2023-24 Portal Options | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

I think Dash's posts hints at the fact the staff was blindsided by this. Concerning, they should have started talking to replacements while Jesse waffled for 4 weeks.
Why if the staff thought he was coming back? All signs show that Jesse wanted to come back but daddy wants a better NIL deal! The staff was blindsided! Crap Jesse has been around the team etc for various things! Why wouldn’t they think he’s coming back just needed to figure out the NIL. It collapsed and the staff was shocked. Now I have faith in the staff to move forward! I for one am still excited about the future!! LGO!!

Why if the staff thought he was coming back? All signs show that Jesse wanted to come back but daddy wants a better NIL deal! The staff was blindsided! Crap Jesse has been around the team etc for various things! Why wouldn’t they think he’s coming back just needed to figure out the NIL. It collapsed and the staff was shocked. Now I have faith in the staff to move forward! I for one am still excited about the future!! LGO!!
Then you have to worry about the staff. This will take criticism, I’m sure, but you can’t read a kid that’s on the fence? Even if he is saying he’s in, shouldn’t you be able to tell something is up?

I don't remember him publicly announcing he would be back like some players. I think that speaks volumes.
Great point. Also makes you wonder what the heck our staff was doing

Because they should have gotten an answer from Jesse sooner and if he couldn't provide them a firm commitment they needed to start lining up contingencies in the event he did not return. Now they start their search, hence they were not prepared in advance. They are reacting, not anticipating.
According to the insiders here this wasn’t an issue last week. You can’t anticipate 180s

Until we solidify the roster right before the season starts you always keep your options open because you just don’t know these days….I’m kind of hoping some living legends on here have some hope for us

They were supposed to anticipate that he'd be back but another school would offer his family in the Netherlands a sh'load of money?

Actually yes they should have anticipated that everyone is being bid on and you need to make sure you are competitive. Everyone knows it’s the Wild West.

Again Cuse had over a year to plan for this and laid an egg. It’s great to send the whole staff to watch high schoolers but you also have to continually recruit your existing players. Poorly done here

Great point. Also makes you wonder what the heck our staff was doing
As concerning as being blind sided by Jesse is... I'm actually more concerned that we don't seem to be in the market for another guard and a forward who can stretch the D. I posted this earlier and got slammed for it but it sure seems like we are okay running it back without Jesse and JG3? If that's the case color me concerned because one of my biggest criticisms of JB was that we wouldn't recruit over starters to upgrade the talent in the backend of his career. I thought Red would aggressively try to upgrade talent even if it means less talent current guys would need to sit?

What's the backup plan for Mintz?

Why don’t we contact the Kentucky guy we pursued in HS? Or Sharp from WKU who is the best rim protector in the nation. At this point we need to throw top NIL at guys like this, just to make the team serviceable. Or else, why would anyone come here in the future?

Because we only have a budget of a free lunch at Varsity and $100 gift certificate to Manny’s. We are starting to line up visits with the 10th man on Lehigh

I think we are at the point we have to stop with the noise and watch for what happens in the next few days. We've all spoken from frustration on the news of the day. Let's see what happens next, it may very well be positive. That is not said with any knowledge, just to be clear.

Ridiculously optimistic hypothetical -

The NT kid was gonna visit anyway and we wanted him as the backup 5 over Hima. The timing is merely a coincidence

As concerning as being blind sided by Jesse is... I'm actually more concerned that we don't seem to be in the market for another guard and a forward who can stretch the D. I posted this earlier and got slammed for it but it sure seems like we are okay running it back without Jesse and JG3? If that's the case color me concerned because one of my biggest criticisms of JB was that we wouldn't recruit over starters to upgrade the talent in the backend of his career. I thought Red would aggressively try to upgrade talent even if it means less talent current guys would need to sit?

What's the backup plan for Mintz?
The Syracuse usual: make a sg(or sf in gbinje’s case) play out of position. starling…

According to the insiders here this wasn’t an issue last week. You can’t anticipate 180s
Yes, you can. And you should. You have to be prepared for anything and everything. That’s the job.

I’m pulling for Red. He hit a couple of early home runs with Starling and Straughn. If he was blindsided by Moore staying at Villanova or Edwards leaving, that’s not a good sign. A number of people on here said Red would work harder than anyone. Is that what we’re seeing? He can still be successful and sometimes being deliberate works out in the long run. He doesn’t have the luxury of being Jim Boeheim, though. Even Boeheim himself didn’t have that luxury by the end.

If Red’s hands are tied, though, we might as well pull a UConn and rejoin the Big East. Put whatever resources we have into basketball at the expense of football.

(Yeah, I know that’s not economically feasible.)

Nothing is devastating, there are avenues to success yet to be explored. Let's be patient and see how our staff responds to a setback. This won't be their last setback, the next few days will tell us alot about how much fight they have.

Nothing is devastating, there are avenues to success yet to be explored. Let's be patient and see how our staff responds to a setback. This won't be their last setback, the next few days will tell us alot about how much fight they have.
They better have fight. He just got a head coaching job at a top 10 program of all time. But it’s not good when your biggest rivals are flourish hung around you. UConn wins #5 and Georgetown made the bigger/better hire and are crushing NIL/transfer portal while we are being blindsided by our best players.

They better have fight. He just got a head coaching job at a top 10 program of all time. But it’s not good when your biggest rivals are flourish hung around you. UConn wins #5 and Georgetown made the bigger/better hire and are crushing NIL/transfer portal while we are being blindsided by our best players.
The university and athletic department have to get on the same page with regard to NIL. If they can get that figured out and how to incorporate all the different personalities of donors, then we can compete. But, very rich people may want to do things their way. Can you blame them? So, a compromise has to be found, and quickly. Who knows, if they can get this done, maybe we pull Jesse back in and maybe even Judah if he doesn't get an acceptable guarantee. Then we're cooking again.