2nd Half Performance... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2nd Half Performance...

Battle was our PG for 80% of the game and like 90% of the second half.

Battle has been our PG for quite awhile now.

Frank has been a so-so shooting 2. Not saying it's his fault with the ankle and all, but it's reality...

And why was that?

Because virtually every trip Frank tried to bring the ball up court in the 2nd half was an adventure to say the least.

He's not got his quickness back since the injury and he wasn't fast to begin with... Now he's a liability on the court a lot of time.

I hope Carey with a 2.0 reboot after this season can put it together next year... Or we're in for a rough one I fear...

You're asking a lot of Battle when he has to play PG, and be our one dynamic scorer, and go up against a stronger/taller player in Hunter...and play defense with a bit of a liability next to him.

There was one play in the 1st half where Battle got the ball at the elbow extended, matched up on Salt, one-on-one, and he didn't even try to take Salt off of the dribble.

Maybe if we made him shoot off the bounce, or something, he may have missed. He seemed pretty on fire with the whole catch and release thing though.

Most of the 3s UVa made in the first half were uncontested - no hands up or anything.

There was one play in the 1st half where Battle got the ball at the elbow extended, matched up on Salt, one-on-one, and he didn't even try to take Salt off of the dribble.
We have no ability to keep heads up and push through. We fold like a 10-2 off suit every time.

We don't have an alpha that can stop droughts. Tyus has been great but when our O stops we end up looking to Tyus and Oshae, neither of which are NBA studs. Our offense depends on winning individual matchups, and against good teams we don't have the best guys. Our O cost us the game last night.

What gets tiresome with this team in games ...

- they run basically a 3 man weave, with picks from a 7'2" center thirty plus feet from the
hoop, that doesn't gain anything. as UVa was making their run, SU tried this, clearly looking
to get an open three, and they couldn't find anything. then they'd try a drive, and it would
get blocked, because it's an easy offense to defend. i'd never pop out to cover chukwu on
a pick. why? the only real creativity you get on O is when marek is in, because then you do
get back cuts, but not otherwise. and look, post oshae, and run the offense thru that, not
a weave.

- the defense would get stretched out to where three guys would be on the same wing as
two shooters, chukwu would be down low trying to watch two guys on the post, and the
remaining guy - a shooter - would still find a way to get wide open.

- and when UVa would FINALLY miss ... that herb salt would tap the ball back out where a
teammate would pick it up to extend the possession.

And, I get that the zone is the defense, but, 8-12 from deep in the first, "yep, they can't keep
that up." and then they do, and you can't commit to making it difficult on the offense. press,
and fall into the zone, don't wait until five mins left, and down 20. the stretch of "up 43-42 to
down 66-46" was awful in all phases. they're playing just good enough to lose, except for last
night where everything went wrong in ten mins.

kev

Every UVA possession has a purpose to it. Their passing is always crisp, they always work from the inside out. They're just so disciplined.

Because virtually every trip Frank tried to bring the ball up court in the 2nd half was an adventure to say the least.

He's not got his quickness back since the injury and he wasn't fast to begin with... Now he's a liability on the court a lot of time.

I hope Carey with a 2.0 reboot after this season can put it together next year... Or we're in for a rough one I fear...

There’s a lot more options next year, at least. Out of Carey, Goodine, Washington, and Girard, I like to think at least one of them can get the job done.

We don’t have enough offensive answers to stop another teams run...and let’s be honest, your point guard needs to make plays in tough possssions...

I rarely disagree with you, but in this case We have the firepower, just not in all the right spots it seems. We have 5 guys who are capable of hitting 3's but struggle for rushed shots that end up short because we literally have nothing of an inside game. We can not throw it in and out, because they cannot catch the ball down low. And Sidbe, who I thought was going to be one of the main reasons this season turned out much differently from last because I expected nothing else from Chucku, has not played much and as a result could never really get in the flow. Our opponents simply need to guard more outside and our lack of ability to pass inside to break the defense has greatly caused our offensive woes. Sure we can get hot every so often, but it is unsustainable over the long run.

Most of the 3s UVa made in the first half were uncontested - no hands up or anything.
The thing is "hands up" is NOT good enough when shooters are in a rhythm. It's not contesting unless you're making them uncomfortable. You have to actually run them off their spots so they can't catch-and-shoot. And that's a lot more attainable when you're assignment is one man.

The thing is "hands up" is NOT good enough when shooters are in a rhythm. It's not contesting unless you're making them uncomfortable. You have to actually run them off their spots so they can't catch-and-shoot. And that's a lot more attainable when you're assignment is one man.
Better zone defense in the first have might have prevented the onslaught but as this game proved, running out on a hot guy doesn't necessarily make him miss. The only way to stop it would have been to disrupt perimeter passes to their shooters. A zone (at least, THIS zone) ain't going to do that.

Now, ask me if I think we have anybody that can deny perimeter passes when playing M2M.

Overmatched...by the elite athleticism of Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome and their 5 foot tall point guard...

Not sure what this is getting at. UVA has the right players in the right positions and plays elite defense. Frank being bigger and able to jump higher than the white fellas doesn't make him less overmatched. They're better basketball players than he his. The same is true for most of our players.

Not sure what this is getting at. UVA has the right players in the right positions and plays elite defense. Frank being bigger and able to jump higher than the white fellas doesn't make him less overmatched. They're better basketball players than he his. The same is true for most of our players.
Alright, i'll say it.. What I'm getting at is that Bennett & staff are better, in 2019, than Boeheim & staff.

They are not more skilled, athletic or bigger than us. They don't out-anything us, except for being disciplined and extremely well coached/developed.

They could very well flame out again in the tourney, and we could very well go on another random run, but 30+ game seasons don't lie and we've been trending down for a while now.

They need to breakthrough in the tourney to legitimize what is a powerhouse program under Bennett. We need to advance in the tourney to save what is a dying program under JB.

Alright, i'll say it.. What I'm getting at is that Bennett & staff are better, in 2019, than Boeheim & staff.

They are not more skilled, athletic or bigger than us. They don't out-anything us, except for being disciplined and extremely well coached/developed.

They could very well flame out again in the tourney, and we could very well go on another random run, but 30+ game seasons don't lie and we've been trending down for a while now.

They need to breakthrough in the tourney to legitimize what is a powerhouse program under Bennett. We need to advance in the tourney to save what is a dying program under JB.

They have more talented players by a mile. Bennett has a good defensive system, like Boeheim. His offensive system hasn't made players better than they would be otherwise.

Sanctions, Hop leaving, and GMac learning the ropes killed the talent level of our recent teams. That's quantifiable. We have significantly less talent than we're used to. UVA has more talent than they've ever had.

There’s a lot more options next year, at least. Out of Carey, Goodine, Washington, and Girard, I like to think at least one of them can get the job done.

One can hope.

We really have to develop some players.

His offensive system hasn't made players better than they would be otherwise.
Disagree. Bennett's offensive system is all about using the shot clock for passing and getting good looks at the basket.
On the other end, the Cavs run the mover-blocker offense, a motion system developed by Bennett’s father. Players are divided between “movers” (scorers) and “blockers” (screeners) who make cuts and screens depending on how they read the defense, rather than according to clearly defined sets. KenPom ranks Virginia as the 38th most efficient offense in the country. They are, however, slow, often bleeding the shot clock until they find a look to their liking. This is where the criticisms of Virginia’s style often arise. “The only thing we’re doing on offense is trying to get a good shot,” says Nolte. “It just speaks to how disciplined we are that we take that much time.”
ETA: UVA is 62nd in A% and Syracuse is 219th.

Last edited:
Disagree. Bennett's offensive system is all about using the shot clock for passing and getting good looks at the basket.

ETA: UVA is 62nd in A% and Syracuse is 219th.

It's a good system. I wasn't trying to say he can't coach. These guys would be good anywhere though. That's what I was getting at. Guy and Jerome were not under the radar players. Most of UVA's contributors were highly rated recruits. Comparatively, our contributors were worse recruits.

Assists are cool. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom