2023 Syracuse Mets Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Syracuse Mets Thread

I think it is great that the Syracuse Mets are honoring the history of Syracuse and pro basketball.

But the Syracuse Shot Clocks?

Why not the Syracuse Nats? They would really excite some old timers and make the uniforms they are giving away true keepsakes.

Maybe next time.

The team is getting on a bit of a roll now. Will be interesting to see how Vasil and Ritter do in Syracuse. Both were just called up from Binghamton.

Vasil can throw 97 mph and I believe was pitcher of the month for the Eastern League in May.

Butto has gone in a tailspin. Peterson is mostly struggling. That leaves Lucchesi and Vasil are the pitchers at aaa right now who might help in NY.

Seems to me attendance is up from last year and noticeably better. But I have only been to 4 or 5 games.

Ronny Mauricio finally got a start in the outfield last night. Played LF. Hit 2 mammoth HRs but also made an error. Has made a lot of errors at SS and at 2B. Defense might be a problem for him..

Peterson got the start, and looks about the same as he did in NY. Got a lot of strikeouts, struggled with control, threw a ton of pitches and ended up giving up 4 earned runs. He might be down in Syracuse the rest of the season.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains...

Some love - big love - for Jason Benetti, former Syracuse Chiefs announcer now the play-by-play man for the Chicago White Sox. Gary Cohen, perhaps the be PBP man going, said he was a connoisseur of play-by play men, that's there's a great deal of young talent in that area these days but the best of them is Jason Benetti. "He's very precise, has a great voice and is hilarious." Ron Darling seconded the opinion, repeating "absolutely hilarious".

The Syracuse Mets wasted a good effort from Megill today. Had a lead going into the eighth but this team has had bad relief pitching most of the season and Reid-Foley gave up 3 that inning to give Worchester the lead late.

Vientos is hitting well but Mauricio has not played in a few games. I assume he is hurt. Hope it is not serious.

Nido went 3 for 4 and might finally be coming out of a year long slump.

I see Luke has 6 homers in 20 games for the Smets but is batting .212. He would be a great back-up for Pete, who is hitting .211 with 26 homers in 86 games.

I see Luke has 6 homers in 20 games for the Smets but is batting .212. He would be a great back-up for Pete, who is hitting .211 with 26 homers in 86 games.
I'm more of an OPS guy and that's being emphasized more in the tv broadcasts that I watch also.

I'm more of an OPS guy and that's being emphasized more in the tv broadcasts that I watch also.

And what is a major component of both on base percentage and slugging percentage? Batting average. A hitter with the power of Pete Alonso should see how many times he can make good contact with the ball. With his power, the home runs will come naturally as a result. Mike Schmidt used to say that he told himself that he want to hit the ball but "like the ball was an egg I was trying not to break".

Last year, Pete's batting average was .271, his on-base percentage .352 and his slugging percentage .518, giving him and OPS of .869. As a rookie he was .260/.358/.583 = .941. This year he's .211/.310/.497 = .807.

It's not 'OK' to hit .211 because batting average has become 'irrelevant'.

By the way, here's my alternative to OPS, which has flaws of it's own. I like stats that are easy for the average fan to understand and compute and yet get to the point of the matter efficiently.

Last edited:
I went to the SMets game this afternoon. It was a glorious day, low 80's, low humidity and sunny. The kind of day you dream about in January.

Chris Sale was on the mound for the WoSox for the second time this week. He also started Tuesday's game, when he pitched two innings. Today he was on a pitch count and was pulled after the first batter in the 5th inning. Tall drink of water with a whip-like arm who could release the ball at different levels. He's like DeGrom: heck of a pitcher but how do you get to Cooperstown with 119 wins in 13 years and you're 34? Anyway, the SMets could do nothing with him. I've now seen DeGrom. Scherzer and Sale pitch here.

Trevor Story was rehabing as well and hit a two-run homer in the first. The Sox got two more in the second, largely due to some of the 4 errors the SMets committed in the first three innings, (they also had another missed catch when the center fielder failed to call off the right fielders and a ball that dropped when the same center fielder did hustle to get to it. He and the left fielder also failed to back up the shortstop on an attempt at a 3-4-3 DP hat bounced off the shortstop's glove, clearing the bases when there no need to give up a run). In the third, Bobby Dalbec hit his 27th home run on the season on his 86th hit to make it 0-5.

Things changed when Sale left to a standing ovation, mostly form the Red Sox fans who were there, of which there were many. The game started to change at that point: Joe Suozzi hit a homer to put the SMets on the board. The Sox added another run to pad their lead to 6-1. Then, in the bottom of the 6th, the SMets loaded the bases and that apathetic center fielder, Brandon McIlwain, became a hero by hitting the ball over the left field fence to make it 5-6.

The Sox answered in the 7th when their catcher, Ronaldo Hernández, hit the light tower over the Beer deck in left. Maurico saw it and just turned around to see how far it would go. The Sox added a third run in the 8th and home team came into the bottom of the ninth down by 3 runs.

They got the first two guys on and then made two outs. Nick Meyer came to the plate. The Smets announcer, (I think it was Evan Stockton), said, "No need for a home run, just get a single to keep this game alive". Meyer, who couldn't hear him, belted the ball over the left field fence, just to the right of the deck. It wasn't as long as Hernández's shot but it counts for three times as many runs and tied the game. Mauricio came up, trying to hit the game winner but could not and we went into extra innings.

The Smets prevent the Sox's 'ghost runner' from even getting to third. The Chiefs bunted their to third and Tomas Nido came up. Nido, an infamous "good field, no hit" type in the majors, entered the game hitting an amazing .282. it had gotten progressively more amazing as he had gotten three hits and was now batting .305 laced a single to increase his batting average to .313 and win the game for the SMets

The Syracuse Mets are playing the Yankee AAA team right now. The game is in PA, Top of the ninth. Mets up 3-0, Mike Vasil has a no hitter through eight.

He has struggled some since he got called up to AAA but is striking out a lot of hitiers. He has it going tonight.

I went to a game last week

The Mets Staff put on a great overall game experience.

I will be back again before the season is over.

All i do every time I’m there is say to myself “why don’t we come to more games?”

It’s an awesome place.

One of many differences, great and small. Before the Mets took over, that place was full of cobwebs. You had to make sure you weren't leaning or sitting into one. I haven't seen a cobweb since.

Will we see these guys in Syracuse before the end of this season? (Remember: they play to the end of September now.)

I love this: “You want to make the baseball gods laugh,” Buck Showalter likes to say, “tell them about your plans.”

Another beautiful day at the ballpark. I LOVE these Sunday games. This one belonged to the Mets from the beginning, 9-2. We hit 3 homer runs. Vasil was great. 6 hits but one walk and just a solo home run in the 6th inning. He was in total command. Baty continues to rake. He was 2/3 with a double, an RBI and run scored. Mauricio was 1 for 4 with a double. They had him at second base. He had one ball go off his glove but they didn't give him an error.

Brett Baty "pulls a Willie Mays":

Not really:

Another fine Sunday afternoon at the ballpark, (two more this season). A bit cooler but nothgin uncomfortable. The yellowjackets are out and just love the barabque sauce I got with my chicken tenders. I was 3/4 of the way through it when I tried to shew a couple away and hit the tray they were in, dumping it on the walkway below. I was on a diet anyway...

Butto pitched and, as per his tendency, pitched well for 4 innings, giving up one run, before blowing up in the 5th and leaving down 1-4. We lost the game, 2-15, leaving no less than 15 runners on base. Butto is now 3-7 with a 5.93 ERA. He's pitched better than that but loses something in the mid innings.

Mauricio has heated up while Baty has slumped. Brett was hitting .358 when I left the ballpark last Sunday. He's now down to .309 after going 0 for 3 with 2 walks. Mauricio had the same line but he's had three 3 hit games this week and is back up to .293. He's at second base and the radio guys said that he seems more comfortable there. He ran down a pop-up to medium right with ease, sticking out his long arm to gather it in. I think someday, in the near future, the Mets infield will be Alonso, Mauricio, Lindor and Baty.

The line-up may also include Brandon McIlwain. He's now hitting .282 with a couple of doubles today and made three spectacular catches in the outfield, one diving to his left and the other two sliding. Put McNeil in right, McIlwain in center and Nimmo in left with Alvarez behind the plate with Vientos DHing and we could have a pretty good line-up, offensively and defensively, that could be together for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom