2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

Do you really think Red, who has been working up to this job his whole life, is doing this without a plan? He probably has 30 plans. Sometimes 20 yo males are unpredictable and he has to deal with a constantly changing landscape. I wish people would just let him do his thing without the constant negativity. If he fails, then we move on, but no one on this board wants success more than Red.
Whatever the plan is, we dont have a starting point guard.

Agreed but Carlos is also much less threat to finish inside in the ACC at 5 foot whatever.

So all these “they won’t sag” posts are ignoring they won’t switch on PNR like they did with Judah’s ability to finish and get fouled. I think folks are going to be disappointed if replacing (strictly on court) Judahs ability with someone who wasn’t even honorable mention All Colonial. Which is why we need another PG who has different skill set than Carlos so we have the ability to mix and match vs matchups
Good points. I have similar concerns with his ability to finish at the rim in the ACC. On the other hand, his skill set will create opportunities for others, especially if teams opt not to switch on PNR.

I agree though, Red needs to add another versatile shooter/playmaker who can defend the 1-3. Reynolds would have been "perfect."

Good points. I have similar concerns with his ability to finish at the rim in the ACC. On the other hand, his skill set will create opportunities for others, especially if teams opt not to switch on PNR.

I agree though, Red needs to add another versatile shooter/playmaker who can defend the 1-3. Reynolds would have been "perfect."

Well most importantly, unlike Judah, he’ll actually pass.

Agreed but Carlos is also much less threat to finish inside in the ACC at 5 foot whatever.

So all these “they won’t sag” posts are ignoring they won’t switch on PNR like they did with Judah’s ability to finish and get fouled. I think folks are going to be disappointed if replacing (strictly on court) Judahs ability with someone who wasn’t even honorable mention All Colonial. Which is why we need another PG who has different skill set than Carlos so we have the ability to mix and match vs matchups
Agree and that's why I was disappointed not to get Dakota. I thought he and Carlos had differing skill sets that would complement each other.

It would’ve been really cool to get a dead eye shooter with deep range but it seems Red doesn’t like those types of players. He seems to prefer guards that can’t shoot.
We should prolly let him get more than one recruiting class under his belt before we engrave his tendencies in stone.

We should prolly let him get more than one recruiting class under his belt before we engrave his tendencies in stone.
He’s brought in several guards, none of which have classified as strong shooters. Moore is a step in the right direction but he committed during JB’s era so I give Red only partial credit. I really want to see him bring in a shooter. No point in running a 3 guard offense if none of the guards are consistent deep threats. Need to be able to stretch the defense on the perimeter.

He’s brought in several guards, none of which have classified as strong shooters. Moore is a step in the right direction but he committed during JB’s era so I give Red only partial credit. I really want to see him bring in a shooter. No point in running a 3 guard offense if none of the guards are consistent deep threats. Need to be able to stretch the defense on the perimeter.
Maybe we’re talking about different things. Red has been HC for just one year. He brought in Carlos, and we don’t know how he will perform as a shooter yet. Anyone else has been with JB making the ultimate calls, no? We’ve been seeing posts recently about how JB vetoed various recruits over the years, so I’m suggesting we haven’t seen enough of the recruiting resume of Red yet, to make conclusions about what he prefers. I also think it’s ludicrous to suggest he literally prefers non-shooters, but I chalked that up to sardonic sports banter. : )

Maybe we’re talking about different things. Red has been HC for just one year. He brought in Carlos, and we don’t know how he will perform as a shooter yet. Anyone else has been with JB making the ultimate calls, no? We’ve been seeing posts recently about how JB vetoed various recruits over the years, so I’m suggesting we haven’t seen enough of the recruiting resume of Red yet, to make conclusions about what he prefers. I also think it’s ludicrous to suggest he literally prefers non-shooters, but I chalked that up to sardonic sports banter. : )
The current roster is 95% Red. That’s a big enough sample. JJ isn’t a great shooter. Neither is Cuffe. Westry was not known as a shooter. Carlos is an average shooter. Q and JT weren’t good shooters. Neither was Judah. Currently Bell and possibly Moore are the only deep threats we have on the team. There’s hope Freeman can shoot, but it’s a bit of an unknown. I want a Buddy, Rautins, GMac, Shumpert even Joe type guy on the team.

The current roster is 95% Red. That’s a big enough sample. JJ isn’t a great shooter. Neither is Cuffe. Westry was not known as a shooter. Carlos is an average shooter. Q and JT weren’t good shooters. Neither was Judah. Currently Bell and possibly Moore are the only deep threats we have on the team. There’s hope Freeman can shoot, but it’s a bit of an unknown. I want a Buddy, Rautins, GMac, Shumpert even Joe type guy on the team.
We don’t disagree about what we want. I’m just surprised you seem to be insisting that Autry had complete control over who was recruited/signed when he was an assistant. I include JJ in that category.

Either way—I think JJ is/will be a better shooter than he showed in his first year and a half with us. He turned a corner during this past season and I expect that funky release will be fixed even more in this offseason. I have high hopes and expectations for Choppa. I think he’s a natural shooter. I think Freeman is going to be a better shooter than Benny was. And Wesley is a playmaker—I’m not concerned with where he scores from. Bell will be Bell. I think if he improves it will be counteracted by increased attention, but maybe he’ll be more consistent?

I’m expecting that Red will have to install a better, more flow-oriented system, less iso-dependent, and the offense will benefit from the motion. That’s why I’m beginning to be less concerned about having a high assist guy at PG, and more interested in just improving the assist numbers from every player, to result in higher totals, spreading the duties around. Just glad to be done with Judah’s offense.

We don’t disagree about what we want. I’m just surprised you seem to be insisting that Autry had complete control over who was recruited/signed when he was an assistant. I include JJ in that category.

Either way—I think JJ is/will be a better shooter than he showed in his first year and a half with us. He turned a corner during this past season and I expect that funky release will be fixed even more in this offseason. I have high hopes and expectations for Choppa. I think he’s a natural shooter. I think Freeman is going to be a better shooter than Benny was. And Wesley is a playmaker—I’m not concerned with where he scores from. Bell will be Bell. I think if he improves it will be counteracted by increased attention, but maybe he’ll be more consistent?

I’m expecting that Red will have to install a better, more flow-oriented system, less iso-dependent, and the offense will benefit from the motion. That’s why I’m beginning to be less concerned about having a high assist guy at PG, and more interested in just improving the assist numbers from every player, to result in higher totals, spreading the duties around. Just glad to be done with Judah’s offense.
It was hard to tell who the point guard was for UCONN because the ball was always moving.