2023 Maui Classic | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

For a rebuilding program, taking your lumps early and having the players understand what a high level team looks like isn't the worst thing in the world.

Maybe they won't be good but because of Maui I certainly know they'll be ready for ACC play.
Almost never works that way for us. That’s some old school Michigan State stuff. Usually when we start bad, it’s because we’re not that good. On the rare occasions when we’ve started bad and finished strong, the slow start haunts us and keeps us out of the dance.

When we’re good, we start 13-0, 12-1 and it doesn’t really matter who it’s against.

Almost never works that way for us. That’s some old school Michigan State stuff. Usually when we start bad, it’s because we’re not that good. On the rare occasions when we’ve started bad and finished strong, the slow start haunts us and keeps us out of the dance.

When we’re good, we start 13-0, 12-1 and it doesn’t really matter who it’s against.

2 wins in Maui. That would be a positive tell.

2 wins in Maui. That would be a positive tell.
Perhaps the new coach will work in our favor here. It will be early and teams will know very little about our tendencies.

With Boeheim, they’d know exactly what we’re going to try to do.

Perhaps the new coach will work in our favor here. It will be early and teams will know very little about our tendencies.

With Boeheim, they’d know exactly what we’re going to try to do.

That and friendly rims can't hurt either for guys like JJ.

Purdue is a team there is a better blueprint on how to beat now. They should get improved play at guard but they are lacking in backcourt athleticism which was an issue late last year.

Kansas is a stacked lineup. New pieces to work out. No idea if it has an impact but the HD addition has had some hard feelings echoing in their front court with one recent portal entry. Then you have maybe the highest paid collegiate athlete ( that we know) and how that dynamic plays out.

The Zags reloaded but also for the first time in what feels like a decade they have to run things through someone not named Timme.

Marquette to me comes in the strongest and would be the favorite for me.

Tennessee got some key guys back and will be one of the strongest backcourts. They also are inconsistent and had their own bit of turnover.

UCLA to me is much weaker than they have been and takes a step back this year.

So who knows if any of the above plays out in our favor but there is opportunity here without need to look at this a no win scenario outside Chaminade.

Last- on our side will be the storyline of the new backcourt having a vested interest in maximizing the opportunity to get some attention their way in the biggest pre season stage there is. If we get Mccleod, he may possibly get another shot at Edey to avenge their matchup in Tallahassee last year. Does that workout as a team positive? Let's hope

Eh it's college hoops, anything can happen.

brady_bunch_hawaii_galore.jpg

Since SU is expected to suck relative to the other teams the one benefit is we'll get the early games, good for us olds that don't want to stay up until 1:00 AM for a game.

Does Syracuse get allotted certain tickets for this? Wanting to go to this for sure.

Does Syracuse get allotted certain tickets for this? Wanting to go to this for sure.
All schools get allocated a specific number of tickets. At the moment, tickets are available only to those who purchase a travel package (which includes rooms at the team hotel). If these packages do not sell out, I suspect tickets might be available without having to get a hotel room, but I am not certain.

Last edited:
All schools get allocated a specific number of tickets. At the moment, tickets are available only to those who purchase a travel package (which includes rooms at the team hotel). If these packages do not sell out, I suspect tickets might be available without having to get a hotel room, but I am not certain.

It doesn't allow me to click the Syracuse logo. I'm assuming their packages for only their games are sold out?

It doesn't allow me to click the Syracuse logo. I'm assuming their packages for only their games are sold out?

That's correct.

per the website:
"The 2023 Maui Jim Maui Invitational is shaping up to be one of the best in history! Due to the high demand for the Tournament, all Booster fan travel packages are currently sold out. The Tournament will go on sale with ticket-only packages the week of August 7th. We expect ticket-only packages to be extremely limited. Please continue to follow our social media platforms and website for more on sale ticket information."

I have a feeling this tournament will not go well

what's the seating capacity for maui games ?
My eyeballs tell me maybe 1500 to 2000. It looks like a fun trip but kinda like Disney World you are a captive audience and everything is geared around extracting as much money as possible from the attendees.

The good news for us as a fan base, if Autry can coach as well as he recruits we'll have more invites to events like this as a top draw.

My eyeballs tell me maybe 1500 to 2000. It looks like a fun trip but kinda like Disney World you are a captive audience and everything is geared around extracting as much money as possible from the attendees.

The good news for us as a fan base, if Autry can coach as well as he recruits we'll have more invites to events like this as a top draw.
Capacity is 2400. Much less centralized than the Bahamas apparently. I was trying to wait for ticket only packages to become available since I had a line on a time share on the beach in Maui, but doesn’t look good now for tickets.

One thing to know is that tickets you obtain through a school are only good for the games the school plays. After your team’s game you’re forced to exit the arena quickly. There’s a lot of lining up waiting to get in to see your team’s game.

BTW, those gorgeous Hawaiian videos ESPN shows during the tournament -- they don’t have to leave the grounds of the Lahaina Civic Center to take them — mountain on one side and ocean on the other. Stunning place.

With all of the ticket packages sold out, does anyone have any idea of how possible it is to get tickets from scalpers/stubhub and/or sneak in the back door?!?

With all of the ticket packages sold out, does anyone have any idea of how possible it is to get tickets from scalpers/stubhub and/or sneak in the back door?!?
I don't recall any scalper action at the 2013 tourney. For one thing, the venue is so far from any of the campuses. For another, tickets are good only for games in which a specific team is playing. Thirdly, it is a very small venue.

I would not recommend making the trip without game tickets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom