2024 Yankees Season | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Yankees Season

Ok, Longtime Cuse fan but first time to this thread.

You guys are all my people, but I'm a diehard Orioles fan. Spent many summers in Baltimore as a kid so I actually have an excuse.

As an O's fan, I'm really upset about the obvious retaliation on Gunnar tonight and the Yankees fans cheering about it.

I watch every Os game, and I promise you that Judge was not hit on purpose yesterday. Suarez just didn't have his typical command. And you don't hit a guy intentionally on a 1-2 count on a pitch a few inches off the plate. Brandon Hyde is also not an old school baseball guy. I've never seen the O's retaliate once in his tenure or hit a guy on purpose. No mound charges, no fights that we start. That's not how he manages and this team plays.

Judge getting hit sucks - but this old school "you're a p***y if you don't retaliate" nonsense is silly. But the Yankees fans cheering after Gunnar was clearly intentionally drilled makes me angry. So dumb.

Ok, rant over.

Ok, Longtime Cuse fan but first time to this thread.

You guys are all my people, but I'm a diehard Orioles fan. Spent many summers in Baltimore as a kid so I actually have an excuse.

As an O's fan, I'm really upset about the obvious retaliation on Gunnar tonight and the Yankees fans cheering about it.

I watch every Os game, and I promise you that Judge was not hit on purpose yesterday. Suarez just didn't have his typical command. And you don't hit a guy intentionally on a 1-2 count on a pitch a few inches off the plate. Brandon Hyde is also not an old school baseball guy. I've never seen the O's retaliate once in his tenure or hit a guy on purpose. No mound charges, no fights that we start. That's not how he manages and this team plays.

Judge getting hit sucks - but this old school "you're a p***y if you don't retaliate" nonsense is silly. But the Yankees fans cheering after Gunnar was clearly intentionally drilled makes me angry. So dumb.

Ok, rant over.
That's baseball, Suzyn.

That's baseball, Suzyn.

Pedro Martinez routinely plunked hitters with no compunction, knowing full well he'd never have to appear at the plate. For which Red Sox fans adored him. And actually the rest of the staff, too but that's another story.

Pedro Martinez routinely plunked hitters with no compunction, knowing full well he'd never have to appear at the plate. For which Red Sox fans adored him. And actually the rest of the staff, too but that's another story.
He's probably my least favorite baseball player of all time. Steve Garvey is a distant second.

Pedro hit a lot of guys. I don't ever remember Red Sox fans cheering when he did. And as far as the rest of the staff, you are including Tim Wakefield. Where every team they played wanted to be hit by him. As a young fan my baseball hero was Tony C. Probably a future Hall of Famer. His career and probably his life were cut short because of a hit batsman. I remember the Yankee fans reaction when the Yanks his David Ortiz. This is nothing new.

I'm not willing to go that far. Having seen Gibson, Seaver, Maddux and Mariano, it's hard for me to choose a number one.
All due respect, I can't put a guy that pitched one inning with the rest of those names. Pedro pitched in the height of the roid era. He also pitched in the juiced ball era. He also pitched against the DH. He also pitched with the smaller ball parks and the smaller strike zone than Gibson did and Seaver for a short time. All great pitchers for sure. Just never saw anyone that could match Pedro with all he was up against. The one guy that gives me pause is Koufax. Truly great.

All due respect, I can't put a guy that pitched one inning with the rest of those names. Pedro pitched in the height of the roid era. He also pitched in the juiced ball era. He also pitched against the DH. He also pitched with the smaller ball parks and the smaller strike zone than Gibson did and Seaver for a short time. All great pitchers for sure. Just never saw anyone that could match Pedro with all he was up against. The one guy that gives me pause is Koufax. Truly great.
I probably should've added Randy Johnson to my list as well. I'll admit that my hatred for Pedro could be skewing things, and I'm fine with that.

I probably should've added Randy Johnson to my list as well. I'll admit that my hatred for Pedro could be skewing things, and I'm fine with that.
You are very much entitled to your opinion. I'm trying to think of players that I hated that I would rank lower because of that and no one comes to mind. Maybe Danny Hurley as a coach in college hoop.

It shouldn't be. It's antiquated and a loser's mentality. The fact that Gunnar came around to score an important insurance run is further proof that it's stupid.

Did Gonzalez admit it was intentional? Wouldn't be a smart time to throw at someone, down 3 in the 7th. Why not throw at him earlier in the game? Cole especially is one of those stick up for your teammate kind of guys.

As for the fans, you hear cheers in every single stadium for that stuff. Every one.

Okay, I get your point. But his perspective isn't wrong, either. :)
Complaining that a reliever got picked up off the scrap heap? Literally every team adds random guys to the bullpen every week or so.

Pedro hit a lot of guys. I don't ever remember Red Sox fans cheering when he did. And as far as the rest of the staff, you are including Tim Wakefield. Where every team they played wanted to be hit by him. As a young fan my baseball hero was Tony C. Probably a future Hall of Famer. His career and probably his life were cut short because of a hit batsman. I remember the Yankee fans reaction when the Yanks his David Ortiz. This is nothing new.
Tony Conigliaro was definitely on a HOF trajectory when he was beaned. It is a great sign of long term greatness when you are good enough to be a star as a regular in MLB at the age of 19.

It is a shame his career ended so prematurely.

Tony Conigliaro was definitely on a HOF trajectory when he was beaned. It is a great sign of long term greatness when you are good enough to be a star as a regular in MLB at the age of 19.

It is a shame his career ended so prematurely.

He came back and hit 36 HR's in a season. At the time, he was blind in one eye. Think about that.

Did Gonzalez admit it was intentional? Wouldn't be a smart time to throw at someone, down 3 in the 7th. Why not throw at him earlier in the game? Cole especially is one of those stick up for your teammate kind of guys.

As for the fans, you hear cheers in every single stadium for that stuff. Every one.
You're watching too many Yankee games. I literally can't think of a time I heard that at Camden Yards, especially in the Hyde era. Not once. It makes my stomach turn and I watch nearly every game, I'd remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom