2023 Syracuse Mets Thread | Syracusefan.com

2023 Syracuse Mets Thread

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Didn't see one started yet. It is time.

Just saw there will be robots calling balls and strikes at all AAA games this year, including Syracuse. MLB is increasingly testing changes to the game in the minors. They have been doing testing in past years but are really expanding it now.

Should be interesting.

Also wanted to talk a bit about the Syracuse Mets. It looks like (as of right now) this could be a really good year for the team. The Mets did not trade any of their big prospects and it is very possible they start the season in Syracuse.

Sure sounds like Alvarez will be catching (next to a robot) early on for Syracuse. I think Vientos is probably going to be the DH or maybe play 1B. Brett Baty might stay with the NY Mets but I think they will want him to play every day so it is likely he plays 3B, at least for a while.

Ronny Mauricio is another top 100 prospect who had a great winter season and he is expected to start 2023 in Syracuse. He has been playing SS but there is talk he might get moved to the outfield because Lindor is blocking him from playing shortstop.

Last I read, it is expected that at least one of David Peterson and Tylor Megill will open the season starting for Syracuse. Perhaps both. Jose Butto looked promising last year and should also be part of the rotation. I think Bryce Montes De Oca is probably going to be in the bullpen, along with fellow 100 mph relief pitcher Michel Otanez. The Mets added some promising arms with people like William Woods, Stephen Ridings, Taler Saucedo and Zach Greene and I think Nogosek might end up in Syracuse as well.

If the parent club stays relatively healthy, we might just have a team in Syracuse that wins more games than it loses. It would be great to have a good team to root for.

For name value alone it's great list: Brett Baty, Jett Williams, Blade Tidwell and a pitcher named Mike Vasil (ine)
Looks like a lot of them have some talent too.

I think this is the first year we will see a good team in Syracuse. Unless there is a rash of injuries, this team should contend for a pennant.

And we could see a couple guys who might be future all stars play here for most of the season.

Should be a fun year.

The most important signing of the off season is complete. We can play the 2023 season now.

Somehow, someway, the Wilpons did something right. Waiting for them to go bankrupt again and have to sell SNY. It can't happen soon enough.

Projections on who will be on the Mets 26 man roster are coming out.

It is looking really likely Alvarez is starting the year in Syracuse. Michael Perez will probably back him up/mentor him. Vientos should start at 1B or 3B. Mendick will probably start at SS. Peraza might be the 2B.

Locastro, DJ Stewart and Lorenzo Cedeola might be the starting OFs. Lee got through waivers and is back on Syracuse and assuming he is legally able to, he might get a lot of PT here too.

Baty will probably start in NY and Mauricio will probably start with Binghamton.

Looks like Peterson and Megill will be part of the Syracuse rotation, along with Butto. That is a really impressive first three. Bryce Montes de Oca should be in the bullpen, along with Nogosek (I believe he is out of options and would have to clear waivers).

Ridings would be in Syracuse, Jeff Brigham, Elieser Hernandez, William Woods, Josh Walker, Sean Reid-Foley and Billy Hunter. Some really good arms. Vast improvement over the dreck we have had imposed on us the last couple of years by the Mets.

Not sure what will happen with injuries and trades but right now, it looks like Syracuse is going to win a lot of games this year.

Projections on who will be on the Mets 26 man roster are coming out.

It is looking really likely Alvarez is starting the year in Syracuse. Michael Perez will probably back him up/mentor him. Vientos should start at 1B or 3B. Mendick will probably start at SS. Peraza might be the 2B.

Locastro, DJ Stewart and Lorenzo Cedeola might be the starting OFs. Lee got through waivers and is back on Syracuse and assuming he is legally able to, he might get a lot of PT here too.

Baty will probably start in NY and Mauricio will probably start with Binghamton.

Looks like Peterson and Megill will be part of the Syracuse rotation, along with Butto. That is a really impressive first three. Bryce Montes de Oca should be in the bullpen, along with Nogosek (I believe he is out of options and would have to clear waivers).

Ridings would be in Syracuse, Jeff Brigham, Elieser Hernandez, William Woods, Josh Walker, Sean Reid-Foley and Billy Hunter. Some really good arms. Vast improvement over the dreck we have had imposed on us the last couple of years by the Mets.

Not sure what will happen with injuries and trades but right now, it looks like Syracuse is going to win a lot of games this year.

Onwe thing I liked that Brodie Van Wagenen did was to use the AAA team as a sort of bullpen for players with major league experience. You win at this level with proven players as prospects either aren't ready or will be with the big club once they get going. If the Mets pull guys up, hopefully their replacements are more likely guys coming back down than AA guys getting their first shot.

Onwe thing I liked that Brodie Van Wagenen did was to use the AAA team as a sort of bullpen for players with major league experience. You win at this level with proven players as prospects either aren't ready or will be with the big club once they get going. If the Mets pull guys up, hopefully their replacements are more likely guys coming back down than AA guys getting their first shot.
The Mets reportedly put a premium on getting pitchers with minor league options so they would have a lot of flexibility with the pitching roster as the season progresses, players get hurt, doubleheaders come up, etc.

I expect the players with options will come and go from Syracuse to NYC regularly. Including Peterson and Megill.

“Listen,” Cohen said, “ultimately the path is to create a sustainable farm system. That’s how we’re going to lower our payroll in a way that doesn’t hurt our success. That’s where we ultimately have to go, at least for me, to consider my ownership a success.”

“There’s a long-term blueprint,” general manager Billy Eppler said last week. “We want to build a model of sustainability. To build a model of sustainability, you have to keep your farm system.”

The Syracuse Mets announced 8 home games will be televised this season. Including one tomorrow afternoon.

Pretty cool. The radio guys will do the games. They do the telecasts for milb for all home games anyway.

Both are Newhouse guys and both are talented.

And the team is good this year. Just swept a doubleheader today. Tied for 4th out of 20 teams.

This team has a chance to finish in the Top 2-3 this season.

CNY folks please support them.

Not sure Baty will survive in AAA until May. Watch him while you can.

Another day, another win. HRs by Mauricio (6) and Baty (5).

Guess who suddenly atop the standings in the International League?

So does that mean that Francisco Alvarez sticks with the big club? What do they do with the three catchers?

So does that mean that Francisco Alvarez sticks with the big club? What do they do with the three catchers?
I would guess if Sanchez is able to turn his career around, it is going to take months of hard work at the AAA level. Once Alvarez was called up, the Syracuse Mets were left with some really underwhelming (and under performing) catchers. Sanchez has to be an upgrade over those guys.

Too bad the aquarium isn’t in place yet. The Kraken could live right down the road from the stadium

Kraken Boardgames GIF by Perro Loko Games

When Narvaez comes off the IL for the Mets in what, 6 more weeks or so, the Mets will need to make a big decision at the catcher position. What they do will surely be largely decided by how Nido and Alvarez play from now to then. Alvarez just hit a HR in the game tonight. He is looking more comfortable at the plate and behind the plate every day. I have a feeling he is here to stay.

Thinking the Mets are probably already talking to teams about possible deals for Nido. He has a good reputation defensively and that alone might get the Mets a helpful piece.

The Mets could go with 3 catchers but that seems doubtful. Very doubtful.

Last edited:
Interesting. This tweet says the game is “sold out” and first pitch is 11:00 at night.

I just went on the site and there are approx. 1,000 tickets available.

Was at the game tonight. Like the big club, the Smets are scoring lots of runs and giving up lots of runs. They managed to win this one, overcoming two three-run deficits to win with a two out, bases loaded single in the 9th by centerfielder Lorenzo Cedrola, who, after Ronny Mauricio gets called up, will be the closest thing to a prospect in our day-to-day line-up. Jose Butto started and gave up 7 hits, including 3 homer runs and a walk, leading to 5 earned runs. That was way better than what he did on Tuesday: 1.3 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks, 7 earned runs in a 12-17 loss. His ERA is now 7.30. If the Mets get pitching help, it's likely to be outside the organization.

Mauricio prepared for his eventual call-up to the big club by getting hit by two pitches - one on the elbow of his non-throwing arm and one in the side. Both were so painful he was doubled over in agony for a mintue or so. But he survived both and stayed in the game. He was 1 for 3 with a single and walk, scoring both times. He also made a nice play -at second, not short - on a ball where the runner was in front of him and he had to wait for him to pass to field it. He's now hitting .348.

A line-up of Alvarez-Alonso-Mauricio-Lindor-Baty-McNeil-Nimmo-Marte with Vientos as DH could light up a lot of scoreboards. And the guys we then wouldn't need could be trade bait for a pitcher or two. The Smets are 20-31 with the young stars. I don't know what they are going to do without them. But since I also root for the big club I care a lot less than I would have a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom