3 Orangemen in 1st Round of Goodman's First Mock Draft | Syracusefan.com

3 Orangemen in 1st Round of Goodman's First Mock Draft

OrangeTown

All Conference
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ks-center-joel-embiid-tops-2014-mock-draft-10

Ennis at 8 to the Lakers

"The Lakers can go from one Canadian point guard to another. Ennis has risen up the draft boards more than anyone since the start of the season because of his ability to run a team, make quality decisions and knock down the open shot."

Grant at 23 to the Suns

"This is the second of three first-round picks for the Suns. While the team has fared well with its underwhelming front line, McDonough will likely try and upgrade. Grant is long, athletic and his skill level is constantly improving."

CJ at 29 to the Thunder

"I'm not sure whether Fair is a small forward or a power forward, but he's a player, and the word is Oklahoma City general manager Presti is a fan of his production and versatility. Fair is athletic, long, a gifted runner and can jump through the roof."

Great news for CJ. Bad news for Cuse fans that TE continues his move up the projections. However, I guess that's balanced out by JG being outside the range where he might be inclined to jump early.

Three things stand out [one for each player].

First of all, Ennis's hype is being backed up by our team's performance. He's going to have a tough decision to make this off-season; wouldn't be surprised to see him return--in fact, that's what I've expected all along--but if he's projected top 10...

Grant's draft position is about where I'd realistically expect him to get slated. Which means outside of the lottery. Wouldn't be surprised to see him return, despite many posters suggesting that his departure is a no-brainer. I love his potential, but count me among those who believe that he could enhance his stock by returning for one more year.

CJ would be a great fit on a playoff-caliber, veteran leadership driven team like the Thunder [or the Spurs, or Miami]. Hope he sneaks into the first round.

A ton of movement will happen in the next 45 days. Just like NBA GMs seem to be mesmorized by shiny objects (like "potential"), they are especially vulnerable to shiny objects that also make noises (like the NCAA tournament). If we get knocked out in the second round, our guys will drop. If we are still playing in April, our guys will rise. All this is independent of their capability.

Whats the difference between Ennis and Kendall Marshall? They seem like the same player to me.

What no Keita? :) Honestly, I feel like he has Fair a little high. I think Fair is a 2nd rounder.

Three things stand out [one for each player].

First of all, Ennis's hype is being backed up by our team's performance. He's going to have a tough decision to make this off-season; wouldn't be surprised to see him return--in fact, that's what I've expected all along--but if he's projected top 10...

Grant's draft position is about where I'd realistically expect him to get slated. Which means outside of the lottery. Wouldn't be surprised to see him return, despite many posters suggesting that his departure is a no-brainer. I love his potential, but count me among those who believe that he could enhance his stock by returning for one more year.

CJ would be a great fit on a playoff-caliber, veteran leadership driven team like the Thunder [or the Spurs, or Miami]. Hope he sneaks into the first round.
I was going to say, regarding CJ...doesn't he just seem like one of those guys the Spurs snatch up in the second round every year who turn out to be quality role players? I'm not a Spurs fan but love the fact that, while they draft a lot of foreign dudes, they also look at the body of work of a college player and draft based on production as much as potential. Probably why they're so consistently good, because you are more apt to strike out than hit a home run when drafting on potential alone. My analogy is like this: the Spurs constantly hit singles and doubles, but always get on base. The teams that draft on potential strike out three out of four plate appearances and occasionally hit a triple or a homer. The first one is always going to score more runs and win more games.

I was going to say, regarding CJ...doesn't he just seem like one of those guys the Spurs snatch up in the second round every year who turn out to be quality role players? I'm not a Spurs fan but love the fact that, while they draft a lot of foreign dudes, they also look at the body of work of a college player and draft based on production as much as potential. Probably why they're so consistently good, because you are more apt to strike out than hit a home run when drafting on potential alone. My analogy is like this: the Spurs constantly hit singles and doubles, but always get on base. The teams that draft on potential strike out three out of four plate appearances and occasionally hit a triple or a homer. The first one is always going to score more runs and win more games.
Not a spurs fan either, but I have great respect for their coaching staff and organization. If I had a choice where to send CJ, it would be there.

Agreed...When you are a borderline NBA player, your best bet is to get drafted by the Spurs. You are in a winning culture and the team will do everything possible to find a role for you. Not that I blame Southerland.

Spurs were also the team that said last year, Grant was the best NBA prospect at SU. We all know that Grant's family is fully aware of what teams would like to have him, so even if he's projected outside the lottery, he could still leave if he and his family like the "guarantee" that they have.

Whats the difference between Ennis and Kendall Marshall? They seem like the same player to me.

Ennis can score the ball a bit better. He can probably spread the floor a bit more off the ball, and he should be able to drive the ball a bit better because he can't be laid off as much as Marshall.

Spurs were also the team that said last year, Grant was the best NBA prospect at SU. We all know that Grant's family is fully aware of what teams would like to have him, so even if he's projected outside the lottery, he could still leave if he and his family like the "guarantee" that they have.
The thing with that, though, is that if he falls out of the lottery there's no way he'll slide all the way to San Antonio, so he wouldn't wind up there unless they trade up to snag him.

Gooden watches a lot of college ball and may have seen the players play alot, but I am not looking for somewhat to "Scout" players, I rely more on someone who is more connected to actual scouts.

The thing with that, though, is that if he falls out of the lottery there's no way he'll slide all the way to San Antonio, so he wouldn't wind up there unless they trade up to snag him.

I mean that in terms of it doesn't have to be the Spurs, could be the Bulls or Hawks or whoever that the family trusts is a good landing spot. Knowing that a "good fit" is there outside of the lottery minimizes the risk of coming out. I just don't see him returning because I don't think next year the SU offense will revolve around Grant standing at the 3-pt line.

I mean that in terms of it doesn't have to be the Spurs, could be the Bulls or Hawks or whoever that the family trusts is a good landing spot. Knowing that a "good fit" is there outside of the lottery minimizes the risk of coming out. I just don't see him returning because I don't think next year the SU offense will revolve around Grant standing at the 3-pt line.
It certainly wouldn't revolve around that, but he would certainly be the central figure in our offense and a leading candidate for national player of the year. Hopefully if we get one more season out of him, he'll pull a John Wallace and just work on his jumper constantly over the summer like J-Dub did between his junior and senior seasons. If Grant could get up to even 33-35% on threes, he'd be a lock for the top 5 or 6 picks next season, I think.

It certainly wouldn't revolve around that, but he would certainly be the central figure in our offense and a leading candidate for national player of the year. Hopefully if we get one more season out of him, he'll pull a John Wallace and just work on his jumper constantly over the summer like J-Dub did between his junior and senior seasons. If Grant could get up to even 33-35% on threes, he'd be a lock for the top 5 or 6 picks next season, I think.

Agreed.

If Grant is going to go in the 20ish range, I could see him coming back for another year.

Not sure I see him getting up to the top 5 or 6 though, but if he's 23 this year, a good year could see him going lotto for sure.

If Grant is going to go in the 20ish range, I could see him coming back for another year.

Not sure I see him getting up to the top 5 or 6 though, but if he's 23 this year, a good year could see him going lotto for sure.
All depends on whether he 1) bulks up more without losing explosiveness to become a true 4, or 2) expands his range enough and keeps working on his handle to become a true 3. I think if he does either, and puts up numbers like 16 and 8 next season (and he's MORE than capable of doing that), he will be a fringe top 5 pick in 2015.

All depends on whether he 1) bulks up more without losing explosiveness to become a true 4, or 2) expands his range enough and keeps working on his handle to become a true 3. I think if he does either, and puts up numbers like 16 and 8 next season (and he's MORE than capable of doing that), he will be a fringe top 5 pick in 2015.

If he came back [per the scenario you laid out], he'd be the focal point of the offense. He'd have no trouble putting up 16 and 8.

Definitely think he could put up really strong numbers next year. It just seems to me, that at the top of the draft, NBA teams are in love with freshmen/international players.

In the last 5 NBA drafts, there have been 5 juniors taken in the top 5, so more than I thought. Evan Turner, Oladipo, Wes Johnson, Hasheem Thabeet, and Thomas Robinson. So I'll take it back.

If he came back [per the scenario you laid out], he'd be the focal point of the offense. He'd have no trouble putting up 16 and 8.
Honestly of those two numbers, I think the rebounding might even be a little low. He's SUCH a good rebounder. If he comes back, adds a little strength...I honestly think he could potentially put up a double-double average. And hell, probably 3 or 4 of those would come on the offensive glass.

Marshall is bigger and a better passer IMO. Ennis is probably a slightly better shooter (I don't really believe that Marshall is the shooter that his current NBA numbers suggest...just seems weird for him to go from being a horrific shooter to one of the best in the NBA in one year).

It seems most players have a plan coming into the season and tend to stick with it. My sense is that Tyler and his family fully expected him to come back for at least one more year and Jerami came into the year expecting to leave (similar to Donte). That's why, barring a national championship, I think Jerami's gone even if he's projected out of the lottery, and Tyler might stay even if he's projected in it.

the stats guys say that steal percentage is a terrific indicator for success by point guards at the next level. Ennis' is 4.2; Marshall's were 2.4 as a freshman and 2.0 as a soph.

the Lakers are a great spot for Ennis . . . they want to make themselves appealing to Kevin Love when he hits free agency in 2015, and having a pure point guard who can run the pick & roll as good as Rubio while shooting and defending better seems like a necessity in that goal.