2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

Team sports have at their core a factor of roster construction. When a high schooler commits to a program, it’s after the school has invested time, effort, and money into that recruitment. The school awards a scholarship worth considerable money. I don’t see how it’s unfair to expect that commitment to be worth more than one year. The player agrees to conduct that fits within a set of rules from the larger organization. That’s the deal. To say that employees at some random company can just quit and move and get another job elsewhere ignores the virtual monopoly that college sports has. College sports is one company, essentially.

There’s a reason why pro leagues have contracts. Because teams rely on roster construction toward achieving success. College sports is now pro sports with perpetual free agency. I don’t see how that’s sustainable, yet we don’t now have an organization to govern it.

Colleges now have to ‘recruit’ 2-3x more, because the portal facilitates/insigates yearly chaos. People often cite that coaches can move without penalty, and while that’s true, it’s also significantly less frequent, and doesn’t alter the fact that a student athlete can still play/train/educate themself at that school under that same scholarship compensation. You may be recruited by a person, or staff of persons, but you commit to a school. That said, I’ve always been fully on board with a transfer waiver when a coach leaves—a significant part of the deal is that relationship.

I’m surprised at some of the NIL conversations, about how the athletes deserve this money. Originally, the assertion was that the deserved pay because there was so much money in the sport that they were responsible for generating. But, this NIL money isn’t coming from program revenues. If they ‘deserve’ it now, it’s simply market-based.

What is your solution to fix this?
Also remember the decisions by the Supreme Court and the fact that they aren’t employees and there’s no union.

And the sad part is, at what length are some of these guys defined as students? I know its not all but Im struggling to find the difference between a college athlete and a professional one.
Obviously they are no longer amateurs.
I describe college as semi pro or pro-am.

I would too. Do you know what a 100K does for you at age 18? Just putting 10k of that in the bank or using it to buy a house equates to millions down the road.

I think we have one of the better fanbases but let’s be real too. We had people boo our own guy that lost his shot this year. Same people boo’ing are the ones complaining when their favorite player takes the big bag.
I think those were students who were booing but I get your point

they should sign contracts, and be compensated by the school as employees instead of Byzantine network of donor-led collectives funneling money for shoe and betting companies
Don't disagree. Whats your plan to get the schools to agree to this?

they should sign contracts, and be compensated by the school as employees instead of Byzantine network of donor-led collectives funneling money for shoe and betting companies

And that is the death of all college athletics.

So, no.
They should NOT do that.

What is your solution to fix this?
Also remember the decisions by the Supreme Court and the fact that they aren’t employees and there’s no union.
I never claimed to have all the answers. Or any of them. I just have a souring, ‘traditionalist’ perspective on things.

Too late now, but i used to say the NCAA should give players a stipend, maybe based on revenue (sharing). A centralized, public payment, ostensibly so it would be less corruptible (not from schools, boosters, etc.). To confess fully, I still think “collegiate” athletics should be entirely collegiate. Meaning that college is still the preparatory stage before professionalism, just like with actual students. The problem with that old ideal is that it was corrupted. I wish there were better ways to enforce that, not just to give up and make it Pro-Lite.

Now: I think if you accept a scholarship offer, you are committed to that program, but can transfer once, after two years, or after a coaching departure. If you want free agency, you have to earn it, like in pro leagues.

Essentially, I think the new rules benefit players at the cost of eroding fan interest and loyalty. We are very quickly at the point where players don’t belong to or in the schools. Rent-a-Guard doesn’t build fandom. I’m kinda equating this to Napster and the destruction of the music industry…. Yeah, we still have music, but it sucks.

Seems like Houston has found Jamal Shead's replacement. Should be a decent back court next year since Cryer decided to come back.

Yes. the difference is that the school had all of the power. Now the players do. You find that bad? I don't.
its hurting the level of play. big time.

if the level of play was good, I wouldnt mind...but these guys take 5 months to learn how to defend a pick and roll togther now...and this year's team didnt even really ever learn how to play together at all.

thats because fo the portal and nil

its hurting the level of play. big time.

if the level of play was good, I wouldnt mind...but these guys take 5 months to learn how to defend a pick and roll togther now...and this year's team didnt even really ever learn how to play together at all.

thats because fo the portal and nil
Yeah, and more kids are staying in school rather than go to the G-league or Europe because they are getting nil. That is helping the skill level of teams. Look at the older kids that are staying in school rather than move on.

Yeah, and more kids are staying in school rather than go to the G-league or Europe because they are getting nil. That is helping the skill level of teams. Look at the older kids that are staying in school rather than move on.
now with the g-leauge path dying and this unique cycle of covid players playing longer, it is benefitting level of play...

so there are some beneifts to level of play with NIL...

on the balanace, though, it is definitely a net negative...especially for coaches that struggle to get their players on the same page quickly...as was the case with the cuse in red's first year/...a team that never gelled

continuity within a given program will almost always be worse now in this era...which MUST have negative consequences in general.

normalized extreme roster flux will always be a negative for level of play across the sport, imo

We all hate Grown but let's be real, Cuse-GT has stunk recently and it's imperative both programs get better to make this game more relevant nationally.
I hear they r getting the best point guard in the portal :)

now with the g-leauge path dying and this unique cycle of covid players playing longer, it is benefitting level of play...

on the balanace, though, it is definitely a net negative...especially for coaches that struggle to get their players on the same page quickly...as was the case with the cuse in red's first year/...a team that never gelled

continuity within a given program will almost always be worse now in this era...which MUST have negative consequences in general.

normalized extreme roster flux will always be a negative for level of play across the sport, imo
I don't think that NIL any player movement had much to do with our play this season. We had Judah, Bell, Brown, Taylor, Copeland all back. JJ and Naheem were new but you get that with almost any team.

Last edited:
Now: I think if you accept a scholarship offer, you are committed to that program, but can transfer once, after two years, or after a coaching departure. If you want free agency, you have to earn it, like in pro leagues.
There have been court cases recently that overruled any sort of rules like this. That’s the point some miss on here. Purposals like these aren’t feasible

There have been court cases recently that overruled any sort of rules like this. That’s the point some miss on here. Purposals like these aren’t feasible

NCAA had decades to do something and didn’t.

Now we get the den of mayhem we have bc they didn’t do anything.

And the schools are the ncaa, they are all culpable in being avoidant on purpose.

Whether or not the portal and NIL are a positive or negative development for
college sports, the fundamental question remains how sustainable is the
concept going forward. To pick a number, let's say a top level program needs
$3M a year for each of it's basketball and football programs. For now that might
be doable, but like any investment if the investors aren't seeing the results of
their $$ there is going to be the inevitable disinterest with a system that isn't
producing results. Just that much more pressure on the coaching staffs to
produce.

Whether or not the portal and NIL are a positive or negative development for
college sports, the fundamental question remains how sustainable is the
concept going forward. To pick a number, let's say a top level program needs
$3M a year for each of it's basketball and football programs. For now that might
be doable, but like any investment if the investors aren't seeing the results of
their $$ there is going to be the inevitable disinterest with a system that isn't
producing results. Just that much more pressure on the coaching staffs to
produce.
And thats the big fear here. All the bemoaning of paying players, multiple transfers, NIL ruining the game, etc. is code for "we aren't going to be a player".