2024 Preseason Thread | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Thread

That’s cool. New for ‘24? I don’t recall the checker pattern on the helmets prior but PLEASE don’t put it on the unis. I’d still love to see the script SYRACUSE across an Orange jersey instead of the navy on the road. We should just go script Orange & White as the primaries & wear blue 1-2x per year.

Anyone know when media day/start of practice is? Must be in the next couple of days. Season will be here before we know it. Go Orange!

season is almost upon us and i can’t fricking wait !!! Let’s go

Wow. Just occurred to me that the first game is relatively soon.

Anyone know when media day/start of practice is? Must be in the next couple of days. Season will be here before we know it. Go Orange!

I believe it's next week

FWIW, SU favored by six over Vermont right now.

Love we can bet on lax but some of these odds are absurd. Loyola is a 4.5 pt underdog but at -125 odds, absurd.

Syracuse
The story of the Orange last year was the arrival of their freshman class, led by Joey Spallina. The group was as stacked as it gets and delivered on hype. Four of the teams top nine scorers were freshman, with Spallina leading the team at 68 points. Finn Thomson, Michael Leo, and Luke Rhoa all were impact players. Owen Hiltz returns, as does Jackson Birtwhistle. The intrigue is all the new faces. Jake Stevens and Sam English come from Princeton and will be first line midfield weapons. Christian Mule joins from Lehigh as an elite scorer. Jake Titus and Mason Kohn join from DIII Union and Tufts respectively, with Titus at SSDM and Kohn taking faceoffs. Matt Wright comes from UNC to join Saam Olexo at LSM. Zach Puckhaber from Gettysburg. On top of that, two more Spallinas, Jake and Brett, are at Cuse as freshman, as is Trey Deere who should push for attack time right away. Riley Figueiras missed his freshman year at defense due to injury, but has the billing of one of the top defenders in his class nationwide. There are a LOT of mouths to feed at Cuse, and it’ll be very interesting to see how they do it.

Syracuse
The story of the Orange last year was the arrival of their freshman class, led by Joey Spallina. The group was as stacked as it gets and delivered on hype. Four of the teams top nine scorers were freshman, with Spallina leading the team at 68 points. Finn Thomson, Michael Leo, and Luke Rhoa all were impact players. Owen Hiltz returns, as does Jackson Birtwhistle. The intrigue is all the new faces. Jake Stevens and Sam English come from Princeton and will be first line midfield weapons. Christian Mule joins from Lehigh as an elite scorer. Jake Titus and Mason Kohn join from DIII Union and Tufts respectively, with Titus at SSDM and Kohn taking faceoffs. Matt Wright comes from UNC to join Saam Olexo at LSM. Zach Puckhaber from Gettysburg. On top of that, two more Spallinas, Jake and Brett, are at Cuse as freshman, as is Trey Deere who should push for attack time right away. Riley Figueiras missed his freshman year at defense due to injury, but has the billing of one of the top defenders in his class nationwide. There are a LOT of mouths to feed at Cuse, and it’ll be very interesting to see how they do it.

Our freshman fogo may be flying under the radar. Believe we had some good reports on him in the fall.

Would basically be his season average last year plus a couple playoff games. Would be tempting to take the over since we can also expect some improvement this season. He is a hard worker clearly and the time up north could not have hurt. But we have a nice balanced offense with all the weapons in the midfield and a serious talent in Hiltz on the left wing.

I think Hiltz underperformed last season compared to his potential. He was inefficient with his shot (30%) and did not land enough shots in dodging situations despite often getting enough separation from his man. Still he is such a crucial part of the offense and I am hoping to see a more productive year from him this season. Health concerns are all well behind him now and it is his 4th year with the team. He can do so much with his feeding and shooting ability alone, but his dodging is not as weak as some might think. It's strong enough where we should be putting the ball in his stick frequently. That could lead to a more even level of points between Hiltz and Spallina. But he also has to demand the rock in big moments.

Would be happy to see Spallina hit 80 but both him and Hiltz in the high 60s could be even better for the O. Its a fun question and Im spitballing on too much caffeine here.

Would basically be his season average last year plus a couple playoff games. Would be tempting to take the over since we can also expect some improvement this season. He is a hard worker clearly and the time up north could not have hurt. But we have a nice balanced offense with all the weapons in the midfield and a serious talent in Hiltz on the left wing.

I think Hiltz underperformed last season compared to his potential. He was inefficient with his shot (30%) and did not land enough shots in dodging situations despite often getting enough separation from his man. Still he is such a crucial part of the offense and I am hoping to see a more productive year from him this season. Health concerns are all well behind him now and it is his 4th year with the team. He can do so much with his feeding and shooting ability alone, but his dodging is not as weak as some might think. It's strong enough where we should be putting the ball in his stick frequently. That could lead to a more even level of points between Hiltz and Spallina. But he also has to demand the rock in big moments.

Would be happy to see Spallina hit 80 but both him and Hiltz in the high 60s could be even better for the O. Its a fun question and Im spitballing on too much caffeine here.

Assuming relatively good health I would take the over as well, especially with a 15 game schedule. Joey also now has a year under his belt of seeing every teams #1 defender, will know what to expect. He's in for a monster season.

As for Hiltz he had some good games last year but never really looked like the Hiltz we saw his frosh year. Seemed slightly off which I attribute to the year missed due to the injury/rust. I suspect a big year is coming but I also wonder what he would look like getting some run at midfield. It's highly unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons but id be curious to see how he would look getting some extended run and a guy like Birtwistle or Leo playing attack.

Assuming relatively good health I would take the over as well, especially with a 15 game schedule. Joey also now has a year under his belt of seeing every teams #1 defender, will know what to expect. He's in for a monster season.

As for Hiltz he had some good games last year but never really looked like the Hiltz we saw his frosh year. Seemed slightly off which I attribute to the year missed due to the injury/rust. I suspect a big year is coming but I also wonder what he would look like getting some run at midfield. It's highly unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons but id be curious to see how he would look getting some extended run and a guy like Birtwistle or Leo playing attack.
I think Birtwistle would thrive on attack. Feel he is playing a bit out of position at middie. That being said, I agree, Hiltz won’t be coming out of the box this year. Leo at attack is interesting too because he can step into that left handed role, while giving us a much better dodging option.

It’s not a bad idea to pair Leo at attack with the heavy outside shot of Hiltz at Mid.

Our freshman fogo may be flying under the radar. Believe we had some good reports on him in the fall.

Your talking about John Mullen, he's been the defacto #1 FOGO while Kohn has been out injured. He has impressed and set up a battle for the #1 spot when camp opens next week. I think Kohn will likely get the nod based on his pedigree but I expect to see a lot of Mullen this spring.

Anyone know when media day is? Seems like it would be happening here shortly…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom