2024 All-ACC Team

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Twitter_Mens_2_.png

2024 All-ACC Men’s Lacrosse Team
Billy Dwan, So., D, Syracuse
Owen Hiltz, Jr., A, Syracuse
Will Mark, Gr., G, Syracuse

Looks like a list of players who had a good year, rather than a true "Team". Two goalies, eight attackmen. Nice for players to receive recognition, but consider me old fashioned, I like when these are compiled to look like an actual "Team".

Syracuse (3) finishes second in the conference but finishes behind both Duke (4) and UVA (4) in terms of players chosen. Sure, okay.

Corrigan rightfully chosen as coach of the year given he went undefeated in conference, but I hope Gait got a vote or two, Syracuse was chosen to finish last in the conference after all.

Wish they gave a defenseman the defensive player of the year award, rather than give it to a goalie when there is already a goalie of the year award.

Looks like a list of players who had a good year, rather than a true "Team". Two goalies, eight attackmen. Nice for players to receive recognition, but consider me old fashioned, I like when these are compiled to look like an actual "Team".

Syracuse (3) finishes second in the conference but finishes behind both Duke (4) and UVA (4) in terms of players chosen. Sure, okay.

Corrigan rightfully chosen as coach of the year given he went undefeated in conference, but I hope Gait got a vote or two, Syracuse was chosen to finish last in the conference after all.

Wish they gave a defenseman the defensive player of the year award, rather than give it to a goalie when there is already a goalie of the year award.
Agreed, if you’re gonna do 8 attackmen and 2 goalies just do a 1st team and 2nd team and keep it to an actual starting lineup. These lists are getting silly.

Lots of love for schools that finished 1-3 in conference and not so much for one that finished 3-1. Carter Rice and Stevens at minimum are total whiffs. I don't care what games they are looking at. We are used to the disrespect at this point.

To your last point, I wouldn't pick Entenmann as the overall defensive player of the year anyway. He's good but benefits from being on the best team IMO.

Nope. Unfortunately.
Would have to agree, but in the end teams draping their number one cover guy on him the whole game is the reason Hiltz is on the all ACC team. He has helped us a ton with that alone. And I highly doubt teams stray away from that formula. Any less than elite cover guy on him and he tends to go off.

And they seem to only care about ACC games for certain players. Duffy only played in 2 of the 4 ACC games for UNC. In one of those games he only went 1-2. Still makes all ACC team. Either way it is a non-issue, but every team would kill for a weapon like Spallina, even if his stats have been lower in 3 of the 4 ACC games. He is a huge part of our offense, which is one of the best in the country.

Would have to agree, but in the end teams draping their number one cover guy on him the whole game is the reason Hiltz is on the all ACC team. He has helped us a ton with that alone. And I highly doubt teams stray away from that formula. Any less than elite cover guy on him and he tends to go off.

And they seem to only care about ACC games for certain players. Duffy only played in 2 of the 4 ACC games for UNC. In one of those games he only went 1-2. Still makes all ACC team. Either way it is a non-issue, but every team would kill for a weapon like Spallina, even if his stats have been lower in 3 of the 4 ACC games. He is a huge part of our offense, which is one of the best in the country.
How many Freshman are starting in the ACC?

Not many. But Duffy does not deserve special treatment because he is a freshman. Lyght at ND is more deserving than Duffy. He has shut down multiple top attack in the ACC. Duffy only played in 2 of 4 games and only did well in 1.

This is the issue going forward. With the portal and unlimited transferring allowed, most teams will be stocked with older players. There will be fewer opportunities for freshmen to make an impact. The phasing out of the Covid-era players should ease this situation somewhat, especially among Ivy League players.

Off the top of my head;

Syracuse - Hottle, Figuerias (RS)
Duke - Benn Johnston
UVA - Millon
Notre Dame - Faison, Lyght
UNC - Duffy, Thomann, Pietramala (RS), Preis, Wambach

I'm probably missing someone. If it's just based on ACC play, hard to say Duffy should have gotten it. He had eight points in two games (SU and UVA).

Honestly, Wambach (55% against the ACC teams) seems like he might be the choice with how well he played, also could be Lyght.

Faison drew a long poll from two grad student/seniors on his own midfield line - but he only had three total points vs ACC teams. Johnston, just four total points against the ACC.

Millon had 13 points against ACC teams, less than Duffy's average of four, but 3.25 points against ACC teams is pretty good.

Not sure they would consider red shirts, so don't know if Petro or Figuerias were considered.

I don't think much thought was put into this voting to be honest.

Off the top of my head;

Duke - Benn Johnston
UVA - Millon

I'm probably missing someone. If it's just based on ACC play, hard to say Duffy should have gotten it. He had eight points in two games (SU and UVA).

Honestly, Wambach (55% against the ACC teams) seems like he might be the choice with how well he played, also could be Lyght.

Faison drew a long poll from two grad student/seniors on his own midfield line - but he only had three total points vs ACC teams. Johnston, just four total points against the ACC.

Millon had 13 points against ACC teams, less than Duffy's average of four, but 3.25 points against ACC teams is pretty good.

Not sure they would consider red shirts, so don't know if Petro or Figuerias were considered.

Also the Duke goalie Jameison

Off the top of my head;

Duke - Benn Johnston
UVA - Millon

Johnny Mullen.

Like it, SU clearly using the snubs as motivation.

“Obviously (the coaches) don’t feel like we’re that talented to clearly finish a clear second and only have three players,” Gait said Wednesday. “It shows that we’re either getting it done by teamwork, or that they just don’t respect our talent. Hopefully our guys have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about it and they’ll go out and prove themselves.”

Like it, SU clearly using the snubs as motivation.

“Obviously (the coaches) don’t feel like we’re that talented to clearly finish a clear second and only have three players,” Gait said Wednesday. “It shows that we’re either getting it done by teamwork, or that they just don’t respect our talent. Hopefully our guys have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about it and they’ll go out and prove themselves.”

Ya Gait was as feisty as he gets in that PC and usually he has little to no emotion. He was pissed, teams gonna be motivated as hell for Friday.

Ya Gait was as feisty as he gets in that PC and usually he has little to no emotion. He was pissed, teams gonna be motivated as hell for Friday.
I'm happy if it feeds their motivation. I think the team's depth is actually a strength this year and it is a young team which typically doesn't get as many votes. The Kavanaghs, Shellenberger, O'Neill, Dobson etc. are undeniably game changers and are all established stars for a few years. The fact that Cuse beat UVA in a shootout without Spallina getting a point says all you need to know about teamwork. You could argue that Spallina's biggest contribution is as a draw for recruiting other players in his class and after that class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom