2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

“Throwing a baseball in my underwear is weird enough,” said Dominic Hamel, “and now you’ve got all these sensors on me.”

bulldurham-nuke1.jpg

This has been an interesting spring training so far for the Mets.

They started off with a loss.

Then won 4 in a row..

Then lost 4 in a row.

And now have won 4 in a row again.

Severino, Megill, and Butto have been outstanding.

Manaea and Quintana have been pretty good (Manaea had a really good start today).

Houser has been bad.

Kranick got hurt almost immediately and is out of contention for a spot in the starting rotation for now.

Diaz still hasn’t pitched in a real game but is said to be throwing well. Hartwig has looked old all spring. Raley, Fujinami and Smith have been good in limited appearances. Diekman has struggled some. So far, I have not been impressed.

Reid-Foley, Lavender, Yacksel Rios, Yohan Ramirez have all been really impressive. Don’’t think any of them (maybe Reid-Foley) were expected to be on the roster opening day but they are pitching so well they are making the late cuts tough ones.

Alvarez is hitting and throwing like an all star. Trayce Thompson is making a strong bid to make the team as a fourth outfielder (sounds unlikely though). Pete is doing Pete things and playing well early.

Baty and Vientos are both struggling some but seem to get getting better as spring progresses. Lindor got off to a slow start but appears to be coming on (had an HR today). Tyrone Taylor has done well early as a backup outfielder. Ji Man Choi has been good as the backup first baseman.

Jeff McNeil hasn’t played. Has a sore bicep. Expected to start playing soon. Jose Iglesias has done well backing him up. Starling Marte has struggling so far. Nimmo is playing like Nimmo which is good. Bader hasn’t played much but so far looks as advertised. Great fielder who struggles to hit well.

Bickford and Parsons look really bad and I am not sure I even want them pitching for Syracuse.

I will feel better about things if/when McNeil and Diaz start playing in games and playing well in games. But overall, the team is looking quite impressive so far. These exhibitions don’t mean a lot but all things being equal, I would rather win a bunch of games in spring training and look good than get rocked repeatedly. So far, so good.

Last edited:
This has been an interesting spring training so far for the Mets.

They started off with a loss.

Then won 4 in a row..

Then lost 4 in a row.

And now have won 4 in a row again.

Severino, Megill, and Butto have been outstanding.

Manaea and Quintana have been pretty good (Manaea had a really good start today).

Houser has been bad.

Kranick got hurt almost immediately and is out of contention for a spot in the starting rotation for now.

Diaz still hasn’t pitched in a real game but is said to be throwing well. Hartwig has looked old all spring. Raley, Fujinami and Smith have been good in limited appearances. Diekman has struggled some. So far, I have not been impressed.

Reid-Foley, Lavender, Yacksel Rios, Yohan Ramirez have all been really impressive. Don’’t think any of them (maybe Reid-Foley) were expected to be on the roster opening day but they are pitching so well they are making the late cuts tough ones.

Alvarez is hitting and throwing like an all star. Trayce Thompson is making a strong bid to make the team as a fourth outfielder (sounds unlikely though). Pete is doing Pete things and playing well early.

Baty and Vientos are both struggling some but seem to get getting better as spring progresses. Lindor got off to a slow start but appears to be coming on (had an HR today). Tyrone Taylor has done well early as a backup outfielder. Ji Man Choi has been good as the backup first baseman.

Jeff McNeil hasn’t played. Has a sore bicep. Expected to start playing soon. Jose Iglesias has done well backing him up. Starling Marte has struggling so far. Nimmo is playing like Nimmo which is good. Bader hasn’t played much but so far looks as advertised. Great fielder who struggles to hit well.

Bickford and Parsons look really bad and I am not sure I even want them pitching for Syracuse.

I will feel better about things if/when McNeil and Diaz start playing in games and playing well in games. But overall, the team is looking quite impressive so far. These exhibitions don’t mean a lot but all things being equal, I would rather win a bunch of games in spring training and look good then get rocked repeatedly. So far, so good.

You want to look good and then get rocked repeatedly?

It's a very good defensive outfield, especially if you put Taylor in for Marte in the late innings.
True. Hopefully Bader can hit and he can stay healthy. Nimmo might be able to help him some with that.

Marte is a huge wildcard. If he gets back to where he was before he got hurt, or even close to it, the outfield goes from a weakness to a strength.

Harrison has streaks where he is really impressive with the bat. He is capable of hitting .250 with 20 HRs and 30 SBs if he can put it all together and avoid injury.

I am not a DJ Stewart fan and hope he gets replaced by Drew Gilbert by the second half of the season. He can't field at all and isn't much of a hitter either. Gilbert is the future. I think we will enjoy seeing him play in Syracuse.

"Mets’ Yohan Ramirez set to ‘reinvent career’ under Pedro and Ramon Martinez"

The Mets are currently 10-9 in spring training games. 5th in the grapefruit standings. Not sure if there is any meaning to win/loss record in these games but I think overall it has been a good spring, other than the Senga injury.

The pitching, especially the starting pitching, has been very good. Severino has looked excellent. Quintana got off to a shaky start but got steadily better as the spring progressed. Houser has been decent and looks like the weak link in the rotation right now. Manaea has also been up and down so far. Hope his hair cut brings good mojo. Luchessi had a chance to win a spot in the rotation but got off to a late start and pitched poorly. He has already been sent out. Kranick was said to have a chance to win a spot in the rotation but got hurt right away and is going to be out a while. Megill replaced Senga and has been terrific. Butto has also been very impressive and appears to be the next man up. Vasil and Hamel have looked promising so far. Overall things are looking good with starting pitching especially given Senga has been out.

Relief pitching is also looking better than expected. Great to have Diaz back and he has looked like his old self in the one in I g he has thrown to date. I think Raley and Ottovino are pretty reliable. Smith has been working in the Mets new pitching lab and appears to have improved, as many of the Mets pitchers. That might be a big long term impact on this team. Megill has a new breaking pitch that is getting a lot of buzz and might take him to the next level.

Sounds like Lopez and Diekman are considered locks to make the roster. Neither has looked great in spring training. Worried about both.

The other two spots are expected to go to Tonkin, a long reliever type in the mold of Trevor Williams, and Sean Reid-Foley, who has looked great in spring training. Might have benefited from working in the lab.

Fujinami has not looked good and will start the season in Syracuse. Bickford has looked bad and I think is going to get released. Rohan Ramirez has looked good but I think also ends up getting released. Wish they could find a way to keep him.

Mets president teases future big moves after underwhelming offseason​

How should the Mets construct their batting order?​

"The difference between the best lineup you can make and the worst one you can make is about three or four wins per season. And while you may roll your eyes several times a year at 3 p.m. tweets of the lineup, no major-league manager comes anywhere near the worst lineup you can make. So the actual difference between an optimal lineup and an average one might be a half-win to a full-win per year."

Anyone want to bat Pete #9 and put the pitcher in the clean-up spot? Would it make any difference.

Well, the Mets did it. They signed JD Martinez.

This probably means Mark Vientos ends up playing in Syracuse this season. It also means Pete Alonso has a quality hitter behind him for the first time in a long time. Maybe ever.

It will be interesting to see what his impact will be. My guess is that this will energize the Met fanbase quite a bit.

This probably means Mark Vientos ends up playing in Syracuse this season. It also means Pete Alonso has a quality hitter behind him for the first time in a long time. Maybe ever.

It will be interesting to see what his impact will be. My guess is that this will energize the Met fanbase quite a bit.

I'll take his per 162:

That is a nice pickup. I assume they have no intention of playing him in the field. A career 132 wRC+ is fantastic. I’m not sure why FanGraphs’ projection is so modest at 107. I would take the over if he is healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom