36 years ago. The change for the good. What a game | Syracusefan.com

36 years ago. The change for the good. What a game

One of my favorite Cuse games (and teams) of all time. JB finally makes the Final Four after 11 years at the helm.

36 years ago today. The game that put Cuse hoops on the map and the second biggest win in cuse hoops history. Cuse 79. UNC 75. Elite 8 win to the final 4. The airport was mobbed that night with JR who chants.
Amazing game. I’ve watched in a few times through the years. Seikaly was amazing. 26 & 11 against a UNC front line with four dudes 6-9 or bigger (three NBA guys).

Common misconception is that Derrick rocked JR Reid. Not true. DC had 8 points, 14 rebounds… but JR had a solid game (15 & 6).

Kenny Smith was really good. But in the end, Rony carried us. I think Billy Packer was in shock.

rony schooled reid and his dumb butt fade haircut.. great win for the program.

d794eefc6194fda49872fbf2f4b5bac9.jpg

I remember announcers pronouncing it “sick kyle lee” during that run.

36 years ago today. The game that put Cuse hoops on the map and the second biggest win in cuse hoops history. Cuse 79. UNC 75. Elite 8 win to the final 4. The airport was mobbed that night with JR who chants.
Maybe the one big game in Cuse history that I haven't seen. I was skiing at Squaw Valley and none of the bars had the game on.

Amazing game. I’ve watched in a few times through the years. Seikaly was amazing. 26 & 11 against a UNC front line with four dudes 6-9 or bigger (three NBA guys).

Common misconception is that Derrick rocked JR Reid. Not true. DC had 8 points, 14 rebounds… but JR had a solid game (15 & 6).

Kenny Smith was really good. But in the end, Rony carried us. I think Billy Packer was in shock.

What? Who has that misconception?

The misconception was that we couldn't match up with the UNC frontcourt and their depth -- Reid, Wolf, Popson, and Williams.

Well, Seikaly and Coleman were up to the task. Brower gave us quality minutes, and we even had to play little used Herman Harried just to spell the others and steal some minutes... all while playing zone for a few minutes. The bigs from both sides were stooped over from exhaustion over the level of exertion.

Great game. Oh [not directed at your post], and while Smith was the all-american, Sherman was better. One of the few times UNC played a game where Smith wasn't better than the opposition.

Great, great game -- all time incredible program win. I was just a kid, but it is one of the most memorable games I've ever attended in person. Definitely in my top 4 or 5 games.

That was an epic game. I was not enrolled yet but had decided to go there. Did not get a Natty out of it but SU suddenly became a really good program. JAB and Dave Gavitt would make it a national power. Now we start the climb back.

What? Who has that misconception?

The misconception was that we couldn't match up with the UNC frontcourt and their depth -- Reid, Wolf, Popson, and Williams.

Well, Seikaly and Coleman were up to the task. Brower gave us quality minutes, and we even had to play little used Herman Harried just to spell the others and steal some minutes... all while playing zone for a few minutes. The bigs from both sides were stooped over from exhaustion over the level of exertion.

Great game. Oh [not directed at your post], and while Smith was the all-american, Sherman was better. One of the few times UNC played a game where Smith wasn't better than the opposition.

Great, great game -- all time incredible program win. I was just a kid, but it is one of the most memorable games I've ever attended in person. Definitely in my top 4 or 5 games.
I remember Dick Vitale saying in effect, forget about it! JR Reid pump fake, pump fake, Seikaly fouls out!

At least two of my favorite SU basketball wins were over UNC. SU beat UNC my first year at Syracuse 78-76, with Jimmy Lee & Rudy Hackett. That was 48 years ago, before JB’s long run. Our first final four. I watched the UNC game a bunch of times in the lounge between Flint and Day Hall. That experience has aged well.

The first Cuse game I ever watched. I came in rooting for Carolina (got my Masters there). I came out a Cuse fan.

I remember Dick Vitale saying in effect, forget about it! JR Reid pump fake, pump fake, Seikaly fouls out!

Yeah, one of the things I recalled most during that run to the Final Four was how Vitale kept throwing up on Seikaly. First, how a frosh in Dwayne Schintzius was going to dominate Rony in the S16 game leading the way to a Florida W. Then, how Reid was going to mop the floor with him too leading UNC to victory.

He sure ate a lot of crow afterwards. :)

At least two of my favorite SU basketball wins were over UNC. SU beat UNC my first year at Syracuse 78-76, with Jimmy Lee & Rudy Hackett. That was 48 years ago, before JB’s long run. Our first final four. I watched the UNC game a bunch of times in the lounge between Flint and Day Hall. That experience has aged well.
It seems people here forget about that game. An all time favorite of mine.

One of the all-time great Cuse wins. The game is on YouTube and I watched it again a few years ago. At the time, our family was driving to Glens Falls for the state high school basketball championships, and we had to watch the game on a little television in the family van and the signal kept cutting in and out at the end. It was stressful! When we got back, my parents immediately booked tickets to New Orleans for the Final Four.

I was at that game. Had seats right behind one of the baskets a couple rows back. We spent most of the game standing on our seats. One of the most satisfying car rides back to Syracuse the next day that I can remember. I think we talked about the game for 4 hours straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom