2024 schedule openings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2024 schedule openings

I'm not seeing Mora get nearly the credit he deserves. He performed a miracle with that group and the pieces he had going into the season. He should have them above .500 next year and have some decent job options for the 2024 season.
Let's be real. He should have been the National Coach of the Year

I don't want SU to EVER play UConn again. I want to put a stake in their hearts and send them back to FCS or close the program entirely.
I don’t think whether we play UConn or not is going to determine if they dissolve their football program or not. They are guaranteed to lose tens of millions of dollars every season they play. They have no fanbase, no real revenue and the situation gets worse each year as more and more money is poured into college football games not in the dire financial situation UConn is facing.

If they play us at home, it might be the only game they make a profit on all season. Maybe they lose 34.5 million in those years instead of 34.8 million. It just isn’t a big deal.

We are having a hard time getting 2 for 1s or buy games even with schools from the MAC. The bottom line is that we are going to continue to fill out our OOC schedule with 1 FCS team, one P5 team and two games against FBS teams.

The FCS games will all be at home. Given we are likely going to schedule home and homes for our FBS games OOC, some years will we have 2 of 3 FBS games at home (7 home games all told) and other years we will have 1 of 3 FBS games at home (6 home games all told).

I want FBS opponents who are a reasonable drive from Syracuse against whom we have a reasonable chance to win. Another benefit of playing close to home is that we will be playing more games in prime recruiting areas for Syracuse.

To me, UConn is one of the shortest drives out there and one of the surest wins. It is easy to get good tickets and it is a good place to tailgate. Army is a good fit too. UB is better than most (more concerned over helping them build their program than UConn) and I think we should think about Temple and UMass as well.

I would rather play programs like these than programs like Western Michigan, Bowling Green or Eastern Illinois that are really hard to drive to and not in areas that we recruit hard. Guessing our focus on recruiting in the Midwest will continue to decrease as our assistant coaches with ties to the Midwest continue to dwindle.

I don’t think whether we play UConn or not is going to determine if they dissolve their football program or not. They are guaranteed to lose tens of millions of dollars every season they play. They have no fanbase, no real revenue and the situation gets worse each year as more and more money is poured into college football games not in the dire financial situation UConn is facing.

If they play us at home, it might be the only game they make a profit on all season. Maybe they lose 34.5 million in those years instead of 34.8 million. It just isn’t a big deal.

We are having a hard time getting 2 for 1s or buy games even with schools from the MAC. The bottom line is that we are going to continue to fill out our OOC schedule with 1 FCS team, one P5 team and two games against FBS teams.

The FCS games will all be at home. Given we are likely going to schedule home and homes for our FBS games OOC, some years will we have 2 of 3 FBS games at home (7 home games all told) and other years we will have 1 of 3 FBS games at home (6 home games all told).

I want FBS opponents who are a reasonable drive from Syracuse against whom we have a reasonable chance to win. Another benefit of playing close to home is that we will be playing more games in prime recruiting areas for Syracuse.

To me, UConn is one of the shortest drives out there and one of the surest wins. It is easy to get good tickets and it is a good place to tailgate. Army is a good fit too. UB is better than most (more concerned over helping them build their program than UConn) and I think we should think about Temple and UMass as well.

I would rather play programs like these than programs like Western Michigan, Bowling Green or Eastern Illinois that are really hard to drive to and not in areas that we recruit hard. Guessing our focus on recruiting in the Midwest will continue to decrease as our assistant coaches with ties to the Midwest continue to dwindle.

You know more about this than I do, but I don't understand why we are having a hard time.

Conference USA has 11 teams, MAC 12, Mountain West 12 (including Hawaii which counts as a 13th game), Sun Belt 14, plus 5 indies other than ND and UConn. We should be able to get some games from this group.

Here is why I loved playing UConn in 2022.

I was able to buy 70 or so tickets along the 35-45 yard line lower level. I was able to increase my group to 80+ without an issue. The cost for these great seats? $30. The tix rep was great and loved me buying lots of tickets.

I could have increased my group to 150 if I wanted...but I had to keep it reasonably small due to logistics.

I was able to secure parking across the street from the stadium grounds. We had tailgating on grass, no parking pressure, indoor climate control bathrooms and relatively cheap parking for $20.

I was able to drive over the morning of the game from the Watertown (NNY) area. I checked into the motel 1/4 mile from the back entrance to our tailgate lot without issue.

The UConn fans were not a factor this time. I didn't run into the usual jerks. We easily had 5000 fans there and pretty much the place was to ourselves by the 4th Q. It was an overall great day. It felt great driving back with an easy victory.

Last edited:

You know more about this than I do, but I don't understand why we are having a hard time.

Conference USA has 11 teams, MAC 12, Mountain West 12 (including Hawaii which counts as a 13th game), Sun Belt 14, plus 5 indies other than ND and UConn. We should be able to get some games from this group.
Of course we can get games from that group...however if the away game from these conferences are away from the NE or a concentrated pocket of alumni or Upstate diaspora why play them?

I'd make a few exceptions like playing at Hawaii or Tulane due to the vacation possibilities.

Tomcat is right...NE and Mid-Atlantic based teams are preferred. Ohio MAC teams are good too. Outside of that anything along the east coast to Florida. Venture outside of there rarely.

I would rank the Northeastern G5s as...

1. Temple
2. Army
3. Navy
4. UConn
5. UMass (I would put them #4 if it is at Gillette)
6. Buffalo

I think we should also consider the Ohio MACs, GA G5s, and FLA G5s for recruiting purposes. Also for the fun of it, sprinkle in Tulane and UNLV. I don't see a point in playing any other G5 outside of this list.

Here is why I loved playing UConn in 2022.

I was able to buy 70 or so tickets along the 35-45 yard line lower level. I was able to increase my group to 80+ without an issue. The cost for these great seats? $30. The tix rep was great and loved me buying lots of tickets.

I could have increased my group to 150 if I wanted...but I had to keep it reasonably small due to logistics.

I was able to secure parking across the street from the stadium grounds. We had tailgating on grass, no parking pressure, indoor climate control bathrooms and relatively cheap parking for $20.

I was able to drive over the morning of the game from the Watertown (NNY) area. I checked into the motel 1/4 mile from the back entrance to our tailgate lot without issue.

The UConn fans were not a factor this time. I didn't run into the usual jerks. We easily had 5000 fans there and pretty much the place was to ourselves by the 4th Q. It was an overall great day. It felt great driving back with an easy victory.

That really puts it in perspective, Mark. Thanks. Good post.

Just happened upon this putting the daily articles together.

It looks like the 2024 FCS opponent is going to be Holy Cross. Holy Cross was 12-1 this season and might have been the best football program in New England.

Bob Chesney is doing a great job there. So good that he probably won't be around by the time we play them...

We could do worse than to hire him. Though it looks like he is more of a defense and special teams focused guy.

Just happened upon this putting the daily articles together.

It looks like the 2024 FCS opponent is going to be Holy Cross. Holy Cross was 12-1 this season and might have been the best football program in New England.

Bob Chesney is doing a great job there. So good that he probably won't be around by the time we play them...

We could do worse than to hire him. Though it looks like he is more of a defense and special teams focused guy.

I sent your tip to fbschedules.com

ive started my look at the 2023 schedule and there are going to be some changes in the last week as miami and pitt no longer play every year

ive started my look at the 2023 schedule and there are going to be some changes in the last week as miami and pitt no longer play every year
I have a complete schedule done with all games placed and will post it after this season officially ends tomorrow

Last edited: