'23 Passing Game | Syracusefan.com

'23 Passing Game

Goin' Deep

2nd String
Whether or not the Orange win 7+ or 4- next year depends on the passing game.
At UVa., the QB Amstrong passed for 2117 yards in 2020// 4449 yards in 2021.
Then Anae/Beck left, Armstrong passed for 2210 in 2022. A/B were sorely missed.
Anae and Beck brought their offense to CUSE and it was much better it seemed than what we had.
And it's to be expected that in YEAR 2 the passing game SHOULD/WILL be responsible for substantial improvement.

BUT TWO THINGS GOTTA HAPPEN.

Shrader has to be a better QB. He cannot lock on to1 receiver..he's got to go through his progressions. He's got to get that ball out quicker..he cannot wait for the receiver to be open but throw when the receiver is getting open/coming out of his break. Also, he's got to work on accuracy. How often did we see a pass lead the receiver out of bounds or be thrown to the wrong shoulder? Finally, he's got be to more secure with the ball...can't throw into double/triple coverage and when he's on the move the ball has to be tucked away/protected. I think alot of what we saw this year was due to a guy in a new system after playing TE in 2020 and under Gilbert in '21. SHrader stated as much in an interview a few weeks back- that the offense will be much more dynamic next season. True IF...

WRs step up...We saw Gadsden have a big year. I believe that happened because ANae saw 1 guy who could consistently perform last spring and early in the season. But I also think out of the group of Jones, Alford and Adams, 2 out of 3 will be worthy alternatives to Gadsen. There is talent there. And don't bail on Pena just yet. Cooper was used a fair amount and I think that caused Jackson to bolt and Pena to get "rusty". Hatcher and Long...? hello anybody home? Yup getting a wideout from the portal looks to be important. And lastly, utilizing a TE in the passing game will give opposing Ds something to think about. Villari or Mahar, will we hear that name on the end of a reception once or twice a game?

Bottomline...there is as much talent on both ends of the pass as there is room for improvement. I know how these guys will be spending their spring and summer.
A HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR to you and yours!!

Whether or not the Orange win 7+ or 4- next year depends on the passing game.
At UVa., the QB Amstrong passed for 2117 yards in 2020// 4449 yards in 2021.
Then Anae/Beck left, Armstrong passed for 2210 in 2022. A/B were sorely missed.
Anae and Beck brought their offense to CUSE and it was much better it seemed than what we had.
And it's to be expected that in YEAR 2 the passing game SHOULD/WILL be responsible for substantial improvement.

BUT TWO THINGS GOTTA HAPPEN.

Shrader has to be a better QB. He cannot lock on to1 receiver..he's got to go through his progressions. He's got to get that ball out quicker..he cannot wait for the receiver to be open but throw when the receiver is getting open/coming out of his break. Also, he's got to work on accuracy. How often did we see a pass lead the receiver out of bounds or be thrown to the wrong shoulder? Finally, he's got be to more secure with the ball...can't throw into double/triple coverage and when he's on the move the ball has to be tucked away/protected. I think alot of what we saw this year was due to a guy in a new system after playing TE in 2020 and under Gilbert in '21. SHrader stated as much in an interview a few weeks back- that the offense will be much more dynamic next season. True IF...

WRs step up...We saw Gadsden have a big year. I believe that happened because ANae saw 1 guy who could consistently perform last spring and early in the season. But I also think out of the group of Jones, Alford and Adams, 2 out of 3 will be worthy alternatives to Gadsen. There is talent there. And don't bail on Pena just yet. Cooper was used a fair amount and I think that caused Jackson to bolt and Pena to get "rusty". Hatcher and Long...? hello anybody home? Yup getting a wideout from the portal looks to be important. And lastly, utilizing a TE in the passing game will give opposing Ds something to think about. Villari or Mahar, will we hear that name on the end of a reception once or twice a game?

Bottomline...there is as much talent on both ends of the pass as there is room for improvement. I know how these guys will be spending their spring and summer.
A HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR to you and yours!!
Our best receiver next year may be coming out of the backfield. He will be a major weapon. I think Vallari will make huge strides too.

To me the OL is the key without a doubt. They do their job, it keeps the miles off the Shrader truck and the more healthy he is as the season progresses the better the chances for wins in late October and November.

QBs and their ability to go through progressions… I don’t know if this can be taught or improved. Seems like an instinct - either they have “it” or they don’t.

I don’t even think Mcnabb went through progressions unless he was escaping the pocket and buying time. Maybe Shrader just needs to be 1 read and go. Be decisive.

To me the OL is the key without a doubt. They do their job, it keeps the miles off the Shrader truck and the more healthy he is as the season progresses the better the chances for wins in late October and November.
I was waiting for somebody to say it! Schrader was not the problem last year he was head and shoulders so much better than the previous schrader we saw a year prior so I don't understand where You get all this criticism of traitor he had a very good year considering the offensive line under performed, Translation Call , he had to make a play out of an erratic situation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom