4-18, 3-10, 2-10, 3-12 | Syracusefan.com

4-18, 3-10, 2-10, 3-12

Millhouse

Living Legend
Cooney and Gbinije are killing us. 12-50 last four games

Tough stretch. Didn't think it was quite that poor. They'll snap out of it, although the irony of a shooting guard who seemingly can't shoot is pretty epic.

At least they are both healthy. Imagine if either of those guys had to sit a game or two. I like Mike G, but don't know if anyone else is ready for guard minutes yet.

Bad, no doubt. But -- even with the slump -- an upgrade from the production we got from this position last season.

the only guy who has hit over 40% in all four of the last four games is Grant, and it appears his back has given out from trying to carry the offensive efficiency load ;)

Bad, no doubt. But -- even with the slump -- an upgrade from the production we got from this position last season.
On what basis? Triche averaged more points, rebounds and assists than TC is averaging this year.

It is not just about offense. The top 10 offensive scoring teams in the nation only 2 are ranked Iowa State and Iowa. The top 10 teams in scoring defense (Virginia, Clemson, San Diego St, Cincinnati, Arizona, tOSU, Syracuse, Florida, Miami(FL), NCCentral) 7 are ranked in the top 25.

Gbinije has averaged 1 rebound, 1 assist, .25 block, 1.5 steals and .75 turnovers in that 4 games. Cooney has averaged 2 rebounds, .75 assists, 1.25 steals, and .25 turnovers. What stands out for me is the turnovers and the steals. These stats lead to possessions. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to capitalize on all of these possessions but without them the other team could.

It is not just about offense. The top 10 offensive scoring teams in the nation only 2 are ranked Iowa State and Iowa. The top 10 teams in scoring defense (Virginia, Clemson, San Diego St, Cincinnati, Arizona, tOSU, Syracuse, Florida, Miami(FL), NCCentral) 7 are ranked in the top 25.

Gbinije has averaged 1 rebound, 1 assist, .25 block, 1.5 steals and .75 turnovers in that 4 games. Cooney has averaged 2 rebounds, .75 assists, 1.25 steals, and .25 turnovers. What stands out for me is the turnovers and the steals. These stats lead to possessions. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to capitalize on all of these possessions but without them the other team could.
i agree it's not just about offense but i thought it wasn't worth mentioning that we have good defense.

i agree it's not just about offense but i thought it wasn't worth mentioning that we have good defense.

Good defense can cover for a lot of bad offense. If we could figure out how to put complete games together on both sides of the ball we would be unstoppable.

How can you say either of these players are killing us?

It's our entire offense that is killing us. Granted both these players need to improve in certain areas. Gbinije needs to finish at the hop, cut down on fouls and silly mistakes. Cooney needs to realize when the opposition isn't giving him quality open looks, and find other ways to create offense.

I wouldn't say either of these guys are the focal points of our 2 losses though.

Ennis and Fair also played fairly horrible against BC.

And we got beat by Duke with some questionable calls at Cameron.

Our offense will bounce back guys, I feel like this happens every year.

It's our entire offense that is killing us. Granted both these players need to improve in certain areas. Gbinije needs to finish at the hop, cut down on fouls and silly mistakes. Cooney needs to realize when the opposition isn't giving him quality open looks, and find other ways to create offense.

I wouldn't say either of these guys are the focal points of our 2 losses though.

I think JB has told Ennis to look more to score which is great. It takes some pressure off Cooney and Fair.

ennis and fair have not been consistently bad those 4 games the way gbinije and cooney have

Good defense can cover for a lot of bad offense. If we could figure out how to put complete games together on both sides of the ball we would be unstoppable.
pick up the pace and having a shooting guard make a shot here or there. i'm not doom and gloom. as february swoons go, this one is pretty good

What Gbinije and Cooney add to our team can't be measured in stats and numbers.

Cooney gives us a real three point threat which forces opposing defenses to guard and prevent open threes. This opens up our offense and provides many opportunities for JG, CJ and Rak.

Gbinije's versatility position wise has helped relieve the foul pressure especially during BMK's injury. I don't know where this team would be right now without MG being able to play any of 4 positions for us.

They may be in slumps, but they still provide positives for the team just being out there.

Cooney will find away out of this shooting slump and Gbinije will continue to satisfy w.e. purpose JB sets out for him.

On what basis? Triche averaged more points, rebounds and assists than TC is averaging this year.

Hmm. I might be wrong. I was just thinking of shooting percentage; didn't take the other stuff into account.

Triche, though streaky, was a great guard for us.
Anyone who has had a long career here and played significant minutes has been called streaky at some point. It's the nature of the game.

Anyone who has had a long career here and played significant minutes has been called streaky at some point. It's the nature of the game.

I can't do the research right now, but, as counter-examples: John Wallace, Hakim Warrick, Derrick Coleman.

"Great" (not your word, I understand) is thrown around too liberally for my taste. Those guys and others who were double-digit scorers, night after night, really were great.

It's OK to note that other talented four-year winners were simply "good Syracuse players."

I can't do the research right now, but, as counter-examples: John Wallace, Hakim Warrick, Derrick Coleman.

"Great" (not your word, I understand) is thrown around too liberally for my taste. Those guys and others who were double-digit scorers, night after night, really were great.

It's OK to note that other talented four-year winners were simply "good Syracuse players."
on the other hand:

individual numbers are nice, but not as nice as winning. Triche was on the floor for more victories than any other Syracuse player ever, and at 10-4 he is tied with Sherman Douglas and trails only Stevie Thomson and Derrick Coleman (11-4) for most NCAA tournament wins. Of course, he was never the main guy on those teams - he was never even the #2 guy. But he was an integral part of the best extended run that Syracuse baseketball has ever had.

on the other hand:

individual numbers are nice, but not as nice as winning. Triche was on the floor for more victories than any other Syracuse player ever, and at 10-4 he is tied with Sherman Douglas and trails only Stevie Thomson and Derrick Coleman (11-4) for most NCAA tournament wins. Of course, he was never the main guy on those teams - he was never even the #2 guy. But he was an integral part of the best extended run that Syracuse baseketball has ever had.

All true.

And if forced to choose between the two, I'd rather have wins than great players (that's probably why a lot of us root for the team, though it'd make for an interesting debate).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom