35th in yards per play margin vs fbs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

35th in yards per play margin vs fbs

pretty sure having 8 Turnovers helped
8???? Good god. I thought it was bad that we couldn’t finish Clemson off with 4. 8, and we would’ve blown them out too. Wow.

FSU's yards per play margin is 43% percent better than ours
And they run the ball with aplomb and if we stack against it they have a QB who can make us pay. Slovis might not be able to do that, we shall see. Not giving up on the FSU game by any means but they are a bad matchup. Anyone who can run the ball (unlike our first 6 opponents) is a bad matchup at the moment

I'm hoping this season can be like 1991. That year we started strong (4-0), then lost a road game against #1 FSU, came back to the Dome and lost to East Carolina, but won out to finish on the cusp of the Top 10.

How about 2018. Start 4-0. Lose a brutal game at Clemson. Follow that up with a disappointing loss to Pitt. Then somehow eek out a win against a bad UNC before getting back to some solid play.

How about 2018. Start 4-0. Lose a brutal game at Clemson. Follow that up with a disappointing loss to Pitt. Then somehow eek out a win against a bad UNC before getting back to some solid play.
Pitt’s kicker kept hitting long field goals to keep them in the game.

The good thing with ND is that it counted as an OOC game. We are still positioned to achieve the best we could hope for, the orange bowl. Based off tonight’s revealing of the CFP poll, Clemson is in at #4 and unless they slip up or lose to UNC in the ACC championship we still have a very good chance for a great bowl, including the orange. UnC came in at #17 and control the coastal. Assuming we do what we need to UNC would need to get caught in the regular season to get them behind us in the rankings. We are currently 1 spot ahead of WF . They are certainly talented, but last week is something that could take all your confidence away. We need this Pitt win extremely bad, and obviously FSU. We do that and UNC slips up , and then the WF game is most likely to see who goes to the orange bowl.

Obviously a lot left to happen, including our injury issues, but the possibilities are still there. These should be our goals. Root against UNC, and Wake, and hope Clemson wins out.

Pre season expectations go out the door when you start 6-0. In my mind 6-6 this year is a monumental let down. Pre season 6-6 was my goal.

You can't possibly look at losing 5 or 6 out of your last 6 as anything other than failure.
A failure? No - had the wins and loses have been more even say we start 3-3 and finish 6-6, I’d look at it just about the same way? A good season given where we were and a nice year vs a tough schedule.

6-0 may have reset expectations, but I have a post from a couple of weeks ago when we were 5-0, stating my expectations have stayed nice and steady at “make a bowl, show improvement”

A failure? No - had the wins and loses have been more even say we start 3-3 and finish 6-6, I’d look at it just about the same way? A good season given where we were and a nice year vs a tough schedule.

6-0 may have reset expectations, but I have a post from a couple of weeks ago when we were 5-0, stating my expectations have stayed nice and steady at “make a bowl, show improvement”
Starting 6-0 and finishing 6-6 is a failure. It would be a failure due to lack of depth, failing to adjust play calling and strategies as teams get film and tendencies. It's a failure of increasing output from the underbelly. I understand the desire to say a bowl game is a success based on prior results but there is no way to spin a 5 or 6 game losing streak to end your season other than failure. Not a single player or coach would be happy with that. From special season to we survived is not success. Hopefully we win out or pick up another 2 or 3 wins. If our one win left on the schedule is BC you can rest on those laurels but that's a let down.

Starting 6-0 and finishing 6-6 is a failure. It would be a failure due to lack of depth, failing to adjust play calling and strategies as teams get film and tendencies. It's a failure of increasing output from the underbelly. I understand the desire to say a bowl game is a success based on prior results but there is no way to spin a 5 or 6 game losing streak to end your season other than failure. Not a single player or coach would be happy with that. From special season to we survived is not success. Hopefully we win out or pick up another 2 or 3 wins. If our one win left on the schedule is BC you can rest on those laurels but that's a let down.
The “underbelly” has already performed well in getting us this far. We were in both loses.

I’m not a player or a coach. I’m a fan that remembers what his expectations were 6 months ago. I wouldn’t enjoy a 5 or 6 game losing streak, but “failure” is a bit much. FSU and Wake are very good, PITT is a toss up and BC is hot garbage. Loses to a playoff bound Clemson and a more talented top to bottom ND team isn’t a failure.

A few weeks ago I said we were b/w a 7-9 win regular season team. I think landing at 8 wins is very good.

We hit 9 wins, that's great.
I was even more pessimistic...at 6-0 I thought 7 or 8 wins was the outcome. I reasoned the season ending injuries, tough away games and our past November history. I hope I'm wrong.

My thoughts easiest to hardest
@BC no reason we can't win this by 14-21 pts

@Pitt and home at FSU. We need to split these at the minimum.

@Wake probably the toughest game left but the Louisville game gives me pause. We have played them well so I think we have a decent chance there.

I really think FSU is the toughest game but being a home game I ranked them with the Pitt group.

If Cuse wins only 6 or 7 games...they are getting the Fenway, Pinstripe (cuz we travel to NYC well) or Military Bowl. The Gasparilla, First Responder and Birmingham Bowls are other possibilities with backdoor tie ins.

If they win 8 games it gets more interesting. The Pinstripe should still be in play but the Mayo, Sun and Holiday Bowls should also be bowls that want Syracuse. I think these are our most likely destinations.

I think the Gator, Cheez-it and Reliaquest (backdoor tie in) want to see us at 9 wins.

Going to have to win out to have a shot at the Orange or Cotton Bowls. The Citrus Bowl is another possibility due to a B1G rule. The Citrus could possibly grab us at 9 wins too.

Confused? LOL yeah me too

Last edited:
And they run the ball with aplomb and if we stack against it they have a QB who can make us pay. Slovis might not be able to do that, we shall see. Not giving up on the FSU game by any means but they are a bad matchup. Anyone who can run the ball (unlike our first 6 opponents) is a bad matchup at the moment
They have a bad kicker, bad 4th down conversion percentage, not great in turnovers, way better than their opponents in moving the ball

Silly to just look at their record to predict.

They are better to begin with (which is no insult, it's FSU) and we are more banged up

The good thing with ND is that it counted as an OOC game. We are still positioned to achieve the best we could hope for, the orange bowl. Based off tonight’s revealing of the CFP poll, Clemson is in at #4 and unless they slip up or lose to UNC in the ACC championship we still have a very good chance for a great bowl, including the orange. UnC came in at #17 and control the coastal. Assuming we do what we need to UNC would need to get caught in the regular season to get them behind us in the rankings. We are currently 1 spot ahead of WF . They are certainly talented, but last week is something that could take all your confidence away. We need this Pitt win extremely bad, and obviously FSU. We do that and UNC slips up , and then the WF game is most likely to see who goes to the orange bowl.

Obviously a lot left to happen, including our injury issues, but the possibilities are still there. These should be our goals. Root against UNC, and Wake, and hope Clemson wins out.
I can see NC taking down Clemson. Their passing has largely been unstoppable and doesn't rely on gimmick meshes like WF does. Clemson D can slow them down some, sure, but not sure Clemson has the QB play to keep up.

I can see NC taking down Clemson. Their passing has largely been unstoppable and doesn't rely on gimmick meshes like WF does. Clemson D can slow them down some, sure, but not sure Clemson has the QB play to keep up.
I don’t know. Having a defense with that many holes is tough to count on. Still have to play @Wake, NC ST.

Those early season close games to an over rated App St 63-61, Ga Souther 35-28, 38-35 vs Duke and 27-24 vs Miami just isn’t that impressive. The only decent win was last week vs Pitt

Drake Maye already throws like an NFL QB. Any NFL team looking for a QB would be foolish not to take a long look at this guy

Drake Maye already throws like an NFL QB. Any NFL team looking for a QB would be foolish not to take a long look at this guy

I think that kid is unbelievable.