2024 NCAA Championship Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2024 NCAA Championship Thread

Wonder how Iowa’s coach would do with higher level talent? I‘ve been impressed with the job she did with the talent she had.
Having watched a lot of Iowa over the years, I'm much higher on her than I used to be, and it's not just the Caitlin effect.

I've always respected her as a person. She really runs the program in a way that fans can be proud of. But on the court, she's always been an excellent offensive coach, but their defense used to be just horrible. My dad and I used to joke that she and Fran McCaffery were meeting to exchange defensive strategy because they were both just awful. But the last two seasons has shown remarkable improvement. I'm not sure what changed, but it's night and day difference.

She got to the Elite 8 with Megan Gustafson a few years ago and now with the success with Caitlin, she has shown if she can get the elite players, she can do something with them. Even before Caitlin, Iowa has had very good fan support. Not sold out every game, but they are always up there in women's attendance. So it seems like now that people have seen the support Iowa will give the women's program, it might attract some of the better recruits. They've already signed the #12 player in the 2025 class all the way from California.

Having watched a lot of Iowa over the years, I'm much higher on her than I used to be, and it's not just the Caitlin effect.

I've always respected her as a person. She really runs the program in a way that fans can be proud of. But on the court, she's always been an excellent offensive coach, but their defense used to be just horrible. My dad and I used to joke that she and Fran McCaffery were meeting to exchange defensive strategy because they were both just awful. But the last two seasons has shown remarkable improvement. I'm not sure what changed, but it's night and day difference.

She got to the Elite 8 with Megan Gustafson a few years ago and now with the success with Caitlin, she has shown if she can get the elite players, she can do something with them. Even before Caitlin, Iowa has had very good fan support. Not sold out every game, but they are always up there in women's attendance. So it seems like now that people have seen the support Iowa will give the women's program, it might attract some of the better recruits. They've already signed the #12 player in the 2025 class all the way from California.
I like Bluder too. Well respected in the area. I also like the assistant coaches too (specifically Jen Jensen). The coaches have done a good job with teams that aren’t necessarily high recruits. As you indicated that may be changing. Getting a recruit out of Cali was unheard of before, let alone a 5 star. Addie Deal could have went almost anywhere she wanted to. Choosing Iowa says a lot. Not sure if that is because of Bluder, the Caitlin effect, or a combination of both.

I like Bluder too. Well respected in the area. I also like the assistant coaches too (specifically Jen Jensen). The coaches have done a good job with teams that aren’t necessarily high recruits. As you indicated that may be changing. Getting a recruit out of Cali was unheard of before, let alone a 5 star. Addie Deal could have went almost anywhere she wanted to. Choosing Iowa says a lot. Not sure if that is because of Bluder, the Caitlin effect, or a combination of both.
Agree totally about Jensen. She's a great assistant and has done an amazing job developing Monika, Megan and Hannah among others over the years.

1000002993.jpg

I read this in the comments on a YouTube video about CC and it made me howl. Hope y'all get a kick out of it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom