2023 Maui Classic | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

it's premium - i couldn't even read it

sheldon-cooper-there-there.gif

Of all the places I’ve visited, Maui is the most beautiful and energizing! My heart goes out to the residents.​

Agree. That is why there used to be, and maybe still are, tee shirts that simply say "Maui The Best"

View attachment 230143

Made me think about the little guy I lost in our house fire. Poor Dino (after Babers, of course) didn’t come around until after the 10-3 season so he missed out on all the fun.

Maybe it won’t be this November but I’m excited to get to Lahaina sometime. It’s a never ending battle but everything gets better with time. :)
I was thinking about all the pets. Can’t imagine.

I was thinking about all the pets. Can’t imagine.
Over two years later still if I leave my house for even one night I find someone to go check on my cats for me. I know how ridiculous it is every time that I do it but I think it’s something I might never kick.

At least humans know why they’re so scared in those moments and what they need to do to survive. Pets are just scared chitless.

There were also fires in the uplands. No one is reporting on them.
Overall losses are up to 80 and climbing. There is no burn center on the Island.

There were also fires in the uplands. No one is reporting on them.
Overall losses are up to 80 and climbing. There is no burn center on the Island.

I've heard them talking about them and noted on a map since the first day just not as much coverage or drone/on foot pictures.

The only way I see it going on is if they just bring in just the teams, and then televise it on ESPN...all games with a fundraising effort going on at the same time, with celebrity sports figures etc, and also have the teams do some community service work there to help build or clean up. But even that probably takes too much added work, too soon. They can do the fundraising portion and hold it elsewhere and make it a big deal for helping to rebuild Lahaina.
Play it on an aircraft carrier in Pearl Harbor

A few thoughts on this:
1) For Maui, the point of the Maui Invitational is to promote tourism.
2) The vast majority of hotel rooms on Maui are undamaged yet few tourists will visit because of the tragedy. This may linger for years.
3) The Lahaina Civic Center is undamaged. There will be plenty of available hotel rooms. Why not keep the tournament in Lahaina in order to demonstrate that, despite the tragedy, Maui is open for tourism? They really, really need the business.

A few thoughts on this:
2) The vast majority of hotel rooms on Maui are undamaged yet few tourists will visit because of the tragedy. This may linger for years.
3) The Lahaina Civic Center is undamaged. There will be plenty of available hotel rooms. Why not keep the tournament in Lahaina in order to demonstrate that, despite the tragedy, Maui is open for tourism? They really, really need the business.
Maui has needed less tourists, not more. Maui needs better solutions for water and affordable housing for kanaka Maoli than they do to promote tourism.

Maui has needed less tourists, not more. Maui needs better solutions for water and affordable housing for kanaka Maoli than they do to promote tourism.

I had to Google kanaka Maoli. Unfortunately, Maui has long been a tourist economy. 51% of jobs are tourist related. That's a LOT of unemployed people if tourism went away.

Any solutions for "real Hawaiians" will take time, especially if reducing tourism is part of the plan.

I had to Google kanaka Maoli. Unfortunately, Maui has long been a tourist economy. 51% of jobs are tourist related. That's a LOT of unemployed people if tourism went away.

Any solutions for "real Hawaiians" will take time, especially if reducing tourism is part of the plan.
Agreed and it's complicated. The history of how the United states swiped away the hawaiian kingdom from Queen Lilliuokalani is a complex and ugly one. Hawaii was an international trade hub and very advanced prior to U.S. takeover. Their palace had electricity years before the White House. Their economy is "dependent" on tourism but the people benefit very little from said tourism. Sure it creates "jobs" but a lot of those jobs are worked by transplants and are not close to a livable wage.

A few thoughts on this:

From afar that seems all nice and dandy. Reality is that in 3 months most will still be displaced from their homes in temp housing and figuring out what they will do next. 80 pct of the city was wiped out and tree roots underground are still burning and thus ongoing management of the fire is key and avoiding any re ignition of the fire is critical.

Your heart is in the right place but in my extended experience with numerous disasters and recovery, the majority of the population isn't going to be wondering how soon they can get tourists back filling up hotels with this kind of devastation. Not to mention that the limited access to key utilities is much different on an island than the mainland. For an extended period power will be primarily from large generators. Cell service, towers and other utilities will take a long time to rebuild and again at the mercy of the fire risk being qualmed.

Lahaina will take a long time to be back open for business. Also those hotel rooms might become living quarters too while things get sorted with FEMA which can take time. Also there are 93 dead and counting. That's as many as 93 families looking to grieve and honor their lost loved ones. For those who lived there, that's 93 funeral services.. and so on.

So far the smartest play seems esomewhere else in Hawaii like at Hawaii U where you can handle a bigger crowd and thus then collect more to benefit the people of Lahaina.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom