4-2-5 Study Hall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

4-2-5 Study Hall

What's your alternative ? The other LBs who are smaller?
I mean, I don’t know that the other LBs are smaller. He is like 6’ 208. I think even Fagan is bigger than he is. I’d probably go with someone like Richards or Williams though; someone who can consistently stop the run.

Whitner did play LB. By bringing him up I'm not questioning his ability to play the position, I am questioning the decision to play a 4-2-5 formation when one of your starting LBs is 6'0" 215 and your nickel CB is 5'8" 177.
They are "playing small" just by taking a LB off the field, but when the players in these positions are even smaller than average its an additional concern (for me anyway).

I think Cordy will do a great job, especially covering guys like Sean Riley, in the slot. He plays bigger than his size when he comes up to defend the run in the open field. But, if he's going to be closer to the line of scrimmage, he could be easily pushed around at the line on run plays.

Whitner being a former Safety should be one of our better cover LBs. Against a quick passing team like ourselves, it should be very effective. However, if we trot out the 4-2-5 defense, especially at our current size, the opposing offense can run the ball at will and keep us from making substitutions. I saw it with the Bills.

Again, I am happy to be wrong, and trust Babers, but I am definitely concerned. In the future, when we have tall and rangy LBs that are 6'4" 227 like Richards it could be different. Having safeties like Cam Jonas 6'1" 209 is going to help. CBs like Trill at 6'2" 202 is amazing no matter what defense you run. Maybe they've always wanted to run this defense, it did seem like they were recruiting for the transition, but is this season going to be a painful first year? And, can Babers withstand another year of not winning because of his defense?
I do understand your points about Whitner's skillset and Cordy being undersized. With that, I think they will rotate guys in. Don't forget smaller and faster doesnt mean it won't be better. BC and Pitt are the only two 21/22 personnel teams. We will bring in more LB's for them. Washington St became one of the top defenses last year because they put smaller, quicker and more athletic guys on the field. You can do a whole lot with disguising coverages and sending more blitzes. Shafer's defense is another good example

I mean, I don’t know that the other LBs are smaller. He is like 6’ 208. I think even Fagan is bigger than he is. I’d probably go with someone like Richards or Williams though; someone who can consistently stop the run.

I mean how do you know they can? Williams was injured all spring and I assume Richards couldn't win the job.

I suspect August camp will shake some things out though.

Lot of assumptions, mine is that some of the other guys like Fagan don't have the mental part down yet, the checks/key etc the film room and prep. They'll get their shot.

I do understand your points about Whitner's skillset and Cordy being undersized. With that, I think they will rotate guys in. Don't forget smaller and faster doesnt mean it won't be better. BC and Pitt are the only two 21/22 personnel teams. We will bring in more LB's for them. Washington St became one of the top defenses last year because they put smaller, quicker and more athletic guys on the field. You can do a whole lot with disguising coverages and sending more blitzes. Shafer's defense is another good example

I somewhat feel like this debate keeps happening: big athletic guys vs small and fast guys. I really hope we didn’t waste three recruiting cycles on the former just to change to the latter.

I mean how do you know they can? Williams was injured all spring and I assume Richards couldn't win the job.

I suspect August camp will shake some things out though.

I’m not saying whether they can or can’t. I’m only saying I’m genuinely surprised that a Whitner is listed as the starter at linebacker in a nickel defense.

This is key. With FSU going with a spread, the base defense shift makes even more sense.

Hope someone asks Dino about this today!

I somewhat feel like this debate keeps happening: big athletic guys vs small and fast guys. I really hope we didn’t waste three recruiting cycles on the former just to change to the latter.

I don't think it's a change in philosophy as much as it's just getting the best guys on the field. And as others have said, I'd be shocked if we didn't rotate other guys in more often.

Whats the alternative then ?

And who cares what happened in Buffalo. I never understood comparing pro teams to college teams
The alternative is to play a base 4-3 as they have been and only utilize the nickel in passing situations. That way they are taking advantage of the additional size the third linebacker brings on run plays while also being able to utilizing Whitner's coverage ability in passing situations.

If we mostly play against spread offenses that call for the nickel almost exclusively, than it makes more sense. I just think when you play so small you leave yourself open to be taken advantage of.

Its a complex situation and their defense will surely change for strategic purposes, but in theory, base offense against base defense is to our disadvantage unless playing the spread.

The alternative is to play a base 4-3 as they have been and only utilize the nickel in passing situations. That way they are taking advantage of the additional size the third linebacker brings on run plays while also being able to utilizing Whitner's coverage ability in passing situations.

If we mostly play against spread offenses that call for the nickel almost exclusively, than it makes more sense. I just think when you play so small you leave yourself open to be taken advantage of.

Its a complex situation and their defense will surely change for strategic purposes, but in theory, base offense against base defense is to our disadvantage unless playing the spread.

Our schedule has more “spread teams” than not ... by a lot

Taken advantage of in what way? We have one extra athlete out there that matches up better against the great skill players of the ACC. When teams bring in TE's and Hbacks then we will bring in more LB's. Its that simple.

Yeah, again, I don’t have anything against him. Im just really surprised that they have him starting at the linebacker position when we have players that Babers and co. recruited specifically for that position. Furthermore, he isnt particularly experienced. He has the same LB experience as Tyrell Richards, Nadarius Fagan, and the JUCOs.

He also isn’t particularly big. He seemed more like a nickel, which would seem to make a lot of sense given his background. Regardless, I can’t wait to be proven wrong.
Its not really about proving people wrong. He is better than Fagan and Richards. The coaches are clearly saying that. Coaches see and know everything throughout the year. The fans see watered down spring games and try to come up with a list of guys we think should be on the field. Thats including myself.

Taken advantage of in what way? We have one extra athlete out there that matches up better against the great skill players of the ACC. When teams bring in TE's and Hbacks then we will bring in more LB's. Its that simple.
By the run; as said before (maybe not as clearly in the post you quoted). When you are in the nickel, you are far more susceptible against the run to begin with. Then factor in the size of Whitner and Bailey and its scary. Their will probably be at least one WR on every team we face that matches Whitner's 6'0" 215. We alone have RTB at 6'1" 215 and Custis 6'5" 213. And, Bailey will often be the smallest player on the field.

We agree that the defense will change based on the offensive personnel which renders a lot of this moot.

But, for me:

3- WRs = 4-3
4+ WRs = 4-2-5

Coaches see and know everything throughout the year.
I love Babers, but even he doesn't see and know everything. He has assistants, that he trusts, to run things when he's not around. NONE of them are perfect. They are privy to information that we as fans do not have, but that doesn't mean they always use it to make the right decisions. That is not even factoring in the possibility that sometimes coaches are even too close to the situation or become partial to a player or system whether it is working out or not.

One thing I will say about the decision is, it appears, that they are trying to make the defense fit the personnel rather than the other way around. I love that. That's what good coaches are supposed to do. I'm not thrilled that it means we are built to be a nickel defense with undersized players, but maybe that is the best chance we have. Even if they fail miserably, it doesn't necessarily mean they were wrong. It just means we need better personnel or better people to judge the right system to use.

That’s true and not a ton of oline are gonna block Cordy in open.

By the run; as said before (maybe not as clearly in the post you quoted). When you are in the nickel, you are far more susceptible against the run to begin with. Then factor in the size of Whitner and Bailey and its scary. Their will probably be at least one WR on every team we face that matches Whitner's 6'0" 215. We alone have RTB at 6'1" 215 and Custis 6'5" 213. And, Bailey will often be the smallest player on the field.

We agree that the defense will change based on the offensive personnel which renders a lot of this moot.

But, for me:

3- WRs = 4-3
4+ WRs = 4-2-5
Yes match ups with opponents is factored in. I will take a match up with Whitner vs Custis or RTB. Both have done nothing to this point. Im sure coaches will bring in bigger nickels for certain situations, Dwayne Johnson, Clarke or Melifonwu can be used in various roles.

Yes match ups with opponents is factored in. I will take a match up with Whitner vs Custis or RTB. Both have done nothing to this point. Im sure coaches will bring in bigger nickels for certain situations, Dwayne Johnson, Clarke or Melifonwu can be used in various roles.
I guess it comes down to you trusting the Coaches, Brian Ward in particular, far more than I do. I'm not saying it won't work or they won't make the right calls. I'm saying I'm concerned they won't. Go Orange!

I love Babers, but even he doesn't see and know everything. He has assistants, that he trusts, to run things when he's not around. NONE of them are perfect. They are privy to information that we as fans do not have, but that doesn't mean they always use it to make the right decisions. That is not even factoring in the possibility that sometimes coaches are even too close to the situation or become partial to a player or system whether it is working out or not.

One thing I will say about the decision is, it appears, that they are trying to make the defense fit the personnel rather than the other way around. I love that. That's what good coaches are supposed to do. I'm not thrilled that it means we are built to be a nickel defense with undersized players, but maybe that is the best chance we have. Even if they fail miserably, it doesn't necessarily mean they were wrong. It just means we need better personnel or better people to judge the right system to use.
lol I didnt say any coach is perfect but why are you are assumming they are wrong? I dont think every decision is correct but I know they are in the best position to coach the kids in their scheme. Ive coached for 20 years and it cracks me up how people think they know something about my scheme and my kids. They only see what happens on game days. They dont know what goes on behind the scenes. So many things that factors into decisions.

Last edited:
lol I didnt say any coach is perfect but why are you are assumming they are wrong? I dont think every decision is correct but I know they are in the best position to coach the kids in their scheme. Ive coached for 20 years and it cracks me up how people think they know something about my scheme and my kids. They only see what happens on game days. They dont know what goes on behind the scenes. So many things that factored into decisions.
I could just as easily ask "why are you assuming they are right"? Neither of us should be assuming anything. We take what we've learned over years of playing, coaching and watching the sport and develop opinions. I have expressed my concern and you have expressed your support. Ah, the joys of online forums. :)

I guess it comes down to you trusting the Coaches, Brian Ward in particular, far more than I do. I'm not saying it won't work or they won't make the right calls. I'm saying I'm concerned they won't. Go Orange!
I think you over analyzing the scheme. What he's doing is not unorthodox. It makes sense to why he's doing it. I dont see guys line up wrong or out of position. I see common stunts blitzes and coverages that most teams uses. Of course there is head scratching plays. Mostly I see guys losing match ups and having brain farts. That will all get better with more physically and mentally mature players. As far as Ward, he's a sharp guy that knows what he's doing. He needs all his players to do it. I didnt like the collapse at the end of the season.. I was vocal about that. I understand they were worn out but I also thought some of the players stopped playing for him. I could be wrong. Its just what it looked like. Some times its matter of being a prink and demanding accountability without the players turning on you. How fired does he gets? I dont know.

I could just as easily ask "why are you assuming they are right"? Neither of us should be assuming anything. We take what we've learned over years of playing, coaching and watching the sport and develop opinions. I have expressed my concern and you have expressed your support. Ah, the joys of online forums. :)
Im not supporting anything. Thats the difference. Im giving opinions about a scheme that I run and why other teams run it. You're speaking more about players you would like to see play in it. I dont know how anyone can possibly know who should be playing where if they are not part of the staff?

I think you over analyzing the scheme.
On a personal note, at the core of my being appears to be a need to "over analyze". Not only is there a need and a desire, I tend to enjoy it. ;)

On a personal note, at the core of my being appears to be a need to "over analyze". Not only is there a need and a desire, I tend to enjoy it. ;)
Glad you enjoy it. Its not as complicated as people think. Every one runs nickel defense. Some more than other depends on the opponents and match ups. I will love to answer any questions about defense if you like and vice versa. I enjoy it too.

Its not really about proving people wrong. He is better than Fagan and Richards. The coaches are clearly saying that. Coaches see and know everything throughout the year. The fans see watered down spring games and try to come up with a list of guys we think should be on the field. Thats including myself.

I’m not saying that he’s not. I’m saying I’m surprised. This is either a very good thing or a VERY bad thing.

Im not supporting anything. Thats the difference. Im giving opinions about a scheme that I run and why other teams run it. You're speaking more about players you would like to see play in it. I dont know how anyone can possibly know who should be playing where if they are not part of the staff?
If that is your point of contention with me, then I implore you to go back and read what I wrote from the beginning. I believe even in the first thing you quoted from me is "Whitner did play LB. By bringing him up I'm not questioning his ability to play the position, I am questioning the decision to play a 4-2-5 formation when one of your starting LBs is 6'0" 215 and your nickel CB is 5'8" 177."

Although I know you don't like me questioning the coach, my concern is the 4-2-5 formation with undersized players. One of those undersized players is Whitner. I'm not normally a "size matters" person, ability and determination are more important, but that doesn't prevent me from having concerns when I've seen it fail elsewhere. Maybe Ward will do a better job, but I don't have confidence.

If that is your point of contention with me, then I implore you to go back and read what I wrote from the beginning. I believe even in the first thing you quoted from me is "Whitner did play LB. By bringing him up I'm not questioning his ability to play the position, I am questioning the decision to play a 4-2-5 formation when one of your starting LBs is 6'0" 215 and your nickel CB is 5'8" 177."

Although I know you don't like me questioning the coach, my concern is the 4-2-5 formation with undersized players. One of those undersized players is Whitner. I'm not normally a "size matters" person, ability and determination are more important, but that doesn't prevent me from having concerns when I've seen it fail elsewhere. Maybe Ward will do a better job, but I don't have confidence.
You can question coaches all you want because I do too. I dont dislike you doing that. You should question things you dont understand. Im trying to help you better understand what the coaches are doing. Through my experience the undersized players works when you are replacing with more speed, athelticism and instincts. Big is not always better when you can't even get in position to make the play. IMO you dont have to be too concerned about that combination of size. We've already mentioned how it will be based on personnel of the opponent. You should have questioned the scheme last year. We played a 4-3 with LB's that were 209 and 215. Thats more alarming. Its also more proof that size have to be overlooked because at one point we were a decent defense with those undersized LB's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom