2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

When will college teams have scouting departments to follow other teams' players so they are ready to jump right when players portal?

Maybe someone is already assigned individual player scouting on the staff?

I hope Red is involved here.
Both of these teams are still playing and are already involved with one of the top center transfers out there. Red needs to turn around the program fast and aim HIGH with his aspirations. No excuses about Duke and Carolina dominating the conference. We should be competing for titles in the ACC every year.

Both of these teams are still playing and are already involved with one of the top center transfers out there. Red needs to turn around the program fast and aim HIGH with his aspirations. No excuses about Duke and Carolina dominating the conference. We should be competing for titles in the ACC every year.
I hope hes working "stealth mode" as some posters say and not just waiting and waiting

I hope hes working "stealth mode" as some posters say and not just waiting and waiting
The "stealth mode" thing is just not true. No team comes out saying who they are targeting. What is clear right now is that we haven't been reaching out to that many guys. When these media outlets contact the players to see who they've heard from they aren't purposely leaving us out. Every player we added from the portal last year we were seen on the list of who they have heard from aside from maybe Cuffe but I don't think anyone even put out a list for him.

To me that could mean a few things. It could mean we have some guys in mind that aren't in the portal yet that they believe will be in the portal later. I think it also means that when you do see a list that we are included on we are serious about adding the player. When you see a team like Arkansas reach out to every single player in the portal, its literally just a grad assistant texting them because they averaged a certain amount of points or rebounds etc. Thats clearly not the approach we are taking.

To me its seems were being patient and deliberate.

The NCAA and colleges/universities have brought this on themselves because the revenue was sooooooo good and they didn't have to share. Zero sympathies. Since the 30s at least, they've been artificially maintaining semi-professional sports leagues with legally dubious rules and various levels of CalvinBall keeping players as more or less indentured servants because people are afraid of what might happen to the administration of universities where the mission statement is should be: educate kids.

Separate the revenue sports from the universities.
I agree fully with your main paragraph, and especially love the Calvinball reference.

:chef's kiss:

Because of that though I just don't see the institutions divesting from the revenue sports.
Is it any more "wrong" than fans essentially paying the players through these collectives?
Yes. It's wronger.

The "stealth mode" thing is just not true. No team comes out saying who they are targeting. What is clear right now is that we haven't been reaching out to that many guys. When these media outlets contact the players to see who they've heard from they aren't purposely leaving us out. Every player we added from the portal last year we were seen on the list of who they have heard from aside from maybe Cuffe but I don't think anyone even put out a list for him.

To me that could mean a few things. It could mean we have some guys in mind that aren't in the portal yet that they believe will be in the portal later. I think it also means that when you do see a list that we are included on we are serious about adding the player. When you see a team like Arkansas reach out to every single player in the portal, its literally just a grad assistant texting them because they averaged a certain amount of points or rebounds etc. Thats clearly not the approach we are taking.

To me its seems were being patient and deliberate.
I do wonder if Estrella is the play. Red was his recruiter. The guys in front of him still have eligibility at Tennessee.

Last edited: