3/5/2016 Florida State Game Thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

3/5/2016 Florida State Game Thread

Didn't like our closing schedule -- two road games, one at Carolina.

Who should have played? Howard?

Are we performing better of late in the halves Howard plays, or the halves where he doesn't? It's sort of a pattern.

I thought Howard was not good either today, so I'm not going to sit here and say he should have played, but it's 10000% on JB to tell his player to stop forcing shots and he's coddled Cooney for 3 years. His shot selection has been Ricky Davis-esque and no one has said boo.

I thought Howard was not good either today, so I'm not going to sit here and say he should have played, but it's 10000% on JB to tell his player to stop forcing shots and he's coddled Cooney for 3 years. His shot selection has been Ricky Davis-esque and no one has said boo.

Agreed, Howard was a big ball of WTH in the first half. lol

Ghost said:
Are we performing better of late in the halves Howard plays, or the halves where he doesn't? It's a weird pattern.
Howard literally can't score. At least Cooney has a chance at going on a streak.

Howard literally can't score. At least Cooney has a chance at going on a streak.

I feel like 85% of this board doesn't know what literally means.

Half the board said repeatedly last year we literally couldn't score if Cooney sat. We would. It was sort of normal.

Ghost said:
I feel like 85% of this board doesn't know what literally means. Half the board said repeatedly last year we literally couldn't score if Cooney sat. We would. It was sort of normal.

This all comes down to recruiting missteps.

the bolded is 100% spot on. Cooney has had to get better because his minutes were safe and he's been coddled. Even if he was physically maxed out talentwise, he hasn't improved his basketball IQ. He doesn't get yanked for the mind numbing shots he takes. He's been untouchable and knew it.

Ghost said:
I feel like 85% of this board doesn't know what literally means. Half the board said repeatedly last year we literally couldn't score if Cooney sat. We would. It was sort of normal.
I know what literally means. He averages 1.7 a game. For all intents and purposes, Howard doesn't score. Is that better?

Ajflood12 said:
When was the last cooney hot streak? January vs UNC.
When was the last Howard hot streak? Let's be real people. There is no back up for Cooney when he is off. That's what we have been dealt. The single-handed blame game is old.

I know what literally means. He averages 1.7 a game. For all intents and purposes, Howard doesn't score. Is that better?

I'm just joking, he has a red light - nobody with a red light as a Frosh is going to score much. I'm not sure what expectations are in that regard.

When was the last Howard hot streak? Let's be real people. There is no back up for Cooney when he is off. That's what we have been dealt. The single-handed blame game is old.

You know who the back-ups are? G and Mal.

It's about return on investment.

Does having a PG that can pass, distribute in the game - but losing what G offers as the PG, make up for having a shooting guard on the floor (G or Mal) that ain't TC. That's the analysis.

Would having G at PG, and Mal (whom JB has stated multiple times is a SG playing out of position) as the SG make up for it? That's where your thoughts have to go, not strictly, is Howard better than Cooney? Howard can't score, so Howard can't play for Cooney! That seems to be the analysis most people use. Which is nonsensical.

Today, blah. Howard sucked in the first half - didn't distribute, or pass the ball well. Cooney was way worse than that though in the second half.

You realize teams aren't "dealt", right?

You can go out and get players. ANYONE you want that wants to play for your team.

This is what JB chose. He chose to play Cooney for 35+ mins a game for 3 years and this is what we got.

Let's be real...Cooney is 10 for his last 40 for 3 (5-10, 1-7, 0-6, 2-7, 2-10) in the past 5 games.

djcon57 said:
You realize teams aren't "dealt", right? You can go out and get players. ANYONE you want that wants to play for your team. This is what JB chose. He chose to play Cooney for 35+ mins a game for 3 years and this is what we got.
Right. That's how recruiting works. You just go out and get ANYONE you want. Then they all stay for four years and everything goes exactly as planned.

Right. That's how recruiting works. You just go out and get ANYONE you want. Then they all stay for four years and everything goes exactly as planned.

Every single team in D1 has the same obstacles. Stop coddling.

Ajflood12 said:
Let's be real...Cooney is 10 for his last 40 for 3 (5-10, 1-7, 0-6, 2-7, 2-10) in the past 5 games.
I'm not arguing that. I'm asking what the alternative is. JB always gives the green light to players he deems shooters. That is his philosophy. It is irrational to think that will change.

I'm not arguing that. I'm asking what the alternative is. JB always gives the green light to players he deems shooters. That is his philosophy. It is irrational to think that will change.
Put Mali in the backcourt with DC in the middle and Lydon/roberson on the wings. We still have three shooters in (mali, G and Lydon) with much better rebounding (roberson, lydon, DC). I rather see that lineup then Cooney.

djcon57 said:
Every single team in D1 has the same obstacles. Stop coddling.
Umm. That was my point. It isn't coddling, whatever that means. Cooney was not good today, but the rest of the team wasn't exactly lighting it up.

I feel like 85% of this board doesn't know what literally means.

Half the board said repeatedly last year we literally couldn't score if Cooney sat. We would. It was sort of normal.

We literally didn't score a FG until after 5 and 1/2 minutes were exhausted in the first half. :) :bang:

Umm. That was my point. It isn't coddling, whatever that means. Cooney was not good today, but the rest of the team wasn't exactly lighting it up.

I think the issue with that is the position he plays. I mean, nobody expects Roberson to start taking it to the whole and create some offense for others. Lydon isn't going to assume a guard role. Mal is a Frosh, but at least has some creativity in his game, can get to the rim regularly (with tremendously mixed results).

Guards are soooooooooo important in the game today, having one that can't do anything on offense other than shoot, and shoots below 30% from three in conference play in his career (ouch!) - makes it that much harder on the other players, because of this position he plays.

Ideally, if the offense is struggling, you can create for yourself or for others. TC is a shooting guard that runs in circles and offers up little else. It's all sorts of backwards. After that, it's all about how much you value the spacing he provides, and how much of that goes away if you switch it up. Probably not much - but some think differently.

Plenty of teams run an offense now that functions with 3 or even 4 guards (you have to have some length in there) pretty successfully, think Nova, but few teams run an offense with all forwards (combo-guards) with no true guards. Cooney could thrive in an offense like that (Nova) where his spacing would be more helpful, and could be exploited. On this team, for three years, he's been an anchor.

The last three minutes of this game is why you have to change up your defense. You can still play zone, but pick and chase, trap, etc, just to change things up. You saw what it did to FSU. They were clueless. The officials missed two walks that cost us a chance at the end. The sideline call and Mayes falling down. We took too many bad shots to win on the road.
THIS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom