29-8 edge in free throws | Syracusefan.com

29-8 edge in free throws

Millhouse

Living Legend
I didn't catch much of the game. Did we get home cooking? I know VT is tiny and probably didn't draw contact but that's a big difference

The ref's could of called more on VPI. Rak was fouled literally everytime down the court. Typical Buzz Williams defense.

It's typical when our guy is just that much bigger than their guy. It doesn't seem like a foul to the refs even though it clearly is.

It's typical when our guy is just that much bigger than their guy. It doesn't seem like a foul to the refs even though it clearly is.

I understand this but it was wild if you just watched Rak or even Conney off the ball getting destroyed constantly in the half court. Then it was mind boggling that when Rak finally had enough and shoved a guy off of him they would whistle him for a foul. Rak really gets less respect from the refs than any big guy I can remember that is having such an accomplished season. I actually think its going to be nice for him to play Duke, UVA and Lville who will guard him with one big and only help with one other guy. These teams that surround him with quackers who peck at him all game long must drive him insane.

If the free throw differential was reversed, there would be a 200 post thread about how the state of officiating in college basketball is a disaster.

While this is true the referring is horrid in every game IMO yet to see a good one this year that I can recall. Wrestling should simply not be allowed in bball at all and that's what Tech did to Rak all game. They sent #1 to grapple with him while the 2 helpers "Hanz and Franz'd him from the side and behind.

If the free throw differential was reversed, there would be a 200 post thread about how the state of officiating in college basketball is a disaster.

Indeed.

I understand this but it was wild if you just watched Rak or even Conney off the ball getting destroyed constantly in the half court. Then it was mind boggling that when Rak finally had enough and shoved a guy off of him they would whistle him for a foul. Rak really gets less respect from the refs than any big guy I can remember that is having such an accomplished season. I actually think its going to be nice for him to play Duke, UVA and Lville who will guard him with one big and only help with one other guy. These teams that surround him with quackers who peck at him all game long must drive him insane.

Maybe Rak would benefit from the Xanax one member recommended for Cooney earlier in the season?

Probably because the officiating would have to be pretty bad in the opposing team's favor for there to be that big of a disparity against us. Given our short rotation, we have guys intentionally avoiding playing good, physical defense, and our offense is predicated on getting the ball down low to our All-ACC Center.

I'd be pretty upset at the refs if any opposing team shot 20 more free throws than us. And I think I'd have a good point.

Whiny little brats, ain't we?

So true though.

Yes we are, but in fairness, so is every fan base of every team ever. It's literally impossible for a fan to objectively assess the quality of officiating in a game that they have a rooting interest.

In order for me to take a fan seriously who thinks their team got screwed by officiating in a particular game, they would have to give me examples of games that their team benefited from bad officiating and won a game they shouldn't. If they can't do that, than it proves they aren't objective.

I wonder what the biggest differential in free throws was in the big east for us. we had to play this black lung slob and pitt plenty of times there, wonder if we ever had a 3.6 to 1 advantage

Yes we are, but in fairness, so is every fan base of every team ever. It's literally impossible for a fan to objectively assess the quality of officiating in a game that they have a rooting interest.

In order for me to take a fan seriously who thinks their team got screwed by officiating in a particular game, they would have to give me examples of games that their team benefited from bad officiating and won a game they shouldn't. If they can't do that, than it proves they aren't objective.

Like Cowherd says, fan is just short for fanatic. I think by definition a fanatic can not be objective.

of course you dont get many ft attempts when you just shoot 3s for a whole half. i think we also committed almost as many fouls on offense as we did on defense.

upperdeck said:
of course you dont get many ft attempts when you just shoot 3s for a whole half. i think we also committed almost as many fouls on offense as we did on defense.

We shot more threes than they did.

Let's be real- if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be complaining.

Tech didn't get some obvious fouls, imo. Just like we didn't get a few. Our goal was to bang inside, so I expected we would get more calls. But they certainly missed some pretty blatant fouls that were in tech's favor.

Also, VA tech was thrashing our defense so badly most of the second half, there weren't even opportunities to foul. That's how wide open they were.

Think about that.

GoHamSU said:
Let's be real- if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be complaining. Tech didn't get some obvious fouls, imo. Just like we didn't get a few. Our goal was to bang inside, so I expected we would get more calls. But they certainly missed some pretty blatant fouls that were in tech's favor.

Meltdown wouldn't be the word to use to describe the board if the shoe was on the other foot.

I believe that. I hope we never have that type of team. it's so cynical. refs don't want to call that many fouls and foul everyone out so we'll amp it up and literally play by our own rules
AKA JT Jr's Gtown teams.

Actually, he was gang assaulted everytime. Cooney was also fouled when he was trying to get open.

There was one play where Cooney got body-blocked pretty blatantly and ended up a few feet out of bounds and off balance - no foul.

Rak was getting destroyed all game. They let a lot go - I can see V-Tech being upset by the disparity in FTs, but I felt like the refs were just doing a bad job all-around. Not necessarily favoring us in any way.