30 sec shot clock | Syracusefan.com

30 sec shot clock

upperdeck

Living Legend
less time for teams to not do anything. better for teams that actually play D and try to score on offense. will it pass the vote?

Steve Alford, new UCLA coach, on the possible shot clock change from 35 to 30 seconds:
"I don't buy the argument that shooting will go up or scores. Seems college kids struggle enough knowing how to get good shots in 35 seconds. The shorter clock helps better defensive teams, though. Have fun going against the Syracuse zone with five less seconds."

Let's hope it passes. I'm tired of seeing teams start to initiate their offense after they would be called for a shot clock violation in the NBA.

I've never understood why women have a shorter shot clock than men, so I hope it passes.

not a good idea unless they enforce the no hand-checking rule. Otherwise it will turn into even more thugball.

Sign me up for this change. Women's college basketball has a 30 second shot clock, and if Steve Allford is against it that is enough for me to be for it. The NBA made a change that any foul under 14 seconds would recycle the shot to 14 and 24. This was done to create possessions and increase scoring. Only negative is it would have 5 less seconds for stall ball, but I think college basketball is already skewed to help the underdog that 5 seconds less on the shot clock shouldn't be a problem.

If they want more offense stop the handchecking and grabbing/pushing on defense. It will have a far bigger impact than cutting 5 seconds off the shot clock.

I wish I could "like" this 1,000,000 times!

This could backfire on Syracuse. Teams score on approximately 98.9576% of all possessions against us when the shot clock gets below 8 seconds. The 30 second shot clock will just put teams 5 seconds closer to the "Golden 8 Seconds."

Like it, hope it passes. It will help SU and...Louisville.

I wish I could "like" this 1,000,000 times!

Then I guess I would be in the minority and should ask to say "me not likee" 1,000,000,000 times. Perhaps I'm old school, I don't know, but I like the pace the game is right now. Is it perfect? Hell no, but I'm more than content. Stop f-ng with the game.

What's more important in my book...

How about less time outs to review, like if a guy had is shoes untied, a guy touched another guys a$$, or other dumb calls that don't matter but only take the game away from the players and instead highlight the refs and commercials.

Then I guess I would be in the minority and should ask to say "me not likee" 1,000,000,000 times. Perhaps I'm old school, I don't know, but I like the pace the game is right now. Is it perfect? Hell no, but I'm more than content. Stop f-ng with the game.

What's more important in my book...

How about less time outs to review, like if a guy had is shoes untied, a guy touched another guys a$$, or other dumb calls that don't matter but only take the game away from the players and instead highlight the refs and commercials.

To me calling fouls the way they are supposed to be called and the way the rules are written isn't changing the game. Knocking a guy off balance so he loses the ball out of bounds is a foul, not good defense. Putting both hands on a player as he dribbles on the perimeter is a foul, not good defense. Bumping a player the entire time he is dribbling up the court is a foul, not good defense. Grabbing shorts and/or jerseys of players who are trying to get open off the ball is a foul, not good defense. I can't count the number of times I saw these things happen this year. I used to be a college basketball fan, now I am a Syracuse basketball fan and have no desire to watch a college game that doesn't involve SU.

Hoov... I don't think we are actually in disagreement. The things you mention, I don't like either. However, what you stated for the most part does not relate to the original question at hand about shortening the game clock.

My point, agree with it or not, is that I like the shot clock the way it is. As for issues you raised, that is more of an issue with officiating which I fully support should be called and I believe has received a LOT of discussion this season about these things (more than usual).

I still think we should do away with the bullsh@t officiating calls that stop the game for 5-10 minutes to determine whether there should be .3 or .4 seconds left on the clock during a time where it is not crucial. Inside a minute or two, fine. However, way too many stoppages of play are occurring right now for refs to visit the monitors and the big problem I see with that is that often it penalizes a team on a run, trying to get back in the game.

This would help us on D and we aren't usually a grinding O team either. I'm for it but I have to agree with those saying they need to call hand checking and impeding players.

Hoov... I don't think we are actually in disagreement. The things you mention, I don't like either. However, what you stated for the most part does not relate to the original question at hand about shortening the game clock.

My point, agree with it or not, is that I like the shot clock the way it is. As for issues you raised, that is more of an issue with officiating which I fully support should be called and I believe has received a LOT of discussion this season about these things (more than usual).

I still think we should do away with the bullsh@t officiating calls that stop the game for 5-10 minutes to determine whether there should be .3 or .4 seconds left on the clock during a time where it is not crucial. Inside a minute or two, fine. However, way too many stoppages of play are occurring right now for refs to visit the monitors and the big problem I see with that is that often it penalizes a team on a run, trying to get back in the game.

My one million likes comment was actually made toward a post about clutching and bumping not the original topic of the shot clock. The shot clock time is not much of an issue IMHO.

This rule change helps teams that press, as teams to will have to use more clock before getting into their offensive sets it will cause teams to become either better at executing offense with less time or allow the aggressive team to get more transition offense.

Hey Igor - do you have the math on how this will affect JB's trunk monkey possession calculator?

If they want more offense stop the handchecking and grabbing/pushing on defense. It will have a far bigger impact than cutting 5 seconds off the shot clock.
Completely agree. I don't like watching stall ball for a whole game, but I don't want college to evolve into the NBA either. I like watching a team that moves the ball well and looks for a quality shot. I'd rather see a cleaner game than a faster game with more forced shots.

I think this calls for a shout out to the
<------------------ owner, Daniel Biasone

game is kinda perverted now-
they let them play instead of enforcing the rules as written-

a game developed as a off season fitness tool for football has almost become football with all the contact not called-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom