2024 WR Depth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2024 WR Depth

Seeker?

If our WR’s get the Golden Snitch, we win the game!! :p

harry potter GIF

Hard to properly gauge the WR corps last year when our QB couldn't throw a forward pass for half the season.

I saw some flashes with guys and glad they will likely compete for snaps in the fall.

Having said that, I'm very happy we brought in alot of new talent to improve our WR room in, hopefully, a big way.

Hard to properly gauge the WR corps last year when our QB couldn't throw a forward pass for half the season.

I saw some flashes with guys and glad they will likely compete for snaps in the fall.

Having said that, I'm very happy we brought in alot of new talent to improve our WR room in, hopefully, a big way.
Now we have to find a way to keep him healthy, he's not a runner and we haven't really recruited new OL how do we keep him in the pocket but not get hit? We need to solve this dilemma with all the moving parts

Just an observation, but the WR issues seemed to be that we dropped the ball in clutch situations a lot... 3rd and whatever... 15 yard pass on cut over the middle... ball drilled in the chest... dropped.

The group of WRs as whole couldn't catch catchable balls when needed.
I see that we dropped catchable balls but not in big spots. The little plays that could be a first but dropped on second. If weneeded a big play and ball was close we mostly made that play. Mostly.

I see that we dropped catchable balls but not in big spots. The little plays that could be a first but dropped on second. If weneeded a big play and ball was close we mostly made that play. Mostly.
Yeah, there was inconsistency. The thing is, the non-big plays that were missed are what sometimes got us off schedule and put us in bad situations or caused us to miss opportunities or easy scores. That stuff adds up.

I’m curious to know what we run on offense as the base set. At TE are they wanting to play a bigger WR type like OG or Tremble? Are we playing more of a traditional power TE like Mang and Clement? Or maybe more of a tweener receiving TE like Villari? Not sure what they prefer but I’m guessing they go with more of what they have as the best available type right now. So I’m thinking that is 50% Villari mixed in with 30% OG to move him around the formation and then 20% Mang/Clement in bigger formations. So base set would be 3 WR's but when OG is at TE obviously another WR takes his spot out wide making it virtually 4 WR's. We have a lot of WR's. I count 14 and not all will be able to stick around.

My best guess right now at the depth chart after spring would be:

WR 1 Gadsden / Alford / Meeks
WR 2 Tremble / Ross / Gill
WR 3 Hatcher / Yazeed / Brown or Pena
TE Villari or Gadsden, / Mang or Clement

Yazeed, Ross, Brown and Pena should have return specials covered.

Maybe Hornsby and Ja'meer Thomas as redshirts?
Long and Cahoon???

I’m curious to know what we run on offense as the base set. At TE are they wanting to play a bigger WR type like OG or Tremble? Are we playing more of a traditional power TE like Mang and Clement? Or maybe more of a tweener receiving TE like Villari? Not sure what they prefer but I’m guessing they go with more of what they have as the best available type right now. So I’m thinking that is 50% Villari mixed in with 30% OG to move him around the formation and then 20% Mang/Clement in bigger formations. So base set would be 3 WR's but when OG is at TE obviously another WR takes his spot out wide making it virtually 4 WR's. We have a lot of WR's. I count 14 and not all will be able to stick around.

Long and Cahoon???
I do not see Hatcher beating out Hayes. Also Tremble is very talented but not coming until summer. Not sure he starts over some of the transfers or more experienced players that stay that have time to build timing.

I think Villari will be THE TE this season.
UGa TE the past few years was Brock Bowers...6'4" 240 lbs
Villari is 6'4" 235 lbs. maybe not as fast but just as tough.
You saw the pounding he(Villari)took AND dished out last season.
He can catch the ball and THEN run with it and block on running plays.
You'll recall he stated the "culture" of the program had to change.
He's going to be a leader. I think he and McCord are gonna develop some chemistry...

Spring ball is going to be an opportunity for players to show what they can do in whatever offensive system the coaches install. It’s also going to a chance for the coaches to showcase what they’re trying to do on offense in order to see if they/we can attract more talent from the spring portal (April 15 - 30).

Players who don’t perform well this spring could get “the talk” from coaches.
We're presently at 91 scholarships... its seems HCFB is working toward adding maybe 3 or 4 more recruits/transfers... this would require up to 10 players getting " the talk"... otherwise being moved off the roster... WR is a position group that could easily lose 2 or 3 players... I'm a more wait and see who will actually be on the team come August before speculating who deserves playing time. We can speculate on which new recruits have the best chance to see the field but current players may not even be on the team come August.

Last edited:

Long and Cahoon???
I see Villari as best Te receiving or blocking. Kid is tough as hell and if he wants to sniff NFL then he has to keep it that way. See Og, Alford, and Haynes starting and Hatcher, Brown, Ross, and Pena getting some second team play. I am really ok with this set up. We will look nice with some time. I dont expect or try to rush Freshmen cause its really eye opening when they see speed of the game. If we get a kid who kills it then i am in but i dont really expect them too.

I see Villari as best Te receiving or blocking. Kid is tough as hell and if he wants to sniff NFL then he has to keep it that way. See Og, Alford, and Haynes starting and Hatcher, Brown, Ross, and Pena getting some second team play. I am really ok with this set up. We will look nice with some time. I dont expect or try to rush Freshmen cause its really eye opening when they see speed of the game. If we get a kid who kills it then i am in but i dont really expect them too.
Tremble is going to be tough to keep off the field

We're presently at 91 scholarships... its seems HCFB is working toward adding maybe 3 or 4 more recruits/transfers... this would require up to 10 players getting " the talk"... otherwise being moved off the roster... WR is a position group that could easily lose 2 or 3 players... I'm a more wait and see who will actually be on the team come August before speculating who deserves playing time.

Some have already had the talk and are being allowed to stay in the program through spring so they can put film together before they enter the portal following spring ball. So I expect to see a few more guys from last years roster enter the portal when it opens again in April.

What we don’t know right now is how many have left the program yet decided to continue their education at Syracuse. I know of one and suspect there may be a couple more.

And yes there may by more following spring ball when the coaches have a chance to evaluate players in person.

The timing will be interesting. Nothing is confirmed but I think the winter strength and conditioning program will run up to spring break which begins the week of March 10th. I think spring ball will likely start when the team returns from spring break the week of March 17th.

Has anyone heard anything about dates for spring practice and or a spring game? If spring practice starts the week after spring break (March 18th) and they have three practices a week (Tu, Th, Sa) the 15th practice and possibly the spring game will be around April 20th.
  • Jan 16 - Mar 8; winter strength and conditioning
  • Mar 9 - Mar 17; spring break
  • Mar 18 - April 20; spring practice (15 practices).
  • April 15 - 30; spring portal open.

Unfortunately, I think the ACC had a lot to say about when teams will play their spring game. Everything seems to be made for TV these days.

In 2022 we had a spring “event” for television and still had a couple of practices the following week. Lamson was injured in one of those practices following the spring event. What a waste.

I do see he is good but How many Freshmen have played at his age. Truly think about it. He is a really thin frame and unless its 100 percent receiver , i am almost sure he wont play TE till he gets some strength. I really feel Ross is better physically to play early but with our week schedule, maybe ur right and they play way more than i am thinking.

I do not see Hatcher beating out Hayes. Also Tremble is very talented but not coming until summer. Not sure he starts over some of the transfers or more experienced players that stay that have time to build timing.
Certainly valid points.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hatcher and Yazeed Haynes splitting some time but in my opinion I think Hatcher wins more minutes. He has a lot more college experience and production and I think he is a bit undervalued. Really hope he add a little more strength in the offseason again. Haynes looks very promising but he hasn't taken a snap yet in college and while very quick doesn't possess any superior physical advantage. I still give the edge to Hatcher at this point but expect snaps for both.

I thought similarly about OG until I watched his senior highlights again. I dislike the fact that Tremble isn't getting here until the fall but I think he looks like the best WR we have brought in since i can remember. He has superior size already at 6'-4" and 210 lbs and appears as if he can run a 4.4 forty. He is an exceptional athlete with great ball skills. I really don't see any holes in his game. He looks like he has OG as a Sophomore potential already. I think he is ready to play now and will be a difference maker. He just needs to learn the playbook. I think he'll share some snaps the first couple of games but will prove to be exceptional and be a clear starter after that.

Last edited:
I think Villari will be THE TE this season.
UGa TE the past few years was Brock Bowers...6'4" 240 lbs
Villari is 6'4" 235 lbs. maybe not as fast but just as tough.
You saw the pounding he(Villari)took AND dished out last season.
He can catch the ball and THEN run with it and block on running plays.
You'll recall he stated the "culture" of the program had to change.
He's going to be a leader. I think he and McCord are gonna develop some chemistry...
Interesting point about Brock Bowers size. I did think he was a bit bigger. I could certainly see Villari taking a big leap in receiving production this year but not sure how much UGA's offense has to do with that. Fran was a DB coach at UGA. We could be running a completely different offense. I guess we will just have to wait to see how Jeff Nixon as Offensive Coordinator wants to run the offense. But McCord did like to use his TE at OSU.

Interesting point about Brock Bowers size. I did think he was a bit bigger. I could certainly see Villari taking a big leap in receiving production this year but not sure how much UGA's offense has to do with that. Fran was a DB coach at UGA. We could be running a completely different offense. I guess we will just have to wait to see how Jeff Nixon as Offensive Coordinator wants to run the offense. But McCord did like to use his TE at OSU.
I didn't mean to imply that Villari might have the same results as Bowers because CUSE might run a similar offense as UGa. I have no clue what "Franco Inc." has in mind. But I do feel Villari has the talent and drive
to be a heckuva TE for CUSE this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom