2023-24 Coaching Carousel | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Arkansas has more NIL money than Kentucky. Kentucky isn’t exactly top tierNIL program, because they didn’t have to be. They were fueled and funded by cal and his gang and boosters. A fat Nil cupboard on top of his “people” following him is a bigger bag than he’s ever had.

I’ve seen some people say they don’t see much potential dominoes with players because they’ll follow everyone/their coaches. I’m not so sure about that. Obviously some will follow cal because the bag. But this is a chain reaction, and not every player from every team will end up at their old school or with their old coach.

Cal to Arkansas, where do all the Kentucky guys end up? Where are the remaining Arkansas guys that don’t follow muss going?

Oates/Hurley/drew/etc to Kentucky, where do all those guys who don’t follow go?

Whoever replaces that huge job of alabama, uconn, Baylor, etc where will those players go who don’t follow?

My point is it goes ON AND ON AND ON. It started with the usc job and now we’re here, with more to follow. Players will continue to open up.

Arkansas makes a LOT of sense for Calipari.

He's worn out his welcome at UK, and their fanbase is restless. He's recruiting well, and exploited the one-and-done phenomenon initially, but has tailed off, and he only has 1 title to show for it.

Now, he jumps to Arkansas and buys himself 5 more years and another big payday. Arkansas has big NIL money, with the Walton family and other donors, so he can continue to recruit at a high level. And Arkansas has shown a willingness to throw money at recruits, so Cal's approach should fit what they want to do.

Arkansas makes a LOT of sense for Calipari.

He's worn out his welcome at UK, and their fanbase is restless. He's recruiting well, and exploited the one-and-done phenomenon initially, but has tailed off, and he only has 1 title to show for it.

Now, he jumps to Arkansas and buys himself 5 more years and another big payday. Arkansas has big NIL money, with the Walton family and other donors, so he can continue to recruit at a high level. And Arkansas has shown a willingness to throw money at recruits, so Cal's approach should fit what they want to do.
I think Cal's time has passed. I'm sure he'll have good seasons with NIL and the talent he can still bring in, but he's likely at the tail end of his career. This is absolutely a brilliant move for him.

I shocked Jay Wright's name is even mentioned. Feels like that would be no chance

Cal was on borrowed time. Probably was gonna get chitcanned after next season anyways. Smart move by him to buy hinself 3-5 more years

I think Cal's time has passed. I'm sure he'll have good seasons with NIL and the talent he can still bring in, but he's likely at the tail end of his career. This is absolutely a brilliant move for him.

Agree. He was always a strong recruiter, who wasn't afraid to stretch the boundaries of the rules.

At UK, he was an early identifier of the approach to recruit a bunch of one-and-dones, and push them out the door to make room for the next year's wave. Got a bunch of early publicity, and exploited it to great advantage for a time.

Then Duke had enough, and started to go after the same players, and beat Cal at his own game.

UK has been pretty pedestrian for awhile. I agree that his time as an innovator has passed. But I expect him to have a couple of years at Arkansas where he brings in solid talent, and gets lots of attention, with a fraction of the pressure he had at UK these past few seasons.

People also think Dan Hurley has always dominated. It took him several years of building to get to this point. He did the same at Rhode Island. UK doesn’t have the patience for building.

Oats may be the best bet to hit the ground running. He can recruit and does well with the portal. But even he is not perfect and has had a couple mediocre seasons.
It's going to be a lot easier for him to build quickly wherever he goes now. He took over UConn coming off 3 losing seasons and toiling in the AAC. Of course it took him a few years to get good. Now he's the biggest coach in the country.

I need Bruce Pearl to UK. Would be so much fun to root against there.
Will definitely consolidate my hate. Fuktucky and really the scum Bruce. Can’t stand when the tv has his face on it. Almost as bad as when they show Crean

My question is, does Arkansas owe Kentucky a buy out or is Kentucky waiving it so Cal can move on and they don’t have to pay their 32 million buyout. Because if Arkansas has to pay even 1/3 of it. That’s 10 million towards the next coaches buyout. Nate Oates is then only 8 million dollar buyout.

My question is, does Arkansas owe Kentucky a buy out or is Kentucky waiving it so Cal can move on and they don’t have to pay their 32 million buyout. Because if Arkansas has to pay even 1/3 of it. That’s 10 million towards the next coaches buyout. Nate Oates is then only 8 million dollar buyout.
Nope, no buyout for Cal. UK doesn’t owe him a dime

That shows you how much Kentucky wanted to get rid of Cal.

Let him go for free to a conference rival.

That’s not what I was asking. I know Kentucky doesn’t owe him a dime because he is leaving, not getting fired. But buyouts usually go both ways. He had a 32 million dollar buyout. Usually the hiring team is then responsible for that buyout. I was wondering if Kentucky waived the buyout or negotiated a much lower price, but a number where they still collect money to use for their next coaches buy out.

I did a quick google. Apparently Cal had a 33 million dollar buyout if he was fired. But Kentucky had 0 buyout if Cal decided to leave on his own terms. Essentially, Cal had all the power in the contract. Ton of money if he was fired, and he could go anywhere he wanted without any buyout. Surprised Kentucky agreed to such a contract.

That’s not what I was asking. I know Kentucky doesn’t owe him a dime because he is leaving, not getting fired. But buyouts usually go both ways. He had a 32 million dollar buyout. Usually the hiring team is then responsible for that buyout. I was wondering if Kentucky waived the buyout or negotiated a much lower price, but a number where they still collect money to use for their next coaches buy out.

I did a quick google. Apparently Cal had a 33 million dollar buyout if he was fired. But Kentucky had 0 buyout if Cal decided to leave on his own terms. Essentially, Cal had all the power in the contract. Ton of money if he was fired, and he could go anywhere he wanted without any buyout. Surprised Kentucky agreed to such a contract.
There is one glitch. Per contract, he had to inform Kentucky if he interviewed with another team. He didn’t. He could always say ok, I’m staying. Kentuck doesn’t want that.

None of us know what happened behind closed doors. There's more to the Cal story than we know now. I doubt UK was surprised, and I bet there were tough conversations and maybe some money changing hands.