27 year old victim? | Syracusefan.com

27 year old victim?

NKR1978

Living Legend
I see this brought up in the chat, and I know there are a lot of questions about how an adult could continue to be victimized. My roommate has and MSW and has studied and worked with abused children in the past.

She explained to me that the victim becomes so messed up in the head that they can "love" their abuser. It's obviously a f***** up "love," but for someone who has been sexually abused, it is all they know. In these situations, the victim may have a very difficult time breaking off contact with the abuser, thereby allowing the abuse to continue.

As soon as she told me this, I thought of the Mike Danton story. For those interested, Deadspin did a great piece on it a couple years ago. This shows the hold that an abuser can have over the victim even well into adult hood. It's heartbreaking, and if true, Bernie Fine is a monster.

Of course, this is a rudimentary explanation, but it was the first thing she told me when she heard the story. Others here probably have far more knowledge about the psychiatry and could completely show that this is wrong.

http://deadspin.com/5653026/mike-danton-david-frost-and-the-return-of-the-unkillable-hockey-svengali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom