2023 MLB Season | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Season

Agreed, but was 3B coach waiving him in? If so, fire him at end of the year.

As I noted in a subsequent post, don’t think the third base coach was waving him — instead he was waving for the runner from first to keep going hard since he was the winning run.

Still a very bad read, and still terrible, but a little less egregious when you consider the context that he was trying to get 2 guys home. He had to keep McGuire moving. Still bad though not trying to argue the good here.

You all hear what this one is about? Hearing he’s got a love interest a bit on the young side.

I think I read a former interest who would have been 14 a few years ago decided to spill the beans on social media.

Of course it may or may not have merit. The Rays and MLB are doing the right thing by doing some investigation and telling him to sit for a while.

My Luis Castillo AL CY +1600 ticket is starting to have some life.. Threw some coin on Seattle to win the WS this morning, too.

That Nats team fell apart so quickly from 2019.

Rendon left as a FA - but it was a good pass by the Nats in retrospect.

Strasburg was signed and pitched like 8 games between 2020 and 2022.

Scherzer and Turner were traded away in 2021 for what looks like a very meh package.

Patrick Corbin peaked in 18/19, got a contract and sucked ever since.

Juan Soto was moved for a big package once the team imploded. Package with Abrams, Gore, Wood still has really good potential .. Hassell has went backwards as a prospect.

Robles had a 4.4 WAR in 2019 as a 22 year old rookie, and is now a AAA/MLB borderline player.

Invasion of the Robo Umps - or not

In 1939 Bob Dillinger, a minor leaguer for the St. Louis Browns who wore glasses, (and later became one of the majors best base stealers) was at bat. The ump called "STRIKE ONE!".

Dillinger glared at him through those glasses. The ump called "STRIKE TWO!".

Dillinger theatrically took off his glasses and handed them to the umpire, who took off his mask, put the glasses on and signaled for the next pitch.

STRIKE THREE! The ump then took off his mask and then Dillinger's glasses and handed them back to him.

(Source: Bill James New Historical Baseball Abstract, 2000)

Invasion of the Robo Umps - or not

In 1939 Bob Dillinger, a minor leaguer for the St. Louis Browns who wore glasses, (and later became one of the majors best base stealers) was at bat. The ump called "STRIKE ONE!".

Dillinger glared at him through those glasses. The ump called "STRIKE TWO!".

Dillinger theatrically took off his glasses and handed them to the umpire, who took off his mask, put the glasses on and signaled for the next pitch.

STRIKE THREE! The ump then took off his mask and then Dillinger's glasses and handed them back to him.

(Source: Bill James New Historical Baseball Abstract, 2000)
MLB doesn’t need robo umpires, they need to get rid of the bad umps. Plenty of umps that call a good game, but for some reason they can’t figure out how to only use the best guys behind the plate.Pretty sure it’s a Union thing as why they continue to let the CB Buckners and Angel Hernandez’s of the world ruin baseball.There has gotta be a way they can get an agreement that only the best call balls and strikes and maybe let the managers have a couple challenges in a game.

That Nats team fell apart so quickly from 2019.

Rendon left as a FA - but it was a good pass by the Nats in retrospect.

Strasburg was signed and pitched like 8 games between 2020 and 2022.

Scherzer and Turner were traded away in 2021 for what looks like a very meh package.

Patrick Corbin peaked in 18/19, got a contract and sucked ever since.

Juan Soto was moved for a big package once the team imploded. Package with Abrams, Gore, Wood still has really good potential .. Hassell has went backwards as a prospect.

Robles had a 4.4 WAR in 2019 as a 22 year old rookie, and is now a AAA/MLB borderline player.
Don’t look now but they’re good again

Don’t look now but they’re good again
At the Jays game tonight actually watching them play the Nats.

Got there early and had to walk by the bleacher area so sitting here during Washington BP. They are playing very good recently but still nine games below .500.

Not that it matters but there RHB in BP are very underwhelming. I have only noticed them hit a few out to left .

I can understand why the Angels are doing this. I don't think has been done at all since the August deadline dropped. Of course most teams that see themselves as "in it" at the deadline don't fall apart this quickly either.

They have no chance to win, all the FA's are not going to be offered salary arb (and therefore get compensation) due to being traded or not being good enough.

Why not save $10M+ as an organization on contracts and gain some goodwill from players and agents for giving players a chance to hook up with a contender for the final month. I assume the Angels talked to all the players they waived before doing the move.

Seems like the NL Wildcard contenders that are just on the outside (Mia, Cin, SF) might certainly be some of the benefactors as they have first dibs amongst teams in playoff contention.

Would really like the Jays to get a right handed bat, but I can't see these guys being passed up by all the teams with lower records.

I’m thinking Julio Urias has pitched his last game in Dodger blue.

What an idiot. Disappointing.

Gonsolin and May gone to season ending injuries and Urias surely gone to beating up women.

Can we get some more really good pitchers that won’t blow their arms out or assault any women? That would be cool.

People argue about what the "Golden Age" of baseball was. It may be just beginning:

Lemme see, players I remember watching as a kid ... Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Pete Rose, Don Drysdale, Roberto Clemente, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Frank Robinson, Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, Joe Morgan, Carl Yastrzemski, Johnny Bench, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Catfish Hunter, Lou Brock, Harmon Killebrew, Luis Aparicio, Brooks Robinson, Juan Marichal, Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Eddie Matthews, Whitey Ford, Willie McCovey, Warren Spahn, Bill Mazeroski, Willie Stargell, Jim Palmer, Orlando Cepeda ...

How am I doin? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom