2023 Maui Classic | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

we are taught as youngsters in school and at home (hopefully) to know your escape plan in case of fire. as a person who travels a lot i've learned to look at the the map on the back of the door and know where the exits are in an emergency. i can only imagine the difficulties when you're on a small island and the fire is spreading quickly and the only exit is water and there is no other place to run. the situation i'm sure was horrifying to say the least.

If it is Vegas, I'm going.
Has anyone warned Vegas?

images

The lack of a siren seemed crazily absent, but there's a complicated twist - some survivors are saying that if they had heard one, they would have headed away from the water (thinking it was a tsunami alert), and uphill the wrong way.

The lack of a siren seemed crazily absent, but there's a complicated twist - some survivors are saying that if they had heard one, they would have headed away from the water (thinking it was a tsunami alert), and uphill the wrong way.
but wouldn't have they known days in advance that a tsunami (d/b/a hurricane) was or wasn't headed their way?
(then again the 65mph winds were the result of Hurricane Dora)

but wouldn't have they known days in advance that a tsunami (d/b/a hurricane) was or wasn't headed their way?
(then again the 65mph winds were the result of Hurricane Dora)

A hurricane produces storm surge not a tsunami. We are talking about immediate emergencies not forecasted impacts. Also children may be among many of the dead so depending on age teaching them what the sirens mean is key and wouldn't provide enough time to filter between. Just watch the videos. The fire went out of control so fast fight or flight without proper direction kicked in.

A hurricane produces storm surge not a tsunami. We are talking about immediate emergencies not forecasted impacts. Also children may be among many of the dead so depending on age teaching them what the sirens mean is key and wouldn't provide enough time to filter between. Just watch the videos. The fire went out of control so fast fight or flight without proper direction kicked in.
sure as heck my kids wouldn't have lifted their faces from their iPads.

and apologies was confusing cyclone with tsunami.
(I spent 6 months in Japan right after their mess in 2011)

Yeah, I saw an interview with the guy who decided not to run the siren. In his opinion, many more people would have died, running into the fire to get away from the tsunami that wasn't happening. There was some stuff that went wrong with their emergency plan, but apparently, that wasn't it.

Last edited:
This is the response from a tournament official I received this week, continued thoughts and prayers for those in Maui...

Aloha,

Our top priority remains the well-being of our Maui ‘Ohana, and we will continue working closely with the local community as to how to best support recovery efforts as we raise funds for the victims in the coming weeks. We will continue to monitor the situation, and we extend our deepest sympathy to all those impacted. We will continue to share updates as we learn more.

We are working out all possible options with Maui but don’t have any definite updates yet. Please continue to check the official Maui Invitational website for updates.

Mahalo,

This is the response from a tournament official I received this week, continued thoughts and prayers for those in Maui...

Aloha,

Our top priority remains the well-being of our Maui ‘Ohana, and we will continue working closely with the local community as to how to best support recovery efforts as we raise funds for the victims in the coming weeks. We will continue to monitor the situation, and we extend our deepest sympathy to all those impacted. We will continue to share updates as we learn more.

We are working out all possible options with Maui but don’t have any definite updates yet. Please continue to check the official Maui Invitational website for updates.

Mahalo,
Time is not on their side. They've got to either move it, or cancel it.
(being sympathetic for something much bigger than basketball)

Aloha,

Mahalo,
I have to believe at this point (less than 3 months away) they have a good idea whether they will be able to host the tournament in Maui or not. They are likely working behind the scenes to identify another venue/site and sort out all of the logistics that come along with it before releasing a more definitive update.

I have to believe at this point (less than 3 months away) they have a good idea whether they will be able to host the tournament in Maui or not. They are likely working behind the scenes to identify another venue/site and sort out all of the logistics that come along with it before releasing a more definitive update.
I agree

I still think Vegas will be too much of a mess. Half the strip will be a racetrack, hotels and airbnbs are insane because of the race. I'm 100% in either way tho.
Hotel prices drop drastically starting Sunday November 19th and are very reasonable for the current dates of the tourney (Nov 20-22).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom