2024 Yankees Season | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Yankees Season

I'm all in on DJ in a featured role. What's not to like about an aging player with declining skills who keeps getting hurt?
Expensive, injury prone, and blocking the next generation. I know it's not Hal's style and it won't happen this year but in the next few years who gets cut first, DJ or Stanton? DJ's contract goes through 2026, Stanton's guaranteed through 2027 with a 2028 club option that the Yankees won't pick up.

I'm all in on DJ in a featured role. What's not to like about an aging player with declining skills who keeps getting hurt?

Sorta like Josh Donaldson, you mean? :rolleyes:

Sorta like Josh Donaldson, you mean? :rolleyes:
Donaldson was damaged goods when he arrived in NY and predictably was a disaster waiting to happen. At least DJ arrived as a solid player and delivered some strong seasons before he started breaking down.

He is definitely a better offensive player than last year’s Volpe. More than half of the league was.

Too much emphasis of advanced stats. Not enough common sense.
If you wait for trends to shift you’re often left holding the bag. Maybe now is a good time to load up on NVDA.

Too much emphasis of advanced stats. Not enough common sense.
If you wait for trends to shift you’re often left holding the bag. Maybe now is a good time to load up on NVDA.
I wasn’t advocating for benching the guy. I just didn’t think he should lead off until he demonstrated he was better. I am glad that he did. Also, other than home runs, his old fashioned stats weren’t good either, particularly OBP, which most would agree is important for a lead off hitter.

I wasn’t advocating for benching the guy. I just didn’t think he should lead off until he demonstrated he was better. I am glad that he did. Also, other than home runs, his old fashioned stats weren’t good either, particularly OBP, which most would agree is important for a lead off hitter.
Well, the conundrum there is how does he show he can play that role if he doesn't get the chance. His manager having faith in him is not something quantifiable by any stat, new or old.

Well, the conundrum there is how does he show he can play that role if he doesn't get the chance. His manager having faith in him is not something quantifiable by any stat, new or old.
Have a better on base percentage. You can do that from any position in the order.

Have a better on base percentage. You can do that from any position in the order.
He now has a career OBP of .301. When is the right time to make the move to the top of the line-up?

He now has a career OBP of .301. When is the right time to make the move to the top of the line-up?
The original conversation, if i remember correctly, happened in the first few weeks of the season. I haven’t suggested taking him out of the lead off spot. You must be talking to someone else.

Last edited:
I like Volpe. Of course, I liked Andrew Velazquez, too ... :rolleyes:

Gil's got to be making a strong case for ROY. I'm pretty ignorant as to anything else going on in baseball - who are the other good rookies this year?

Gil's got to be making a strong case for ROY. I'm pretty ignorant as to anything else going on in baseball - who are the other good rookies this year?
Paul Skenes just came up but better watch out, guy has filthy stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom