2024 Bracketology / Selection Show | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Bracketology / Selection Show

Probable bottom line from Michigan thrashing PSU: No bubble. 4 ACC, 4 B1G, 2 Big East, 1 Ivy.
Maybe. As a UMd fan I'll still have my fingers crossed although it looks pretty good.
Of course, PSU's rpi dropped to #9 and they only have 1 top 10 rpi victory (UMd).

Maybe. As a UMd fan I'll still have my fingers crossed although it looks pretty good.
Of course, PSU's rpi dropped to #9 and they only have 1 top 10 rpi victory (UMd).
Unless the committee changes the way they look at this. If they do, who knows . . . .

How did they look at things 2 years ago?
I think historically the way they've looked at it is primarily RPI based with I think paying some lipservice to other factors. Their mid-season Top Ten, for example, I think was straight RPI. When I say if they change how they look at it I mean if they move away from primarily based on RPI. That's the unknown. We may get a clue of it this year in the way they evaluate seeding Hopkins and Syracuse. Hopkins is the clear RPI #3 and Syracuse the #4. But Syracuse has more top 5 wins and won head to head, although Hopkins has more Top 20 wins but has a bad loss (RPI greater than 20) and Syracuse does not. Do they evaluate all of that to put Syracuse as #3 seed or not? Two braketologists -- Patrick Stevens of USA Lacrosse Magazine and Terry Foy of Inside Lacrosse -- currently slot Syracuse as #3 and Hopkins as #4, while Mark M. Hart (Fieldystick) has the reverse. If they ever do modify their criteria I'd hope they would announce it at least a year in advance. Right now coache have to (or should) keep potential RPI in mind in developing their schedules.

Seems pretty straight forward. Biggest question is if Syracuse or Hopkins is the three seed. And of course where Towson and Patriot League winner are sent. Based on this I think there are more than a few underdogs I might pick outright (Michigan, Princeton, Penn State).

Let's hope for Patriot winner as I want no part of Towson in the first round. They are on a 9 game win streak and playing really well right now (and we're not).

I meant in the s
I was getting mixed up on that myself yesterday. It is a home game for the seeded team Syracuse in the first round. Towson would only get a home game if they made it to the quarterfinals.
I meant in the sense it's at Towson. Lots and lots of Tiger fans.

May 5 10AM Update

Whatever the order, Johns Hopkins and Syracuse will be the Nos. 3 and 4 seeds despite conference semifinal losses. Bank on Hopkins getting funneled into a quarterfinal at Towson, while the Orange is ticketed to a quarterfinal at Hofstra if it wins its NCAA opener. …

Hempstead, N.Y.
(1) Notre Dame vs. METRO ATLANTIC/Sacred Heart-AMERICA EAST/Albany
(8) Penn State vs. BIG EAST/Georgetown

Towson, Md.
(5) Virginia vs. ATLANTIC 10/Saint Joseph’s
(4) Johns Hopkins vs. CAA/Towson

Hempstead, N.Y.
(3) Syracuse vs. PATRIOT/Lehigh
(6) Denver vs. BIG TEN/Michigan

Towson, Md.
(7) Maryland vs. IVY/Princeton
(2) Duke vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah

Last three included: Denver, Maryland, Penn State
First three on the outside: Penn, Cornell, Yale
Moving in: Michigan
Moving out: Penn
Conference call: ACC (4), Big Ten (4), Big East (2)

Debate ongoing on Twitter/X as to whether who should be in among Maryland, Penn St. and Cornell. Here's an argument for Cornell. But it ignores that head to head Penn St. beat Cornell by 11.

On the other hand --

@laxreference says:

"This is the worst-case scenario for Maryland: Penn/Lehigh/Utah/Duke all win today. Cornell's argument would be strongest if those 4 games played out that way."

"Maryland would be hoping the committee leans on straight RPI, where they'd be 8th and Cornell would be 11th."

The trouble with Penn winning for Cornell, is that Cornell didn't beat Penn. Thus Cornell will only have only 1 top 10 victory.

Cornell's real shot is if Princeton wins, giving them 2 top ten wins, with 1 being top 5. PSU only has 1 top 10 victory (#7 UMd). PSU would have 2 extra 11-20 victories over Cornell, but a top 5 victory often seems to be worth more than 2 11-20 victories. Further, PSU has a bad loss to Colgate, which could discount one of those 11-20 victories - so Cornell might have a better quality win factor than PSU. PSU does have the head-to-head over Cornell, but that doesn't usually count for much.

Virginia is an interesting team to look at. #5 RPI and #1 SOS, but they only have one top ten RPI win (UMd). Their 3 RPI wins in the 11-20 are not at the top of the groupranking #14 Michigan, #16 Towson and #20 Harvard, although Michigan and Towson have won their conferences.

Virginia seems like the epitome of a team getting in for its "good" losses.

May 5 10AM Update

Whatever the order, Johns Hopkins and Syracuse will be the Nos. 3 and 4 seeds despite conference semifinal losses. Bank on Hopkins getting funneled into a quarterfinal at Towson, while the Orange is ticketed to a quarterfinal at Hofstra if it wins its NCAA opener. …

Hempstead, N.Y.
(1) Notre Dame vs. METRO ATLANTIC/Sacred Heart-AMERICA EAST/Albany
(8) Penn State vs. BIG EAST/Georgetown

Towson, Md.
(5) Virginia vs. ATLANTIC 10/Saint Joseph’s
(4) Johns Hopkins vs. CAA/Towson

Hempstead, N.Y.
(3) Syracuse vs. PATRIOT/Lehigh
(6) Denver vs. BIG TEN/Michigan

Towson, Md.
(7) Maryland vs. IVY/Princeton
(2) Duke vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah

Last three included: Denver, Maryland, Penn State
First three on the outside: Penn, Cornell, Yale
Moving in: Michigan
Moving out: Penn
Conference call: ACC (4), Big Ten (4), Big East (2)
Tough to get a better draw than that.

And now we wait. Be nice get that third seed over hopkins not sure how gonna play out. But either way orange better be prepared and come with intensity from here on out as it’s win or go home.

6638032a1316b.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom