2023 Maui Classic | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

It's not up to you to say what Maui needs to do. They will make decisions they need to make. The entire island is a community, I know this is lost on people not familiar. So simple a view to have; yeah we're out of range now we're X miles away from hundreds of people that burned to death, lets play tourist!

Look, people are hurting financially, I obviously get that, so that's why you'll hear some want visitors so they can make a living, and on the other hand, a lot don't want any tourists there at this time. Very complicated and it's completely up to the community to decide. Yes it will recover and reopen eventually, however it's not right now from what I know. They need time and breathing room to figure it out and cope
I never said it was up to me. I based an opinion on what I read from residents of the island. It's not playing tourist. It's about each community expressing their needs and not expecting those needs to be exactly the same across the entire island. And it just makes sense that people on areas of the island not directly affected by the fires can help those that were if they're not worried about their own income. What I'm saying is not some callous disregard for those that are hurting. It's suggesting that what some need may be different than what others need and trying to satisfy both will ultimately help everyone and does not have to be conflicting.

Last edited:
I never said it was up to me. I based an opinion on what I read from residents of the island.
And my point is, that’s some residents, there are plenty of residents that have a complete opposite view and just wanted that known before any false narratives get started.

Oh no, where will you live?

We hit the brakes on any planning/decision making once the fires broke out. We knew we had cancelation policies with the house and airlines, so we figured we'd just hold tight and see what happens. We didn't want to bug the home owners as we figured they were dealing with more important things.

We hit the brakes on any planning/decision making once the fires broke out. We knew we had cancelation policies with the house and airlines, so we figured we'd just hold tight and see what happens. We didn't want to bug the home owners as we figured they were dealing with more important things.

Edit- Now I'm not so sure if your comment wasn't sarcastic/dickish, but it might just be because I'm in a mood. If you were being sarcastic (or a dick)- I was just giving an update on my situation, in case it might give others a clue on what might be going on with their situation.
I was joking, not meant to be dickish. I apologize if taken that way.

All good, like I said, I'm in a bit of a mood lol.

This is a weird feeling though. We're in between "we'll go if the island wants us" and "It's just way too damn soon" Not really sure what the right move is here.
Having gone to places right before natural disasters (Thailand 2004, New Orleans 2015, and Zion 2021) and planned trips right after similar disasters, my advice - take it or leave it - is to probably postpone.

It's really expensive (money, time, and other) to go to Hawaii, and will not be in shape to provide the experience you'd hope.

Having gone to places right before natural disasters (Thailand 2004, New Orleans 2015, and Zion 2021) and planned trips right after similar disasters, my advice - take it or leave it - is to probably postpone.

It's really expensive (money, time, and other) to go to Hawaii, and will not be in shape to provide the experience you'd hope.
Pretty sure his girl has family on the islands, so some of that may be mitigated.

We went to a resort in Punta Cana last year after a hurricane. The people were kind and grateful, but I felt kind of gross about it. It felt weird to be there being pampered and enjoying myself while the people working there had no homes.

So one of the many complex challenges ongoing on Maui has been the housing issue and there are many. One I couldn't share before is outlined here in this article ( there is much more to it I can't share but at least it's something more public) Folks not yet settled aren't so concerned yet over getting more tourists while they deal with their own struggles and housing issues. This is one example of many as things are being sorted out that is specific to renters.

The right thing to do, in my opinion, would be to move it to Blaisdell, sell 3 times as many tickets and packages, make some rediculously priced VIP packages that donors from the schools will eat up, and donate all the money to small businesses and families in Lahaina. Get the hotels on Oahu to donate a portion of the packages to small businesses too. That's a win-win. Trying to hold it in Lahaina is not realistic, in my opinion. Either way, they need to make a decision/announcement soon if they're going to run with something like that.

Would the networks respect JBs wishes if he wanted to sit in a box and not be shown on TV?

I expect to see him in some sort of broadcasting role at some point even if he takes a year off this year.

Would the networks respect JBs wishes if he wanted to sit in a box and not be shown on TV?

I expect to see him in some sort of broadcasting role at some point even if he takes a year off this year.
Doubtful. Maybe a short stint like during the tournament. He’s working for the university and behind the scenes to ramp up NIL funding.

Doubtful. Maybe a short stint like during the tournament. He’s working for the university and behind the scenes to ramp up NIL funding.

He should be able to attend BB games like he attends FB games (I assume he doesn't go into the locker room and stand next to Dino etc) they do sometimes show him in a box at FB games but don't dedicate a bunch of the broadcast to him or interview him.

I'm sure hes declined whatever broadcasting opportunities presented to him up to this point but none of these coaches stay away from it totally see Calhoun or Knight give it a year and he might want to do color once a week or be part of a pregame show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom