2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

Gayle is certainly not a PG but he's a good guard
Unless Red thinks Westry can play the point, there’s no place for Gayle. Currently, there’s no point guard or backup point guard on the roster. One sprained ankle away from being a disaster.

Unless Red thinks Westry can play the point, there’s no place for Gayle. Currently, there’s no point guard or backup point guard on the roster. One sprained ankle away from being a disaster.
I suspect there is a good likelihood that Westry indeed is starting PG, at least nominally.

And to think the first game is probably in less than 7 months

I like the idea of Gayle, but I don’t see it :

PG - TBD
SG - JJ
SF - Bell
PF - Freeeman
C - Lampkin

Unless he’s willing to come off the bench, I don’t see how he fits. I bet Westry is the first guard off the bench and Cuffe is the second.

It’s really too bad neither Gayle/JJ can play the PG

I like this kid. I’m surprised we never got involved.
Kid's asking price is very high. Wasn't in our budget.
I think Amari was one of the best big men available. It’s crazy that we didn’t have enough NIL to compete with St John’s, Indiana, Creighton or Florida. I would expect we could compete with most of these four when it comes to NIL. SJU is a tiny private school with a small alumni base. Creighton is pretty small too, certainly smaller than Syracuse. It’s not like he’s down to Kentucky, UNC and Kansas. Is it true that most of our NIL is focused on football?

Last edited:
I think he was one of the best big men available. It’s crazy that we didn’t have enough NIL to compete with St John’s, Indiana, Creighton or Florida. I would expect we could compete with most of these four when it comes to NIL. SJU is a tiny private school with a small alumni base. Creighton is pretty small too, certainly smaller than Syracuse. It’s not like he’s down to Kentucky, UNC and Kansas.
If we assessed the asking price as too high that doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't compete on NIL.

If we assessed the asking price as too high that doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't compete on NIL.
Yeah multiple factors here, whatever our NIL is, it doesn't sound like it's unlimited. So they have to manage the budget and decide where to spend it. Presumably a large amount is earmarked for a PG and Freeman.

I think Amari was one of the best big men available. It’s crazy that we didn’t have enough NIL to compete with St John’s, Indiana, Creighton or Florida. I would expect we could compete with most of these four when it comes to NIL. SJU is a tiny private school with a small alumni base. Creighton is pretty small too, certainly smaller than Syracuse. It’s not like he’s down to Kentucky, UNC and Kansas. Is it truly that most of our NIL is focused on football?
St. John’s and Creighton can use all their NIL money towards basketball. They don’t have to deal with football.

I think some people here would be really surprised by what a school like marquette has at its disposal in both operating cost and nil funding.