4-18, 3-10, 2-10, 3-12 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

4-18, 3-10, 2-10, 3-12

on the other hand:

individual numbers are nice, but not as nice as winning. Triche was on the floor for more victories than any other Syracuse player ever, and at 10-4 he is tied with Sherman Douglas and trails only Stevie Thomson and Derrick Coleman (11-4) for most NCAA tournament wins. Of course, he was never the main guy on those teams - he was never even the #2 guy. But he was an integral part of the best extended run that Syracuse baseketball has ever had.
did anyone care about that stat before triche?

wins is a crappy measure for pitchers and hockey goalies and it's really bad for basketball players

triche was fine, i'm just talking about that stat.

on the other hand:

individual numbers are nice, but not as nice as winning. Triche was on the floor for more victories than any other Syracuse player ever, and at 10-4 he is tied with Sherman Douglas and trails only Stevie Thomson and Derrick Coleman (11-4) for most NCAA tournament wins. Of course, he was never the main guy on those teams - he was never even the #2 guy. But he was an integral part of the best extended run that Syracuse baseketball has ever had.

The first three years, I agree he never was the main option, but for most of last year he was either 1A or 1B. Most plays were designed for him and MCW to handle the ball, and thats why we struggled at the end of last year, because he just flat out stunk, and the offense was designed for him or MCW to go to the basket. It wasn't a coincidence that once he started playing better in the Big East tournament the whole team started playing better.

I think JB has told Ennis to look more to score which is great. It takes some pressure off Cooney and Fair.

FINALLY! A GREAT NAME OR SIGN!

I still think some student needs to make a "boeheim has a bigger ennis" sign. Its so obvious, im the only person that has thought of it.

Millhouse said:
did anyone care about that stat before triche? wins is a crappy measure for pitchers and hockey goalies and it's really bad for basketball players triche was fine, i'm just talking about that stat.

You're right, might be the worst for basketball players. Not sure what it's supposed to measure honestly.

You're right, might be the worst for basketball players. Not sure what it's supposed to measure honestly.

Measure our Ennis size!

probably not, but I'll keep posting it as long as we are on this run.

Both Baye & CJ could pass Triche on both lists this year, and Roc looks like he is going to pass everyone by the time he is finished.

I can't do the research right now, but, as counter-examples: John Wallace, Hakim Warrick, Derrick Coleman.

"Great" (not your word, I understand) is thrown around too liberally for my taste. Those guys and others who were double-digit scorers, night after night, really were great.

It's OK to note that other talented four-year winners were simply "good Syracuse players."
I get you, but guys like Coleman and Wallace (and even Warrick to some extent) played before player performance was scrutinized to ridiculous levels. Today, many fans and media types react to an off game or two with panic, jump to conclusions and want to extrapolate that performance forward. And of course the opposite occurs after a player or team performs well.

My point is that variation in performance is part of the game. Even those players that seem to consistently produce are affected; just look at the game-by-game lines for any great player now or from the past and you'll see what I mean.

I get you, but guys like Coleman and Wallace (and even Warrick to some extent) played before player performance was scrutinized to ridiculous levels. Today, many fans and media types react to an off game or two with panic, jump to conclusions and want to extrapolate that performance forward. And of course the opposite occurs after a player or team performs well.

My point is that variation in performance is part of the game. Even those players that seem to consistently produce are affected; just look at the game-by-game lines for any great player now or from the past and you'll see what I mean.

That's possible. I wouldn't mind undertaking that as a project, honestly.

One thing is certain: Triche and other recent players have worked under a system in which the commitment to defense and physical fitness is much stronger than it was when any of the guys I mentioned played. That's an important difference, I believe.

One thing is certain: Triche and other recent players have worked under a system in which the commitment to defense and physical fitness is much stronger than it was when any of the guys I mentioned played. That's an important difference, I believe.
I absolutely agree. And I believe defense (as currently played at SU) is the element of the game that is most consistently present from game to game. But most people focus on offensive performance when they talk about inconsistency in play.

Triche was an extremely consistent and effective presence at the top of zone, but many choose to remember him only for his shooting slumps, none of which seemed to impact his effort and performance in other aspects of the game.

I absolutely agree. And I believe defense (as currently played at SU) is the element of the game that is most consistently present from game to game. But most people focus on offensive performance when they talk about inconsistency in play.

Triche was an extremely consistent and effective presence at the top of zone, but many choose to remember him only for his shooting slumps, none of which seemed to impact his effort and performance in other aspects of the game.

I'll give him that - and that's extremely rare, I think. Despite a lingering three-year back injury and some real and prolonged shooting slumps, Triche was never one to hang his head or take a defensive play off. He burned a ton of energy on that end.

wins is a crappy measure for pitchers and hockey goalies and it's really bad for basketball players

triche was fine, i'm just talking about that stat.
I'm not trying to make an argument with you, because if you don't like the stat you don't like it, so be it.

but I was listening to Bill Self on the radio this morning. He said (paraphrasing) "when you are talking about point guards or leaders or team captains, the only stat that matters is wins."

I'm not trying to make an argument with you, because if you don't like the stat you don't like it, so be it.

but I was listening to Bill Self on the radio this morning. He said (paraphrasing) "when you are talking about point guards or leaders or team captains, the only stat that matters is wins."
i'm not trying to make an argument but a coach agrees with the argument i'm not making

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom