2023-24 Portal Options | Page 133 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

I don’t see a scenario where he helps us much if at all, but I would love more than anything to be proven wrong.

McLeod will be Orange.
1684167674168.jpeg

I don’t see a scenario where he helps us much if at all, but I would love more than anything to be proven wrong.
I think you will be proven wrong. Check out the box score (or YouTube) of SU's victory over FSU last season. Against Jesse Edwards - McCleod went for 16 and 8 with two blocks. Jesse had 18 and 12 with 3 blocks, but took almost the whole game to rack up those numbers (37 m). McCleod played 26 minutes and is two years younger. It's a small sample, different team, and he wasn't scoring much at FSU, but the performance illustrates how an athletic 7-4 rim-protector could help us.

Last edited:
Jesse really put the staff in a bind, but McLeod doesn't do much for me. He's more skilled than a Chukwu/Sidibe type but it's very difficult to stay healthy at that size. I just hate the idea of giving teams a free defender to send at our more capable scorers without getting enough back in return on the other end.

I think you will be proven wrong. Check out the box score (or YouTube) of SU's victory over FSU last season. Against Jesse Edwards - McCleod went for 16 and 8 with two blocks. Jesse had 18 and 12 with 3 blocks, but took almost the whole game to rack up those numbers (37 m). McCleod played 26 minutes. It's a small sample, but worth checking out if you're not able to see a scenario where a 7-4 rim-protector could be helpful.
I recall he kept catching lobs and then JB dropped the zone back and he was shut down in the second half. He was also switching on defense and our guards were targeting him for a mismatch.

He is better than Hima first of all. He can run the floor so he works with playing fast. 7-4 is an issue to shoot over in the post.

Griff has proven that he can develop bigs both here and at Dayton. Mcleod will be most likely asked to do the things needed most which, is defend, rebound and finish at the rim. Maybe an occasional post feed or two when situationally calls for it.

At FSU- it was hard to tell what his role was. That could have been both player and coaching related or more player/more coach.

With him being an upgrade over Hima in what he is as of right now, paired with getting in the lab with Griff - it's hard to see this not helping us given there is an improvement day 1.

How much will depend on some of the factors I noted.

Last edited:
I bet we use a matchup type setting with our Center spot. Obviously if we play a bigger Center team, it's McCleod and Hima and if it's a smaller team, Brown will run the 5. We in zone game, this guy will get the bulk of the minutes...if we need true defense at the 5, Hima will get the bulk etc etc. Going to be matchup base I predict

I bet we use a matchup type setting with our Center spot. Obviously if we play a bigger Center team, it's McCleod and Hima and if it's a smaller team, Brown will run the 5. We in zone game, this guy will get the bulk of the minutes...if we need true defense at the 5, Hima will get the bulk etc etc. Going to be matchup base I predict

Good way to break it down. Speaks to the versatility a great deal.

Jesse really put the staff in a bind, but McLeod doesn't do much for me. He's more skilled than a Chukwu/Sidibe type but it's very difficult to stay healthy at that size. I just hate the idea of giving teams a free defender to send at our more capable scorers without getting enough back in return on the other end.
If you use his man to double, he has shown he can roll and finish at the rim. He looks a lot like Jesse after his sophomore year.

Stay tuned.
Bump. Jake thanks to your "Stay tuned " comment I have had one of my more unproductive afternoons in a long time. Ummm...and no rush mind you but how much longer do you think I will be unproductive this afternoon? Are you at least at liberty to share if it's Judah news or another guard news? Asking for a friend. :cool: