2024 Preseason Polls (Media #9 / Coaches #12 / USALAX #9) | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Polls (Media #9 / Coaches #12 / USALAX #9)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
1. Notre Dame
2. Duke
3. Virginia
4. Penn State
5. Maryland
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Cornell
8. Army
9. Syracuse
10. Yale
11. Denver
12. Georgetown
13. Michigan
14. Princeton
15. Rutgers
16. Delaware
17. Penn
18. Boston U
19. North Carolina
20. Richmond

Also considered (alphabetical order): Loyola, Marquette, Utah

Think that is a fair ranking to start the season… the more we win the more we climb

I think its about fair for the Orange. They picked up a lot but still didn't make the tournament last season, so I can see some trepidation in ranking them too high. Prove it hours for the Orange.

I think Cornell is ranked way too high at seven. I would put Army and Syracuse above them, and Michigan as well. Michigan at 13 is crazy to me. The loss of Zawada is big but they bring back a ton and bring in some very good transfers. Georgetown seems impossibly high, I think they are a borderline top 20 team, no way they should be 12th.

Also I know it's usually tradition to have the defending champ as preseason number one, but after all the post-season player movement, I think I'd have Duke and UVA above the Irish. Doesn't really seem like they replaced Tevlin or Fake. They should still be definite top three but I think the Blue Devils and Cavs separated themselves a bit with their additions.

I'd have the Big 10 teams as Maryland, Hopkins then Penn State. I think Maryland is a bit slept on, they get Malever and McAnaney back which should be big for them. Hopkins filled their only huge question mark with a new goalie (though face-offs might be an issue for them). Penn State should be very good but they did not shore up their face-off unit and remains to be seen if their leading defender will be back and healthy.

I know UNC has a lot of talent but not sure what they have done to be ranked in the top 20. Lot of brand recognition going on with this poll.

I would put Duke above ND, but not UVa. UVa lost quite a lot.

It does look like ND has lost some other stuff. Their 5th leading scorer Jack Simmons (28pts) and 6th leading scorer Quinn McCahon (21 points) are gone. LSM Chris Conlin and D Jose Boyer are also missing from the roster. That would be a pretty major loss on the defensive end with Fake and Tevlin.

Last edited:
I think its about fair for the Orange. They picked up a lot but still didn't make the tournament last season, so I can see some trepidation in ranking them too high. Prove it hours for the Orange.

I think Cornell is ranked way too high at seven. I would put Army and Syracuse above them, and Michigan as well. Michigan at 13 is crazy to me. The loss of Zawada is big but they bring back a ton and bring in some very good transfers. Georgetown seems impossibly high, I think they are a borderline top 20 team, no way they should be 12th.

Also I know it's usually tradition to have the defending champ as preseason number one, but after all the post-season player movement, I think I'd have Duke and UVA above the Irish. Doesn't really seem like they replaced Tevlin or Fake. They should still be definite top three but I think the Blue Devils and Cavs separated themselves a bit with their additions.

I'd have the Big 10 teams as Maryland, Hopkins then Penn State. I think Maryland is a bit slept on, they get Malever and McAnaney back which should be big for them. Hopkins filled their only huge question mark with a new goalie (though face-offs might be an issue for them). Penn State should be very good but they did not shore up their face-off unit and remains to be seen if their leading defender will be back and healthy.

I know UNC has a lot of talent but not sure what they have done to be ranked in the top 20. Lot of brand recognition going on with this poll.

Cornell brings back a sneaky amount of players and getting Long back I assume healthy is a huge boost when you already have Kirst running around out there. Their 1st midfield line looks set and pretty good as well. Think the questions for them are most only the defensive side. They should be good at FOOG with Cascadden and crew. Defensively though they seem to have major question marks. Obviously Adler is gone along with Ierlan and I think they lost at least another pole as well on a defense that was struggling even with all of those guys and the top close D guy in the country last year. Offensively they should be very good with Kirst, Long and that Frosh kid from Canada Firth I think. Defensively I think it could be a real struggle and if they get an injury or two watch out. Still 7 seems about right to me I guess you could swap them and Cuse and Army and put them at say 9 but I think their definitely a top 10 team.

I do agree on Michigan, seems low but Zawada is a massive loss. They did do a real nice job in the portal but they have no real track record of sustained success and that OOC is fairly tough with UVA, ND, harvard and Jax. I think 10 for them would be appropriate or even 9 but hard to bump Cuse or Yale out of those spots.

Overall I think its pretty reasonable. I think Duke probably has the best team on paper but you can't fault ND being #1 though history says they're almost a lock to underperform in eh tourney. I would put Maryland as the top B10 team but all 3 of those schools project to be really good so it's really splitting hairs. Denver and Gtown are the two that really stick out. Denver struggled last year and while a new staff should help there wasn't some large infusion of talent. G-town was up and down last year but man they lost an S ton to graduation. Their first 5 games are Loyola, Hop, Penn, ND and Brown. Could get real ugly real quick.

SU is ranked 9th and is playing 7 of the 8 teams ranked higher than they are.

They're still dodging a game with Penn State, though.

I would put Duke above ND, but not UVa. UVa lost quite a lot.

It does look like ND has lost some other stuff. Their 5th leading scorer Jack Simmons (28pts) and 6th leading scorer Quinn McCahon (21 points) are gone. LSM Chris Conlin and D Jose Boyer are also missing from the roster. That would be a pretty major loss on the defensive end with Fake and Tevlin.
I guess Conlin is back.

not fighting words as it's a meaningless preseason poll, but i don't see how 'cuse is preseason top 10. they finished 20ish rpi? and tied 20 in the last coaches poll and they're jumping 11 teams? they'll likely be real good/efficient on o again, but it's not clear that their biggest weaknesses last year, f/o and d, have been sufficiently addressed. with their schedule, they'll have a chance to prove it.

also think the wahoos are getting a tremendous amount of credit for guys that had to "wait in line" that were good h.s. recruits + shellenberger. for all they lost on offense, and they lost a lot, they lost even more on d. plus lasalla. don't know what the expectations should be there, but 3 is high before they do it.

not fighting words as it's a meaningless preseason poll, but i don't see how 'cuse is preseason top 10. they finished 20ish rpi? and tied 20 in the last coaches poll and they're jumping 11 teams? they'll likely be real good/efficient on o again, but it's not clear that their biggest weaknesses last year, f/o and d, have been sufficiently addressed. with their schedule, they'll have a chance to prove it.

also think the wahoos are getting a tremendous amount of credit for guys that had to "wait in line" that were good h.s. recruits + shellenberger. for all they lost on offense, and they lost a lot, they lost even more on d. plus lasalla. don't know what the expectations should be there, but 3 is high before they do it.

Who do you put ahead of them? It’s relative you know.

IMG_1434.jpeg

Preseason polls tend to be subjective and are about this year's teams. Syracuse added a strong group of transfers. English and Stevens were USILA AAs 2 years ago, and Wright was a USILA AA in 2021. Mule scored 73 points last year at Le High. Overall, that gives Syracuse 6 players who have been on the USILA AA team at some point with Joe Spallina and Marks last year and Hiltz in 2021. You also have the fact that Syracuse was playing a lot of freshmen last year: Spallina, Thompson, Leo, Rhoa, Dwan,... and these guys will all be sophomores this spring which usually leads to improvement.

On the defensive end, Syracuse should gain a bit by having most of the guys back and being more experienced. Wright transferring in, should give Syracuse another quality LSM. Of course, Syracuse also gets their highly touted recruit from last year, Riley Figueiras, back from injury.

On the offense, maybe Syracuse can figure out how to start Spallina, Hiltz, Mule, Thompson, English and Stevens together. You still have Birtwistle, Leo, and Rhoa for the 2nd line - which looks pretty good. Then there is the #17 recruit Deere waiting his turn.

I think Syracuse will probably be better on offense, perhaps have one of the best offenses in D1 this spring and should also take a step forward on defense. FO's is still a problem. Overall, it looks top 10 to me.

I agree with you on UVa. It's not like I am predicting doom and gloom for UVa, but they did lose a lot, and until we see how the new guys fit in, perhaps putting them at like 6 to start the season seems more reasonable.

Can Mason Kohn and Mullen get it done at the x? Can we find enough answers at ssdm? How will Odierna perform in year one as DC? These are the only serious question marks for the squad.

Rope unit gets a boost with Matt Wright and Jake Stevens. Our long pole D guys get a big upgrade with Wright and Schmitt, as well as the first year of top 5 recruit Figueras. The offense is made up of known commodities. No wait and see with any of these guys in the O besides Deere and other freshman if they can crack the lineup. Offense was young last year and a totally new unit playing together. Now the core of it has a year of experience under their belts and should start out of the gate stronger.

We are a top 10 team, but for me the ssdm problem could still be a crutch if we can’t find some answers with our younger options. Only as good as your weakest links on D. While both are question marks, I have much more confidence in the new fogo unit than our guys at ssdm. If the we do get some ssdm answers, or if the offense with all its talent really turns it up a notch, sky is the limit!

Legitimate, earnest question: why do people care about polls, especially preseason ones?
I don't know that it matters that much, although it is nice to see one's team ranked fairly high.

I think a positive for the rankings is that it gets some of the better fans discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the top teams - and comparing those teams.

Who do you put ahead of them? It’s relative you know.
i do know a decent amount about what uva and cuse and several other teams bring back or bring in, but certainly not everybody. just seems like a yuge jump is all.

several of those that *i think* are positioned given last year and what may be back (less info): yale, mich, denver, boston. so some group of those? i'll bet the georgetown coach is trying to use this as bulletin board material for his guys as well given their top 10 performance the last 3 years, attrition notwithstanding.

uva, i'd be putting umd and psu ahead given the comings and goings. although i can easily see the terps with 5 losses by the end of the b1g tourney given their schedule.

i do know a decent amount about what uva and cuse and several other teams bring back or bring in, but certainly not everybody. just seems like a yuge jump is all.

several of those that *i think* are positioned given last year and what may be back (less info): yale, mich, denver, boston. so some group of those? i'll bet the georgetown coach is trying to use this as bulletin board material for his guys as well given their top 10 performance the last 3 years, attrition notwithstanding.

uva, i'd be putting umd and psu ahead given the comings and goings. although i can easily see the terps with 5 losses by the end of the b1g tourney given their schedule.
Michigan hasn't posted a 2024 roster yet, so it's not clear who is back
Michigan did pick up a number of nice transfers:
Beau Pederson, DM, Princeton (Gr.)
Cathal Roberts, LSM, Princeton (Gr.)
Christian Ronda, M, Princeton (Gr.)
Andrew Stanzel, D, Bucknell (Gr.)
Justin Tiernan, A, Lehigh (Gr.)
I think the big question is replacing Zawada, Tiernan had 46g-9a, 55pts in 15 games, so mostly a finisher. He'll probably team with Michael Boehm (73 pts) and Ryan Cohen (57 pts), so the attack should be pretty strong. Bryce Clay (28 pts) is also gone.

I believe Peter Thompson (30 pts) is done on the midfield, but they bring in Ronda, who scored 32 points for Princeton. Jake Bonomi (15pts) transferred to ND. Jacob Jackson (22 pts) and Isaac Aronson could be back for a 5th years. Mulholland returns (17pts)

I believe Nick Rowlett has moved on at FO, but they still have Justin Wiefeldt (.645 pct) and bring in a top FO recruit Jackie Weller (St.John's, #37 IL).

I believe that Andrew Darby is done, but if Ryan Schriber returns for a 5th year, the influx of transfers Pederson, Roberts, and Stanzel could make their defense better.

Hunter Taylor (.514 sv pct) is back in goal, and Shane Carr could return for a 5th year.

Michigan did have a couple attackmen in ILs top 100: #72 Nicke Roode (Culver) and #78 Alex Lobel. They also had Bo Lockwood getting his feet wet as a freshman last year. Lockwood was a prolific high school scorer (236 points in 2022) in Michigan and was ranked #62 in IL in 2022.

Last edited:
Michigan hasn't posted a 2024 roster yet, so it's not clear who is back
Michigan did pick up a number of nice transfers:
Beau Pederson, DM, Princeton (Gr.)
Cathal Roberts, LSM, Princeton (Gr.)
Christian Ronda, M, Princeton (Gr.)
Andrew Stanzel, D, Bucknell (Gr.)
Justin Tiernan, A, Lehigh (Gr.)
I think the big question is replacing Zawada, Tiernan had 46g-9a, 55pts in 15 games, so mostly a finisher. He'll probably team with Michael Boehm (73 pts) and Ryan Cohen (57 pts), so the attack should be pretty strong. Bryce Clay (28 pts) is also gone.

I believe Peter Thompson (30 pts) is done on the midfield, but they bring in Ronda, who scored 32 points for Princeton. Jake Bonomi (15pts) transferred to ND. Jacob Jackson (22 pts) and Isaac Aronson could be back for a 5th years. Mulholland returns (17pts)

I believe Nick Rowlett has moved on at FO, but they still have Justin Wiefeldt (.645 pct) and bring in a top FO recruit Jackie Weller (St.John's, #37 IL).

I believe that Andrew Darby is done, but if Ryan Schrieber returns for a 5th year, the influx of transfers Pederson, Roberts, and Stanzel could make their defense better.

Hunter Taylor (.514 sv pct) is back in goal, and Shane Carr could return for a 5th year.

Michigan did have a couple attackmen in ILs top 100: #72 Nicke Roode (Culver) and #78 Alex Lobel. They also had Bo Lockwood getting his feet wet as a freshman last year. Lockwood was a prolific high school scorer (236 points in 2022) in Michigan and was ranked #62 in IL in 2022.
thanks. i have been a doubter on mich for forever until they do it. they have, zawada's great and a loss but they showed up last year. maybe over the hump. jacob jackson's @ texas grad school and may do mcla there.

Michigan portal adds are good, especially Beau Pederson, but none of them are a direct replacement for Zawada. Ronda is a quality middie and Tiernan from Lehigh is good but seemed to have a strictly off ball role for them. Think they will definitely feel the loss of Zawada. But they finished incredibly strong last season and it is odd to see them that low in a ranking. Also on draft kings the odds on them to win it all are oddly high (+2400), even worse than Rutgers. Don’t know if they will make that final jump but another playoff run would not surprise.

Michigan portal adds are good, especially Beau Pederson, but none of them are a direct replacement for Zawada. Ronda is a quality middie and Tiernan from Lehigh is good but seemed to have a strictly off ball role for them. Think they will definitely feel the loss of Zawada. But they finished incredibly strong last season and it is odd to see them that low in a ranking. Also on draft kings the odds on them to win it all are oddly high (+2400), even worse than Rutgers. Don’t know if they will make that final jump but another playoff run would not surprise.
Michigan has had a problem in the past with getting enough midfield scoring. I think that could be their problem next year offensively with the loss of Thompson?, Jackson and Bonomi. The attack looks like it should be pretty good.

One guy I was forgetting about with UVa is Truitt Sunderland. He didn't really do too much as a freshman (9g-8a, 17 pts) - getting his feet wet, but he could well step things up as a sophomore, especially with more playing time opening up.

breschi doesnt sound too confident...LOL

North Carolina’s late-season losses to Virginia and Notre Dame (twice) only reinforced to anyone watching the noticeable difference in athleticism between the Tar Heels and national title contenders. Even a Syracuse team reliant on freshmen and sophomores looked bigger and faster than Carolina in a mid-April game.

“I think we’re moving in that direction,” Breschi said. “I do think this is a tricky thing.”

Some of the fix must come from player development, which is something Breschi praised as a particular strength of Thompson. The new offensive coordinator spent a lot of time during the fall not only working with the Tar Heels’ offense on the field, but also figuring out what makes them tick as people and athletes.

North Carolina did not make as significant a splash in the transfer market this season, but it might not be necessary if the likes of Duffy and Dominic Pietramala immediately live up to their advance billing.

That newness probably won’t solve everything. But it has provided a jolt for a program that probably needed it.

“I can’t tell you how exciting it is,” Breschi said. “Again, I preface it by saying we have a long way to go, but I do feel like there’s a different feel and a different energy amongst the program.”
from here 2024 NCAA Lacrosse Preview: No. 19 North Carolina (Men)

he also says the defense is a "work in progress." i still cant believe they had the 3rd best defensive efficiency in the country and then demoted the coordinator to working with the fogos. i know they fell off a cliff down the stretch but there were several reasons for that...

i wasnt too high on unc to begin with but this piece solidified my thinking they will finish a distant 5th in the ACC...good luck joe

breschi doesnt sound too confident...LOL

from here 2024 NCAA Lacrosse Preview: No. 19 North Carolina (Men)

he also says the defense is a "work in progress." i still cant believe they had the 3rd best defensive efficiency in the country and then demoted the coordinator to working with the fogos. i know they fell off a cliff down the stretch but there were several reasons for that...

i wasnt too high on unc to begin with but this piece solidified my thinking they will finish a distant 5th in the ACC...good luck joe

I read most of these preview pieces and come away thinking, "man, why isn't this team ranked higher"? I know I did it with the Richmond one that preceded this one. I did not come away with that thought after the UNC write up. I know I am biased, but it really seems like they have three different head coaches who will all do their own thing, and the team on the whole will have no continuity.

I think the Tar Heel offense could be pretty good, especially if Duffy is as advertised, but it's a little strange they still don't seem to know where anyone will play. I know position-less lacrosse is all the rage these days, but if they move players like Tillman, Egan, Petro, they seem to lack any real traditional midfielder. I know that's the case with a lot teams right now (Cuse and UVA included), but there is just something that feels off with UNC's plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom