4 and 3 with a bye week and 5 more games | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

4 and 3 with a bye week and 5 more games

In defense of '12 vs say 93 and 94 was how that season finished and the fallout after. We were on a heater at the end of that year and it felt like Marrone was just starting to cook finally.

93 finished like the sound of a fart slowly winding down and 94 we just ran out of gas offensively (yet 93 and 94 we had better winning %).

I do think we collectively have PTWD (post traumatic winning disorder). Dino has been a sturdy presence around the program and has been really clever in not allowing himself to be taken down by the mediocrity. He just sails above it because the program is never in the cross hair of bad publicity, bad actors, etc.

I think the way college football is going, i'm with scooch on the idea that it doesn't matter really morality wise if we are altar boys or cowboys. It's a winning trumps everything model now. And winning can mean constant churn.
Re: 2012, for sure. It just always amuses me that people speak so reverently about that team.

We were 4-5 and there was a TON of "fire Marrone" chatter here. Then we win a whole 3 straight to end the season (beating a 5-7 Mizzou and a 4-7 Temple), win a bowl game, and suddenly it's held up alongside 1987 on this board.

All I’m saying is given the inherent limitations that this program has (geographically, infrastructure, perception, etc) we’d be hard pressed to do any better than Babers, who has us on track for a winning season.

CRUMP

(intransitive, US, medical slang) (of one's health) to decline rapidly (but not as rapidly as crash).

The last 3 games are lined up nicely for us. All three are coming off of rough opponents the week before.

Pitt likely will have 6 or 7 Ls going in. They are coming off of Notre Dame and FSU so they will be banged up for sure.

GA Tech will have at least 5 Ls and are coming off of Clemson. Plus we are sandwiched between them and UGA.

Wake is coming off of Notre Dame.

I can live with 7-5 and a warm ish bowl game. 3-5 in the ACC is acceptable given our record since joining the league.

If I was Wildhack I would extend Dino now before some school with a better pedigree and deeper pockets poaches him. He’s done an amazing job here considering what he’s working with. It’s all relative.
I don’t think we have to worry about some school poaching Babers.

Last edited:
did
The last 3 games are lined up nicely for us. All three are coming off of rough opponents the week before.

Pitt likely will have 6 or 7 Ls going in. They are coming off of Notre Dame and FSU so they will be banged up for sure.

GA Tech will have at least 5 Ls and are coming off of Clemson. Plus we are sandwiched between them and UGA.

Wake is coming off of Notre Dame.
did not realize all of that, nice research there

Re: 2012, for sure. It just always amuses me that people speak so reverently about that team.

We were 4-5 and there was a TON of "fire Marrone" chatter here. Then we win a whole 3 straight to end the season (beating a 5-7 Mizzou and a 4-7 Temple), win a bowl game, and suddenly it's held up alongside 1987 on this board.
I think it’s a function of generational expectations.

The end of 12 people felt hopeful finally and there was a coach taking it up a notch. However for those of us who lived through the salad days it was akin to a mediocre mid 90 season record wise.

No, those teams were worse. We have still had quality games that give us that glimmer of hope, and then they fail to turn up on national tv for a big game, time after time. Stage fright.
Temple and Rutgers were so bad, they'd only win a couple games a year. We've only completely fallen apart the COVID, one win year. We've been better than '90s Big East era Temple or Rutgers.
What is really odd is that I actually enjoyed watching the COVID season. I think it's because compared to what was going on in the world football just didn't seem like that big a deal, so I was able to just enjoy the games for what they were and not get so obsessively wrapped up in wins and losses and crappy play.

Now...it's back to banging my head off the wall.

I think it’s a function of generational expectations.

The end of 12 people felt hopeful finally and there was a coach taking it up a notch. However for those of us who lived through the salad days it was akin to a mediocre mid 90 season record wise.
Anyone who watches college football knows it takes time to build up a program, especially from as far as the Syracuse program had fallen. It was clear that Doug had Syracuse rising getting back to what it was.

Last edited:
All I’m saying is given the inherent limitations that this program has (geographically, infrastructure, perception, etc) we’d be hard pressed to do any better than Babers, who has us on track for a winning season.
You’re new here, no? Hard pressed to do any better than Babers? He’s had eight years. Is this what we aspire to? There are other programs that were junk until they made a coaching change, Kansas, Duke. Why not us?

The inevitable woe-is-us post. If we had geographic limitations, then ND, Michigan, Penn State would never get any recruits. Infrastructure? I guess you haven't been paying much attention. Perception? Is valid only until something changes. Finish the season at 8 - 4 or 7- 5 and we are perceived to be pretty good.

The funny thing about that 2012 team is that some people seem to have forgotten how it unfolded.

We lost our first two games of the season, starting out 0-2 and losing the opener against Northwestern in soul-crushing fashion. Then we beat a non-P5 before getting whipped on the road @ Minnesota [don't let the close score fool you; we got held without a TD until the final minute, making the score seem a lot closer than how lopsided the game actually was].

1-3 start, and the board was tearing itself apart. DESPITE the team putting up solid offensive numbers, they weren't translating into wins.

We then beat Pitt by a point, 14-13 ["it's not that we win, it's HOW WE PLAY"], before losing to Rutgers to bring our record to 2-4.

We got our record to 5-5, but faced disaster on the road at Missouri in a game that turned the tide of the season. After being down big early to a middling Missouri squad, Alec Lemon suddenly became unguardable, and we ended up winning an exciting squeaker late. Lose that game, and who knows how the trajectory of the season plays out. But we found a way to win, and that propelled the team down the stretch -- and we ended the season on a 4 game winning streak [including the bowl].

There's still a lot of football left to be played in 2023. And how we play will determine how most people view this season through the lens of hindsight. But a lot of the complaints in this thread being expressed now...
  • Who have we beaten?
  • It's HOW we're losing...
  • We're not winning "pretty" enough...
  • I'm ready to move on from the coach

...are very similar to the things that many posters were proclaiming in 2012, at various points throughout the season.

There was a poster -- who I won't name -- who was all over Marrone needing to be fired, because he'd lost something like 6 or 7 games in a row, dating back to the previous season, when we got off to the 0-2 start. The same Doug Marrone who used that season to springboard into an NFL head coaching position. So...

Just win, baby. And if we don't, then Dino needs to go. And if we do, then he deserves the opportunity to build upon two consecutive bowls, and an improved record three years in a row.

And if we close the season winning 8, 9, or somehow more games [factoring in a bowl] -- then the accolades and positive sentiment will be deserved, because the team / coaching staff will have earned it.
I actually remember writing a post after the slow start record wise, as a guy that wasn't a Marrone fan, about how we were seeing great signs from the offense and how that meant it wasn't time to abandon ship.

I would love to have Marrone step in this January and keep the current coaching staff and say adios to Dino.
MArrone got everything out of the talent and depth that the team had at the time. I don't see that "drive" in Dino that Marrone had.

Yeah...I know...aint gonna happen

Anyone else kinda happy there’s no game today? Lol I find myself not having a neck ache already
Went for my morning dip and the water is actually still really good. But yes its nice to not have another pants down beating to look forward to.

#wecantdoanybetter…….ever

I actually remember writing a post after the slow start record wise, as a guy that wasn't a Marrone fan, about how we were seeing great signs from the offense and how that meant it wasn't time to abandon ship.
You remember writing a post on a fan board 11 years ago? I don't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. I will see you in hell for that OG! Though it is entirely possible I won't remember why I would see you there when that happens.

You remember writing a post on a fan board 11 years ago? I don't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. I will see you in hell for that OG! Though it is entirely possible I won't remember why I would see you there when that happens.
I remember writing posts on previous iterations of our board community, because, well, I have problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom