2023 Yankees Season | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Yankees Season

Probably won't make a lot of fans happy, but DJ is almost back to being a league average hitter. He has an .880 OPS and 138OPS+ since the All Star break.

Probably won't make a lot of fans happy, but DJ is almost back to being a league average hitter. He has an .880 OPS and 138OPS+ since the All Star break.
Yeah looking good. I saw an article this morning that the Yankees were (supposedly) going to make a play for Matt Chapman for 3rd base. Why? DJ is better than adequate there and they have several other in-house options to fill in around him. Cashman never learns.

If he's hitting, he's an asset. The problem with DJLM is that he's almost 36 and in his career he's prone to long and season long slumps where for every season or two where he's good enough to win batting titles and there's three or four where he's below average.

Yes, he is at exactly 100 wRC+ before today's game. He has always been a pretty inconsistent offensive performer in his career, but who would have expected a 22.7% strikeout rate? It blows my mind.

Yes, he is at exactly 100 wRC+ before today's game. He has always been a pretty inconsistent offensive performer in his career, but who would have expected a 22.7% strikeout rate? It blows my mind.
I'm not a big believer in hitting coaches meaning much, but his walk rate and BABIP is way up since Casey took the job which makes me think he was chasing way too much in the first half.

I'm not a big believer in hitting coaches meaning much, but his walk rate and BABIP is way up since Casey took the job which makes me think he was chasing way too much in the first half.
LeMahieu, Stanton, and Rodon will almost certainly be Yankees next year. If all of them have good Septembers, I will feel slightly better about next year.

Yeah looking good. I saw an article this morning that the Yankees were (supposedly) going to make a play for Matt Chapman for 3rd base. Why? DJ is better than adequate there and they have several other in-house options to fill in around him. Cashman never learns.

Chapman is on the IL. As soon as Cashman sees that, he'll make TO an offer. :rolleyes:

I thought he was trying too hard to do too much, especially after AJ went down.

I'd rather have Cody Bellinger than Chapman. He's younger, more athletic and can play any OF position or first base.

Volpe batting 3rd and IKF batting 5th tells you all you need to know about the Yankees this year.
Can't wait to see if Boone bats Dominquez 9th.

I'd rather have Cody Bellinger than Chapman. He's younger, more athletic and can play any OF position or first base.
The main concern I have with Bellinger (besides that they should have signed him last winter), is that his exit velocity and hard hit % is way down from his heyday. He used to be elite (90%+) in those categories and now, even with a good season, he's among the lowest 20% of the league combined with a fairly high BABIP. Of course, EV isn't the be-all end all, but if he's going to be expected to move to 1B, he's going to need to be bring a big bat. He's going to work his way into a sizeable contract this off-season and the last thing the Yankees need is a big contract and declining bat at a position that is supposed to carry the offense.

The main concern I have with Bellinger (besides that they should have signed him last winter), is that his exit velocity and hard hit % is way down from his heyday. He used to be elite (90%+) in those categories and now, even with a good season, he's among the lowest 20% of the league combined with a fairly high BABIP. Of course, EV isn't the be-all end all, but if he's going to be expected to move to 1B, he's going to need to be bring a big bat. He's going to work his way into a sizeable contract this off-season and the last thing the Yankees need is a big contract and declining bat at a position that is supposed to carry the offense.
Keep in mind that his agent is Scott Boras. If the Yankees want him, they’ll have to be prepared to pay up. Bellinger is having a great year, I just fear that if NY signs him, he’ll be back below the Mendoza line next year.

Keep in mind that his agent is Scott Boras. If the Yankees want him, they’ll have to be prepared to pay up. Bellinger is having a great year, I just fear that if NY signs him, he’ll be back below the Mendoza line next year.
These are valid concerns. He would have been an ideal buy low candidate last year. I do think he’s Taylor made for Yankee Stadium. Because of the price tag my guess is they don’t sign him.

Top 10th

Stanton on 2nd (yeah right) / Rortvedt to PR

IKF / Judge to PH
Peraza
Pereira

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online