2023 Maui Classic | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

Okay, I went to hawaii for the 1996 tournament. Let's start with the woman I took, well, we didn't speak for two years after the trip. No kidding. And who did we face in Hawaii. Ill. with Ryan Blackwell and Rhode Island and UMass. Yep. I went all the way to Hawaii to watch the Orange play two New England teams. I will not be in Maui.
When i go to Maui it isnt to be inside watching a bball game

Just did some random Expedia searching for Thanksgiving week this year to get a ball park idea. Not nearly as expensive as I would have thought. For 2 adults and one kid, there were options as low as $926/person for an apartment and $1300 a person for decent hotel on beach close to arena. $3900 total price package including flights out of Tampa for the three of us. ‍

I’ve been upgraded from questionable to probable…

Just did some random Expedia searching for Thanksgiving week this year to get a ball park idea. Not nearly as expensive as I would have thought. For 2 adults and one kid, there were options as low as $926/person for an apartment and $1300 a person for decent hotel on beach close to arena. $3900 total price package including flights out of Tampa for the three of us. ‍

I’ve been upgraded from questionable to probable…

DIBS ON TOM'S COUCH

Hawaii became my 50th state when I went to Maui Classic in 2013. If you have the time, here are some recommendations for those making their first trip to Hawaii.

1) Go a few days early and play tourist. Visit the other islands. We went to Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island (three day-trips on small planes). It was well worth it ... especially doing the entire Pearl Harbor tour and seeing the smouldering volcanoes on the Big Island up close. You may never go back there, so take advantage of the opportunity

2) Hire a good local guide for a day or two in Maui. You'll learn about history and culture as well as the spectacular scenery... and the best places to eat and drink. (And he/she will do the driving).

3) Stay at the team hotel. There was much family-like interaction between fans and the players/coaches on and around the beach. It really felt like a family vacation.

4) Hawaii is a bird-watchers paradise. If you're a birder, study up on Hawaiian birds or buy a good Hawaiian bird guide. For non-birders this probably sounds silly, but birders will understand.

Last edited:
My Thanksgiving dinner of chicken nuggets from a poolside bar, 13 Sands Lights, and whatever substances the locals wanted to give me in Atlantis will be hard to top but I suppose Maui is worth a try

Hawaii became my 50th state when I went to Maui Classic in 2013. If you have the time, here are some recommendations for those making their first trip to Hawaii.

1) Go a few days early and play tourist. Visit the other islands. We went to Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island (three day trips on small planes). It was well worth it ... especially doing the entire Pearl Harbor tour and seeing the smouldering volcanoes on the Big Island up close. You may never go back there, so take advantage of the opportunity

2) Hire a good local guide for a day or two in Maui. You'll learn about history and culture as well as the spectacular scenery... and the best places to eat and drink. (And he/she will do the driving).

3) Stay at the team hotel. There was much family-like interaction between fans and the players/coaches on and around the beach. It really felt like a family vacation.

4) Hawaii is a bird-watchers paradise. If you're a birder, study up on Hawaiian birds or buy a good Hawaiian bird guide. For non-birders this probably sounds silly, but birders will understand.
Is the team hotel a beach resort setting similar to the Bahamas or is it an upscale hotel similar to other away venues?

Not the same HI tournament; but, would love to see us schedule a game at the McHale Center, Galen Center, or Pauley Pavilion on the way out. A la 1995.

Floated this by my fiancé as an early 30th birthday present. Met with a lot of skepticism. Luckily have another year and a half to work on my pitch. I feel like I’m trying to land a 5 star
Just explain to her what a 5 star is.

Floated this by my fiancé as an early 30th birthday present. Met with a lot of skepticism. Luckily have another year and a half to work on my pitch. I feel like I’m trying to land a 5 star
Perhaps you didn't read my post about the woman I went to the Hawaii tournament with in `95 and I didn't speak to each other for two years after the Hawaii trip. Word to the wise

In 2013 it was a beach front hotel. I believe it was a Sheraton. It was less expensive than other beach front hotels in the area.
Correct in that it was the Sheraton. It was very enjoyable, except for them giving last call at 9pm, which was extended after some negotiations with hotel management.

Floated this by my wife yesterday, and met zero resistance. Return to Maui, hell yes, she was upset it would not be this year. Looks like the whole darn family wants to go.

Spilled the beans tonight to the wife that it’s not just a vacation (she was suspicious). Verbatim..ish “IDGAF if we are going to watch curling, it’s Hawaii”
Yup. My wife knew something was up when I said, How would you like to go to Hawaii next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom