2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

your kidding right? Kids are pushed out of programs all the time. The biggest joke is scholarships are 4 years. If you are not cutting it, you will be forced out one way or another. The team always finds a way. Coaches and schools have been doing it for years.

Don’t know the exact quote, but Fran Brown literally alluded to it last week. After spring practice their will be some tough conversations and their will be transfers.

You know how many kids enter the transfer portal to never play again?
I couldn't agree more. I don't have any problem with this at all. Do I miss having guys for years and getting to know them? Yeah. And hating guys on other teams. But we will get used to this. And you can get good in a hurry as well.

Yes. the difference is that the school had all of the power. Now the players do. You find that bad? I don't.
Employers in NYS, being an “at will” employment state like many others, can be let go without reason if they don’t have a contract or as long as it isn’t retaliatory or discriminatory. Are these players, employees or considered to have a contract? Seems to be a unique middle ground - not really employees nor contract employees, Just wondering legally if players can leave at will, legally how does that effect universities rights? Just wondering, of course I don’t have a clue. Most regular employees are working for corporations etc that have all the power too, unless in a union with a contract,

Here is how i approach the offseason/portal

When its over tell me who we have at the end of it all and i will root for whatever we have left.

To get all worked up on who is leaving, who is staying, who we are getting is silly. Its never gonna be how it was in the glory days and im getting too old to lose sleep over this crap.

Here is how i approach the offseason/portal

When its over tell me who we have at the end of it all and i will root for whatever we have left.

To get all worked up on who is leaving, who is staying, who we are getting is silly. Its never gonna be how it was in the glory days and im getting too old to lose sleep over this crap.

The sooner we all consider it the Collegiate Basketball Association with free agency March till May the better

Employers in NYS, being an “at will” employment state like many others, can be let go without reason if they don’t have a contract or as long as it isn’t retaliatory or discriminatory. Are these players, employees or considered to have a contract? Seems to be a unique middle ground - not really employees nor contract employees, Just wondering legally if players can leave at will, legally how does that effect universities rights? Just wondering, of course I don’t have a clue. Most regular employees are working for corporations etc that have all the power too, unless in a union with a contract,
Yeah. And employees can leave a job when they want to. Seems pretty even to me. That wasn't what college athletes had. They had to sit a year. And as we saw with Gus Edwards, the school could even block what school the athlete transferred to.

M
Not downplaying anyone in that list but that account is the equivalent of my 10 year old cousin talking about draft hoops. It’s no different than that “pistons hoops talk” or whatever his name was that was obsessed with Judah and talking about “oh Judah mintz could be a sneaky top 10 pick in the 2024 class” or whatever nonsense lil dude was saying.

And the sad part is, at what length are some of these guys defined as students? I know its not all but Im struggling to find the difference between a college athlete and a professional one.

And the sad part is, at what length are some of these guys defined as students? I know its not all but Im struggling to find the difference between a college athlete and a professional one.

You see any professional athletes who are required to attend a certain minimum amount of college classes?

There's the difference.

Note: This does not apply to UNCheat student-athletes.

You see any professional athletes who are required to attend a certain minimum amount of college classes?

There's the difference.

Note: This does not apply to UNCheat student-athletes.
Required is a very loose term.

High profile kids will care less and less about what colors they wear as long as the color green is involved.
I would too. Do you know what a 100K does for you at age 18? Just putting 10k of that in the bank or using it to buy a house equates to millions down the road.

I think we have one of the better fanbases but let’s be real too. We had people boo our own guy that lost his shot this year. Same people boo’ing are the ones complaining when their favorite player takes the big bag.

I would too. Do you know what a 100K does for you at age 18? Just putting 10k of that in the bank or using it to buy a house equates to millions down the road.

I think we have one of the better fanbases but let’s be real too. We had people boo our own guy that lost his shot this year. Same people boo’ing are the ones complaining when their favorite player takes the big bag.
To be clear, I don’t blame them for taking the money as I would do the same as I’ve posted before. With that said, fwiw I just think the current system sucks and is making the sport way less enjoyable for fans. But yeah I absolutely would chase the money and if a kid invests it will be an insanely good head start compared to kids graduating with nothing but debt.

Team sports have at their core a factor of roster construction. When a high schooler commits to a program, it’s after the school has invested time, effort, and money into that recruitment. The school awards a scholarship worth considerable money. I don’t see how it’s unfair to expect that commitment to be worth more than one year. The player agrees to conduct that fits within a set of rules from the larger organization. That’s the deal. To say that employees at some random company can just quit and move and get another job elsewhere ignores the virtual monopoly that college sports has. College sports is one company, essentially.

There’s a reason why pro leagues have contracts. Because teams rely on roster construction toward achieving success. College sports is now pro sports with perpetual free agency. I don’t see how that’s sustainable, yet we don’t now have an organization to govern it.

Colleges now have to ‘recruit’ 2-3x more, because the portal facilitates/insigates yearly chaos. People often cite that coaches can move without penalty, and while that’s true, it’s also significantly less frequent, and doesn’t alter the fact that a student athlete can still play/train/educate themself at that school under that same scholarship compensation. You may be recruited by a person, or staff of persons, but you commit to a school. That said, I’ve always been fully on board with a transfer waiver when a coach leaves—a significant part of the deal is that relationship.

I’m surprised at some of the NIL conversations, about how the athletes deserve this money. Originally, the assertion was that the deserved pay because there was so much money in the sport that they were responsible for generating. But, this NIL money isn’t coming from program revenues. If they ‘deserve’ it now, it’s simply market-based.