2023 NFL Thread | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NFL Thread

Sorry, I just disagree and I wanted the Cowboys to win. Multiple lions say they did let them know. If we can just go “oh the ref didn’t hear them”, that’s literally what the wwe does with steel chairs. If we’re all ok with that answer, then prob shouldn’t be gambled on

Just about every big game is decided by a call or no call. The league is well past the point of needing full time refs. Billion dollar business that basically has refs one step up from the ACC refs. It a joke.

I mean, only one of the three players told the ref they were reporting as eligible. Refs can’t just assume that anybody running in their direction is trying to report lol. Either way you slice it, the refs messed up. Detroit tried to make it more confusing because they wanted to confuse the defense who wouldn’t have been able to hear who was reporting but the ref certainly could have if he had simply listened to the player that was speaking to him from inches away.
Seriously, this one seems pretty cut & dry. No rooting interest other than Dak for Fantasy. Lol @ defending that S- show. John Perry and the bootlicking espn production was embarrassing, trying to justify the call as they're showing the guy report on replay. "Don't believe your lying eyes".
SVP as usual with some much needed pushback.
Campbell said they spelled it out before the game too.
Rough year for Brad Allen, I thought that crew was pretty good before this year.

The eligible players are announced over the loud speaker. Goff has admitted they only heard 70 be announced. Why would he or the coaching staff not call a time out?

In the replays you can see the defense pointing to 70. If 68 had been announced odds are he is not wide open.

Honestly, the ref apologists around here...

The refs screwed up this call, it's as simple as that. Why they didn't slow down and review that? I can't answer.

Watch TV this morning, they are acknowledging it was the wrong call and the Lions got screwed.

The refs screwed up this call, it's as simple as that. Why they didn't slow down and review that? I can't answer.

Watch TV this morning, they are acknowledging it was the wrong call and the Lions got screwed.

Its not a reviewable play. No way that it could ever be really.

Again, the refs screw up every big game. Apparently this one is a big deal because one finally went for Dallas instead of against them.

And none of this would have even been possible had the Cowboys not been called for a tripping penalty after the interception, when there was no tripping by the TE. It was the Detroit player who tried to trip the RB.

If they are first and 10 instead of first and 25, they either score a TD or use up way more time.

Again, the refs screw up every big game. Apparently this one is a big deal because one finally went for Dallas instead of against them.
It's either the victim thing or it was the most recent standalone game, one of those.
The eye in the sky has overturned things not technically reviewable too many times for that to be an excuse.

Funny thing is, many of the people who are ripping the refs for last night’s call would be saying “SyRaCuSe ShOuLdN’t HaVe LeT iT cOmE tO tHaT” or “tOo BaD…pLaY bEtTaR!” had this scenario unfolded against Syracuse.

They review and overturn EVERYTHING now, perhaps you missed it. The eye in the sky.

They have video of the player reporting. The ref screwed up, that's not the Lions' fault. Should have been a 1 point lead for Lions after eye in the sky quick review.

Funny thing is, many of the people who are ripping the refs for last night’s call would be saying “SyRaCuSe ShOuLdN’t HaVe LeT iT cOmE tO tHaT” or “tOo BaD…pLaY bEtTaR!” had this scenario unfolded against Syracuse.
4 Rocking Chair W's vs a 2% W expectancy vs Kansas with 2minutes left...
But ya know we had zero right to expect a fair whistle in the '13 Final4 because every Champ wins 6 blowouts.

They review and overturn EVERYTHING now, perhaps you missed it. The eye in the sky.

They have video of the player reporting. The ref screwed up, that's not the Lions' fault. Should have been a 1 point lead for Lions after eye in the sky quick review.

They have a video of 3 OL going to the ref and only 1 reporting in. Along with a loud speaker announcement of 70 being eligible and not 68. Goff admitted they heard it, yet Detroit did nothing.

Hope you are just as outraged by the tripping call that was totally bogus on the previous series that made Detroit's last drive even possible..

They have a video of 3 OL going to the ref and only 1 reporting in. Along with a loud speaker announcement of 70 being eligible and not 68. Goff admitted they heard it, yet Detroit did nothing.

Hope you are just as outraged by the tripping call that was totally bogus on the previous series that made Detroit's last drive even possible..

I'm not outraged at all. If anything the Cowboys win helps the Bills strength of Victory, but that would be all I care about.

I'm just giggling at the ref apologists who like to argue "nothing" is ever happening, when it clearly happens all the time (meaning, league interference in outcomes)

I'm not outraged at all. If anything the Cowboys win helps the Bills strength of Victory, but that would be all I care about.

I'm just giggling at the ref apologists who like to argue "nothing" is ever happening, when it clearly happens all the time (meaning, league interference in outcomes)

Like I said earlier, it is every single game that the refs have a hand in it.

To me the video isn’t definitive. There is no audio of which player actually reported. Detroit clearly was trying to deceive Dallas by having three players look like they’re engaging with the refs. Of course Detroit will say that 68 reported and 70 did not, but unless there is audio there is no way to tell for sure.
And Detroit absolutely should have confirmed that 68 was eligible after the announcement. Major blunder there.

Lions got screwed. 68 reported clear as day on replay. The official didn’t pay attention to detail.

Can’t imagine what the fallout would have been had that been a divisional playoff game. Would have looked like WWE fix was in to ensure the Cowboys advance.

Lions got screwed. 68 reported clear as day on replay. The official didn’t pay attention to detail.

Can’t imagine what the fallout would have been had that been a divisional playoff game. Would have looked like WWE fix was in to ensure the Cowboys advance.

Cowboys got screwed by a non-existent tripping call the series before that made the come back even possible.

The refs giveth, the refs taketh away.

The eligible players are announced over the loud speaker. Goff has admitted they only heard 70 be announced. Why would he or the coaching staff not call a time out?

In the replays you can see the defense pointing to 70. If 68 had been announced odds are he is not wide open.
They didn't have any timeouts. Their only real recourse was to try to correct the refs and give the play away/likely take a delay of game, or audible to a different play which isn't generally what you want to do on a 2 point conversion that decides the game.

Re: The defense pointing to 70; we'll never know for sure, but the number of TDs that offensive linemen have caught would seem to suggest that this kind of thing still works fairly often even after they've been announced as eligible. Given the context around #70 reporting all game and how loud it was, it's entirely possible that the defense would have thought it was #58 rather than #68 that was reported as eligible since #58 was lined up as an extra TE right next to #70, whereas #68 was lined up as the LT.

It was a really well designed play/trickeration by Detroit. Unfortunate that the ref seemed to be on autopilot and didn't actually care who reported.

what could they do? they had no TOs, they could have tried to argue in real time and hope a delay doesnt get called.

what could they do? they had no TOs, they could have tried to argue in real time and hope a delay doesnt get called.

That is a fair point. Even if Goff throws elsewhere they get a flag for ineligible downfield.

The whole play design depending on deception i really just poor imo.

the whole play is just weird. How does 70 report when he never actually gets within 10-15 ft of the ref? how does 68 go there and forget. Then you can see the ref nod at something that was said as he walks away from the first 2 dudes and 70 is still catching up to the group

the whole play is just weird. How does 70 report when he never actually gets within 10-15 ft of the ref? how does 68 go there and forget. Then you can see the ref nod at something that was said as he walks away from the first 2 dudes and 70 is still catching up to the group

Okay, based on what Rex Ryan just said...in case it's of interest.

You don't really have to get closer apparently. They usually just waive their hands in front of their jersey number and the ref acknowledges by pointing back That's sort of a general norm? Maybe. That's what I got out of it.

He also said the ref was likely so used to 70 reporting in, as he would have done so multiple times throughout the game, that he just called it that way on auto-pilot. 70 checking in eligible all game is part of the set-up for THIS specific play late in a game.

The Lion's coach would have have gone over the play with the ALL the officials pre-games so they know it's coming and how it works. 70 was a decoy for the defense to maybe confuse it a bit more, but they would have known that too.

68 has done this play a lot - as has 70, and 68 has multiple touchdowns in his career off of it, so there is a zero percent chance that they didn't know exactly how to execute it correctly - and officials have gotten it right every other time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom