2023 Maui Classic | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

Not to take away from the locals, I know firsthand what going through this chit is like, but I will be devastated if I don’t get to go on this trip. Bucket list thing for me that I have been looking forward to for over a year.

Fingers crossed

I don’t see any way this tournament is held here. It should be moved and all proceeds sent to Maui restoration.

Agreed. This is still ongoing and once all is said and done there is just no way. This community will need time and support to recover. Just truly hope the loss of life and injuries is minimal. Scary stuff.

Last edited:
I don’t see any way this tournament is held here. It should be moved and all proceeds sent to Maui restoration.
They may want it there, if at all possible. Unless they're still displaced to other areas, people will want to work so they can get a paycheck and start rebuilding. I imagine this is a nice annual financial shot in the arm for some people.

It really depends on if we play Chaminade. If it's 0-3 and Chaminade is one of the losses, I would consider Autry's seat warm already. If it's 0-3 against these Top 10-15 high-caliber teams and we play tough in each one, I would be disappointed but not devastated. I really just want to come out of Maui with one quality win, at minimum.
Sorry, when I wrote this I wasn't aware of the wildfires. Obviously, the livelihoods of people who live in Maui are 8 million times more important than a basketball tournament. Just hold the thing at an East Coast venue this year, and pay for Chaminade and all the players families to attend free of charge.

They may want it there, if at all possible. Unless they're still displaced to other areas, people will want to work so they can get a paycheck and start rebuilding. I imagine this is a nice annual financial shot in the arm for some people.
I just told my mother the same thing. Have to think that they will do everything possible to have the tournament there if they think they can pull it off. I cannot imagine how important it is to them economically and I always hear how much pride they take in it.

If it is moved to Vegas or someplace I agree all of the proceeds should go back to Maui. Hopefully there is enough surviving infrastructure so they aren’t starting from scratch. Just sucks so much for everyone.

Will be tough. The Civic center there serves a number of purposes for the community so I imagine it will be a key part of the recovery in its capacity to help others.. and hopefully the center itself has not been impacted

Sorry, when I wrote this I wasn't aware of the wildfires. Obviously, the livelihoods of people who live in Maui are 8 million times more important than a basketball tournament. Just hold the thing at an East Coast venue this year, and pay for Chaminade and all the players families to attend free of charge.
I wonder if Syracuse could host it?

No football game the previous weekend. Hotels should be pretty empty. We have a giant facility with plenty of room for fans from all the teams to attend.

It would be the Bizzaro Maui Classic, with a BBQ instead of a luau.

Skiing instead of surfing.

Sledding instead of outriggers.

Let's do this.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to Maui multiple times once in August and was surprised that they burn the sugar cane fields this time of the year and it’s not a small fire - the smoke in Kihei was very strong. Will be interesting to see if that process got out of control causing this. We also went to Maui classic last time and the gym is very near Lahaina - about an hr from Kihei. Hoping the winds die down and they can get this under control.

we should have gone to toronto... no wait... same smoke

KyQEW-1572536161-1762-quizzes-bb.jpg

I am thinking Las Vegas and I will 100% be there if the tournament is moved there.
I’m thinking the same thing. That’s where it was when Hawaii still had Covid restrictions.

Not close to the same but my family and I will be there 100% if that’s what happens.

I can’t even remember what that was in response to. :(

Man, feel so badly for all those people. Imagine your entire town gone. Feels like nothing is safe any more, even paradise.

"Craps until 4 AM in Hawaii?:" (I thought that was Mexico ...)

I’m thinking the same thing. That’s where it was when Hawaii still had Covid restrictions.

Not close to the same but my family and I will be there 100% if that’s what happens.
It's better for me. The last tournament I went to in Hawaii, the woman I went with and I didn't talk for 2 years after. Plus, I really love Vegas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom