretty good array of skill and good size, but it's Q that looks like he has wiggle and confidence, which are key ingredients for players who excel at this level.

Could see Q have trouble cracking the lineup but agree on the confidence/hoops junkie piece. Had a great attitude despite a lot of time on the bench last year and of the three frosh wing-ish players (Taylor/Bell/Q), Q feels the most like a basketball player. Totally random assessment, but Bell feels like a shooter with some solid athleticism, Taylor is a kid who has a pretty good array of skill and good size, but it's Q that looks like he has wiggle and confidence, which are key ingredients for players who excel at this level.

I like Taylor and he is most definitely a 2 in the mold of how Buddy was. He's stronger and more athletic than Buddy but has work to do as both a consistent shooter and offensive player. The one question I have with Taylor is how he does with game speed this year and with an even faster/more aggressive style of play. If he handles that well his impact potential is much higher.

I’ve always thought an 8 man rotation is ideal if you have the right guys for it, with a 9th who can produce when needed(injury, foul trouble, certain matchups) as a huge luxury.

It’s tough to go deeper than 8 in big games.

Mintz
Starling
Bell
Benny
McCleod

Westry
Brown

Copeland/Taylor battling for 8th man, but as very different players it’s possible both end up playing solid roles. Depending on Westry’s health, one or maybe both could end up in a much bigger role.

Hima would seem to be on the outside looking in, in a lot of games? But perhaps could anchor the press with his shot blocking, Jeremy McNeil style, in certain games? And will be needed when McCleod or Brown gets in foul trouble.

I have no idea with Cuffe. Would seem to be on the outside looking in for this year, unless he surprises and is better than one of the other guards? Seems we’d have too many guards for all of them to play. Especially when Judah is a clear 30+ mpg guy. There’s only so much time available after that.
Yeah, I agree. You don't see a lot of UConn rosters these days where a guy who is very likely to get a lot of NBA run at some point is playing 13 mpg like Clingan. I think what makes figuring this out a bit tricky is A) not entirely knowing how Red is likely to run things, how we play offensively/defensively, etc.; and B) Having so few sure things in the lineup.

So you have Judah, Brown and I'm guessing JJ as absolute locks to be very integral pieces to everything we do (JJ still has a bit to prove but I have to figure he's a central piece as long as he's healthy). Benny, McLeod, Bell and a healthy Westry will play prominent roles but how prominent is a bit of a question. Taylor, Q and Hima should be involved but, again, to what extent is really impossible to predict. Cuffe has pedigree but hasn't played in two years and is looking at a potentially crowded backcourt. Carey would seem to be on the outside looking in but I still think his film was intriguing. Health seems to still be something of an issue. Patterson likely won't factor in much.

So where I land as a guess is 30+ for Judah and JJ and I'm guessing 25+ for Brown based on what we saw last year and Griff raving about him in that interview. Not a given, but I'd have to believe there is a big (25ish mpg) role for McLeod just given they went out and got him knowing what else they had coming back. Have to figure Benny is at 20+, maybe 25+, based on the concerted effort they made to bring him back.

A healthy Westry could be a tough guy to keep off the floor even if he has some weaknesses in certain areas and Bell's shooting probably is important to create space for Judah/JJ, so he's in. That's 7. My thought is Q and Taylor battle for a spot that gets a 10-12 mpg type role and then the rest of the guys get run (in real games) in certain situations. Foul trouble gets Hima on the floor; maybe Bell is struggling and we turn to Taylor for some stretches. Or if Taylor is no. 8, maybe Q brings some playmaking against a certain team here and there.

Not sure, but 10 man rotations are usually what you see when you have 10 guys who are either NBA-type kids and/or really, really good, proven college hoops players. I'm intrigued by this group, but we don't really have that ... at least not that we can say for certain.

I like Taylor and he is most definitely a 2 in the mold of how Buddy was. He's stronger and more athletic than Buddy but has work to do as both a consistent shooter and offensive player. The one question I have with Taylor is how he does with game speed this year and with an even faster/more aggressive style of play. If he handles that well his impact potential is much higher.
To me the question with Taylor, Bell, Q, and Benny is really the same. Can they become players who make plays that help you win games? It doesn't have to be the same for all of them, but we didn't see a lot of it last year from any of them. Benny had some nice games, Taylor had some nice moments even outside of his 25 vs. Bryant, Bell was huge against BC and had some moments, and Q played a bit better late.

But having some skill, size, and talent, which all four have, is different from actually making a positive impact on a winning team, especially with any sort of consistency. For Taylor, I actually think he moves his feet well defensively and has decently quick hands. If his confidence and offensive production takes a step forward and he holds his own defensively in a more aggressive m2m scheme (with some zone mixed in), he absolutely could play a decent role.

Judah for 35+ and then whoever is playing hard and causing turnovers or rebounding/blocking shots and/or facilitating well / hitting shots. That’s all I got this year!! We have so many moving parts and variables it’s pretty incredible.

One game McLeod could destroy teams on the pick and roll or rebounding. Another game Benny or Brown could be an incredible mismatch. Another game teams could try to shut down Judah and JJ and/or Westry or Kyle if he is healthy could destroy. Or Taylor, Bell, Brown or Copeland could cause chaos or hit open threes.

In other words, I really have no clue how it’s gonna shake out because situationally each game will be different.

If one or both of Westry and Copeland prove to be competent shooters, they can definitely play together.
If Westry can shoot 3s at a respectable clip and he's healthy he's going to give Bell a run for his money to stay a starter. I like Bell too and supported him last year. But if Westry can shoot he's elite. And last year JB said neither Bell nor Taylor could stay in front of anyone. Compare to Westry who is a lock down defender.

If Westry can shoot 3s at a respectable clip and he's healthy he's going to give Bell a run for his money to stay a starter. I like Bell too and supported him last year. But if Westry can shoot he's elite. And last year JB said neither Bell nor Taylor could stay in front of anyone. Compare to Westry who is a lock down defender.
I won't be shocked if the season after this upcoming one if the starting backcourt is Westry and Copeland as two terrors on the defensive end and as tall creators.

Last edited:
Defense is going to be a key for a running team, need stops and steals to get out and run.

I hope he gets valuable minutes, plays a little more controlled with the ball and continues to disrupt on defense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom